Chapter Ten

Flatline

Chapter Ten

 

Junghyun sat at the side of the room as two police officers were talking to Jungkook. A restraining hand on his shoulder was the only thing keeping him in the room instead of chasing and murdering Jinyoung. He looked up and into the tearful gaze of Hoseok. He gave a weak smile and squeezed the had on his shoulder, mouthing the words ‘Thank you’ to him. Hoseok returned the weak smile. Neither of them had been prepared for what they had heard from Jungkook.

 

“We’ll be arresting him shortly,” one of the officers informed him.

 

“We may call on you again,” the other added as they left the room.

 

Junghyun could keep still no longer as he got up and rushed over to the bed, grabbing Jungkook’s hand he asked, “Why didn’t you tell me?” He needed to know why the younger had never said a word to him.

 

“I couldn’t, I didn’t want him to hurt you. He said he would if I said anything. I had to keep you safe,” he said, “I know, I know I should have. Should have done something. Should have never believed the words he had told me at the beginning, but… but once I… I did love. I did and I thought he loved me,” Jungkook babbled, tears falling once more after keeping his composure for so long while the police officers were in the room taking his statement.

 

“Oh Kookie,” Junghyun cried softly wanting to pull his brother into his arms and hold him. The only thing that stopped him was his fear of hurting Jungkook.

 

“I’m sorry,” he sobbed brokenly as he reached out.

 

Junghyun looked at him for a millisecond before moving closer and holding him gently in his arms, careful of his injuries and the fact that he had been through surgery almost twenty-four hours before. “You’ve nothing to be sorry about, I love you, little brother, I just wish I had been able to notice what was going on sooner,” he murmured, doing his best to reassure him. It hadn’t even been him that had really noticed it straight away, but Yoongi. He had to give it to the doctor, he had been the one to come to him and tell him what he suspected.

 

There was a knock on the door. Hoseok moved away from the bothers and opened it. Namjoon was standing here with a soft smile on his face, “Hey,” the paramedic greeted him.

 

“Just thought I would stop by for a moment,” Namjoon said with a nod.

 

“Okay, erm,” Hoseok murmured looked back at the two.

 

“Let him in,” Junghyun said as he let his brother go and helped him to settle back down on the bed.

 

Namjoon walked in and over to the bed, “I saw the police leave,” he said softly, “I’ve been told that something has happened and that you may need someone to talk to,” he told Jungkook, his voice gentle and soothing.

 

Junghyun’s phone buzzed, he answered the call going out of the room. Jungkook looked to Namjoon, “I… I don’t know,” he shook his head a little.

 

“Just know that if you want someone to talk to I’m here. I’ve seen a lot and heard a lot doing what I do. We all have, so just give me a call or something,” he told him, smiling warmly down at the young nurse.

 

“I will,” he smiled back, he couldn’t help it, the man before him always had a kind word for him, a helping hand and a smile that everyone just had to return.

 

Junghyun returned, face like thunder, “Jinyoung had already turned himself in and has already gotten bail, so they are letting him free,” he wasn’t happy about that development. Jinyoung had obviously tried to counter what Jungkook was going to say and do.

 

“I… I can't go home, I can’t not with him there,” Jungkook’s eyes were wide, already starting to shake at the thought of Jinyoung finding him and hurting him again.

 

“You won't, you’ll stay with me,” Junghyun quickly told him, “The police said that when you are ready to collect your things that they are to be told to be there to protect you,” he added softly, “I’ll be there as well.”

 

“I can’t go to yours, he… he knows w… where you live hyung, he d… d… does, and he’ll go and find you and hurt you as well,” Jungkook stammered, shaking his head as he began to sit up again.

 

“No, remain lying down, all the moving around you are doing is going to pull a stitch,” Namjoon told him, pushing him back down on the bed.

 

Hoseok looked to them, “I have a spare room, if you don't mind sharing, you can both use that,” he suggested.

 

Namjoon shook his head, “Your place would be all right for one, but not for both of them.”

 

“Than Jungkook,” Junghyun said, glancing to Hoseok, “I’ll be fine at home.”

 

“No, no, you have to stay with Hobi-hyung,” Jungkook said, eyes wide as his breathing began to speed up.

 

Namjoon went closer, “Jungkook, I want you to listen to my voice,” he said keeping his voice calm and soothing. Jungkook turned to look at him, eyes wide in panic, “It’s okay, just follow my breathing, in and out, nice and slow. I’m going to hold your hand, all right,” he took hold of Jungkook’s hand and pressed it against his chest, as he saw that Jungkook wasn’t responding well. “Feel me when I breathe, nice and slow in,” he said, breathing in, “and then out,” he murmured. He did it a few more times and slowly Jungkook began to follow him, “Good,” he encouraged.

 

“You okay,” Junghyun said, as he was huddled in Hoseok’s arms.

 

Jungkook looked at his brother a few minutes later and nodded, “I’m okay,” he replied calmer.

 

“We’ll figure something out for the two of you,” Namjoon said, he himself only had a small one bedroomed apartment, he had never moved out after finding it when he had first taken his job at the hospital. He liked the small loft apartment he had found.

 

“Okay,” Hoseok smiled to him, “Call us when if you find something,” he said softly.

 

“I will, now I shall leave you to your rest, and try and remain calm, we’re family here, we help each other out,” Namjoon reminded the young nurse.

 

“Thank you,” Jungkook gave a watery smile as he settled down on the bed.

 

“Welcome, always,” he smiled, going to one side for a moment with Junghyun for a moment, to learn everything about what had happened. He walked back down to A&E heading towards trauma first. “Yoongi,” he said as he saw the older doctor walked out of Trauma looking exhausted.

 

“Joonie,” he greeted a small smile on his face, though exhausted was still in his eyes.

