The Other Woman

The Brother

It was my turn to be jealous when Yoongi arrived with an elegant girl at his side.  She stood next to him as she waited for him to pull out her chair.  He had never done that for me.  I looked at her and she sized me up.  So this is the type that Yoongi likes.  I frowned at the thought.  This girl was not just beautiful she was chic and elegant like his mom.  Then it dawned on me that maybe his mom had picked her out for him.  I was determined to find out.  

Taehyungs bubbly personality kept us all entertained.  I was more at ease with him as we got to know each other a little better while we waited for Yoongi to arrive with his girlfriend, Seulgi.  While I guffawed and hit Taehyung's arm when I laughed, Seulgi covered daintily. I noticed how Yoongi looked at her with a sweet smile on his lips, making my heart hurt.  I decided right there that it was silly for me to try to come between them.  Yoongi was trying to be my friend in spite of our social differences and I would return the favor.  On the other hand, Taehyung seemed really nice.  I actually liked him.  After we were done, Tae offered to take me home and I accepted.  I said goodbye to my new friends happy to have had the chance to be with them.  I hugged Seulgi and genuinely offered for us to hang out again.  I also hugged Yoongi and thanked him for a fun night.  His sweet embraced filled me with a longing for him that I was resigned to let go.  As we slowly pulled away on Tae's motorcycle, I looked back at him and our eyes met.  For one second I thought I could feel the pain in his eyes or was he just mimicking the pain in mine.

Taehyung found my house easily and asked for my phone number which I willingly gave.  I was glad that he left quickly cause I didn't want my parents to see that I arrived on a motorcycle.  When I was finally alone in my room, I cried thinking about Yoongi.  Not for anything that happened but for what could have been.  I was determined to stay in his life even if my summer job ended.  I wanted to still be his friend.

The following day I went into work happy to be back.  I actually loved spending time with Tae-Hwan.  He was such a cute and loving child.  All he needed was love, attention and conversation to keep him happy.  Together we invented little games in which we were battling monsters or riding dinosaurs.  The more imaginative the better.  I was so enthralled playing with him I didn't notice Yoongi watching us.  Hwan scrunched his cute little face and roared.  It was so cute but I pretended I was scared.  I put up my make-shift sword to defend my self. 

"Looks like you guys rather fight dragons then get ice cream today."  He said.

"No, no, no!  Ich-cweme time!" Said little Hwan jumping up and down.

"Okay then let's go." Yoongi said with a smile.  

I happily followed them and once outside Hwan stood between us holding Yoongi's hand and mine as we walked swinging him along.  We sat down at the ice-cream shop to eat out treat.  Yoongi looked into my eyes and put his hand on mine.  "You're so good with him.  I've watched you play and I'm jealous.  Soon he will love you more than me."  

"Neber Woongi!  I lub you the mostest!"

Yoongi padded his head gently.  "I wish I had had a nanny like Jennie. I was a very lonely child.  My parents rarely spent time with me and my nannies were cold and distant.   I don't want my little brother to feel neglected like I was.  I hope you stay with us for a long time." He said looking at me.

The 'us' in that sentence made me so happy.  "Oh Yoongi!  I don't want to leave either.  I love spending time with both of you."

"Thank you Jennie.  You've made our life so much better."  

My eyes watered when he said that. I wanted to confess that I cared for him but I didn't think it was appropriate.  That afternoon, when he took me home he asked me if I liked Taehyung.  My heart froze.  I didn't know what to say and he took it as me being shy again.  Yoongi took a deep breath and said, "He told me he really, really likes you." 

I giggled, "Two really's wow!"

"I don't blame him.  You're special.  I hope you'll be happy like me and Seulgi."

And there it was,the knife in my chest going deeper.  I didn't know what to say so I stayed quiet.  Yoongi left waving goodbye to me and once again I felt so alone.