Unattainable

The Brother

As we left the park, Yoongi was holding Hwan's hand. He put his other hand out reaching out to hold mine. I pretended I didn't see it until he actually grabbed my hand.  I stopped making him turn to look at me. I didn't want to do anything to make him sad. He was such a nice person but the last thing I needed was his mom seeing us arrive holding hands. "You know it's kind of late. I should just go home from here and save you the trip."

"Okay."  He shrugged.

I turned around and walked away quickly leaving him staring after me.

Jennie felt her cheeks burn with a hot flush as tears of pent-up emotions that cascaded down her face.  It was hard to have feelings for someone that was unavailable and considered you just a friend.  Tearing her eyes from the pavement, she looked up and saw she had reached her house.  As she approached the door, she heard the hum of unintelligible conversation and laughter.  Her little brother had friends over.   She greeted them and quickly walked into their little kitchen.  

My mom saw my face and instantly hugged me.  "What's wrong, baby?"

I told her the story of our little outings and how much we enjoyed each other's company.  How I felt I was building a lasting friendship with Yoongi but that his mom thought it was a bad idea, and how Yoongi himself told me he liked being with me too.  

"Let me get this straight."  Jennie's mom said. "Both you and Yoongi enjoy being together and it's platonic so then why the tears?"

"I don't know.  I guess I want something more ... something unattainable." Jennie said wiping her eyes.

"I think I understand.  You are starting to like him more than a friend." 

Before I could finish explaining to her the doorbell rang.  I looked through the window surprised to find Taehyung at my front door.   He had an envelope in his hand.

"Hi, Jennie.  How are you?"

Tae's pretty smile was infectious.  I felt better just looking at him.

"I came by to invite you to my birthday party.  It's going to be next weekend."

"Sure, I'd love to come.  Thank you!" Jennie said happily reaching for the invitation.

Tae looked a little bit shy when he asked, "I was wondering if you would be my date?"

"Sure, I'd love to," I said smiling.  "I don't know what to get you.  Can I have a clue?"

"You don't have to get me anything.  Just your presence will make my birthday extra special and my friend's very jealous.  I can imagine dancing with you.  We're going to have a great time."

I asked him if he wanted to come in so he could meet my mom.  He was sweet and accepted graciously.  Tae was the best cure for a broken heart.