 

“Just came from seeing Jungkook, I’ve told him I’m around if he wants to talk. Though I do think he should actually see someone properly, not just me,” he advised softly.

 

“I’ll go up during my break and see him,” Yoongi nodded.

 

“Okay, they are trying to find a place to stay at the moment,” he said softly, “He was given bail before he could even be arrested properly. Gave himself in to try and get out of it all,” he added, Junghyun quickly letting him know what was going on fully before he left, “So it’s not safe for Jungkook to return home. Nor for them to stay at Junghyun’s either since Jinyoung knows where he lives.”

 

“Right,” Yoongi said, deep in thought, “I have my break soon. I’ll offer my own spare room I think,” he murmured.

 

“Okay,” Namjoon told him, a smile on his face.

 

Yoongi walked away, and Namjoon shook his head. He headed towards the children’s area and was pulled up short by Seokjin. The man looked tired and worried. Not his normal look, even when he was working with patients. He always tried to keep a smile on his face for everyone.

 

“Jin-hyung?” Namjoon called out, hands on the slightly shorter man's shoulder, keeping him from falling over.

 

“Oh, erm, Joonie,” he said, trying to lighten his voice.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked, concerned.

 

Seokjin’s fragile smile fell quickly, “To be honest with you no,” he said.

 

“Come on,” Namjoon said, taking Seokjin by the elbow and into the break room. Jimin was there, but when he saw the distraught look on Seokjin’s face and the worried look on Namjoon’s, he got up and left the two alone. Namjoon gave the young doctor a grateful nod. “So,” he then said as soon as he got Seokjin to sit down and started to make the two of them some tea instead of coffee.

 

“I’m sorry Joonie,” he said, shaking his head, “It’s Seungjae,” he admitted softly.

 

“Right,” Namjoon closed his eyes for a moment, it had only been two weeks since Mi-So had walked out on her son's life. He finished the tea and brought it over, “So how is he?” he asked, sitting down beside his partner and handing him a mug of tea.

 

“He doesn’t want to go to school. It's a trial every single morning just to get him to school. He clings to me, screams and cries when I try to take him. And then screaming as I leave him there. It hurts so much Joonie, I don’t know how much longer I can keep doing it,” he said, shaking his head. “I took a few days off to be with him when it first happened, but…”

 

“On Jinnie,” he said softly as he put his mug down and took the one from Seokjin, pulling him into his arms, “He is scared that he is going to lose you. You need to assure him that what he is feeling is okay as well, make sure of that. I can try and help but I’m not a child psychologist,” he said softly. He wasn’t sure how he could help the father and son.

 

“Anything, just… I need to get through to him that I won't leave him, that I could never leave him,” Seokjin murmured, resting against Namjoon, gathering strength from him.

 

“He needs to express himself, and at the moment he is doing it in the only way he knows how, he is trying to cling to you,” Namjoon sighed. “How about I come over tonight and we can both talk with him.”

 

“That would be wonderful,” Seokjin said, a small smile appearing on his face.

 

“Okay, let's get through this shift and I’ll return with you, we’ll have a nice meal and a good talk with Seungjae together,” Namjoon suggested softly.

 

“Thank you,” Seokjin said, “And sorry for putting this on you, I should deal with this myself,” he said with a shake of his head.

 

“Jinnie, we’re a team,” he told him, “And you know I love the kid as well. I don't like seeing him hurting so badly.”

 

“Neither do I,” Seokjin nodded, as Namjoon let him go and handed him his mug once more.

 

“Drink up, we have a shift to finish and then a meal to enjoy,” he smiled, hoping it would encourage him to keep going for the day at least.

 

Seokjin nodded, feeling that little bit better now that there was something he could do.

 

XxXxX

 

Seungjae lay in bed, Seokjin tucking him in and smoothing down the covers, “Night my special little boy,” he smiled, kissing him on the forehead.

 

“Appa,” he called out, his voice soft, he has spent the last few hours with his father and Namjoon, both of them talking with him about what he was feeling, asking him to describe it as best as he could.

 

“Yes Jae?” he asked, eyes soft as he gazed down at his son.

 

“I love you Appa, I’m… I’m sorry I was bad so much,” he apologised, tears forming in his eyes.

 

“Oh my little Jae, you haven't been bad,” Seokjin rushed to reassure him, “I know that you don't want me to leave you, that your scared that I will. I know that Joonie also knows that, that's why he came over to make sure that we can talk about it and help to make sure we both know how much we love each other, I love you, my precious little boy. You mean the world to me and I could never let you go,” he said, placing a loving kiss on Seungjae forehead once more, “Now sleep well my little boy, I shall be here in the morning, like every morning. That will never, ever change,” he reassured him once more as he smoothed out the blankets again and headed out of the room.

 

Hearing a few murmured words coming from his son as he closed the door made his heart jump into his throat. He walked out into the living room. Sitting on the sofa he looked to Namjoon, heartbreak in his eyes.

 

“Seokjin?” Namjoon called to him, “What is it?”

 

“He… as I was leaving the room he murmured something, saying that I’ll stay until I found someone like Mi-So did,” his heart was breaking, a hand clutched over his chest as it hurt so much.

 

Namjoon wrapped him in his arms, holding him, “We’ll just have to prove to him that won't be the case. We… I think we should tell him about us soon, not just yet, but soon,” he said softly.

 

Seokjin nodded, “I should have told him a while ago, I know that. We’ve been together for almost two years.”

 

“We weren’t ready, we still haven't told our friends that we are together either, we… we wanted this for ourselves” Namjoon pointed out.

 

“I know, we should do that as well,” he sighed, closing his eyes and resting in Namjoon’s arms. The two settled in for the rest of the night together, only separating when it was time for Namjoon to return to his apartment.