Chapter 11

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu was not sure of his surroundings, being surrounded by nothing but forest. He didn't even know where he was, everywhere was the same. He looked around him, trying to figure out where the house was. Where the rest of his pack were. He just ran in a random direction, unable to find his voice to call out to his packmates, and to everyone else.

Changgu woke with a start, breathing hard as he sat up and hit the top bunk with his head. A desperate whimper escaped him as he fell back into the covers, burying himself into them as much as possible. It was just a dream. It was nothing but a dream.

There was movement, and Hongseok came into the edge of his view, looking concerned. "Changgu?" He asked. Changgu whimpered in response as he tried to get his breathing under control. "Aw, Changgu," said Hongseok as he sat on the edge of the bed, bringing Changgu into his arms. "Did you have a nightmare?" He asked. Changgu nodded into Hongseok's chest, still whimpering softly.

"We're alone again today," said Hongseok. "Everyone went into the city," he said. Changgu hummed in response. "I know, I didn't go with them but I have nothing I need from Toronto," said Hongseok. Changgu hummed in response, his breathing finally evening out. "Come on," said Hongseok. "Are you up for eating?" He asked. Changgu nodded, moving away. Hongseok grinned and got up, grabbing Changgu's hand and pulling him to stand up before taking him into the kitchen. "Sit," he said, having him sit down at the kitchen table before going to the fridge and seeing what was available.

Changgu sat at the table, humming to himself as he stared into the wood grain of the oak table. "Ah! I forgot to ask," said Hongseok as he turned Changgu, causing Changgu to look up at Hongseok. "Is it a good day?" He asked. Changgu thought about it before grinning and nodding. A look of relief crossed Hongseok's face before he chuckled, nodding and turning back to the fridge.

After finding meals for the both of them and warming them up Hongseok put a plate of food in front of Changgu and sat in front of him with his own plate. After a bit they both started eating.

Compared to Kino, Hongseok was the calm one, bringing a motherly like personality to the scene. It took a bit for Changgu to warm up to Hongseok, not used to the affection and Hongseok's motherly personality. Once he was comfortable however, Changgu knew he could rely on Hongseok if he needed a shoulder to lean on, especially when he had his own burdens to carry. Their own personalities were the same in some ways, when it came to people ranting to them anyway, and more often than not when someone ranted to Changgu he brought them to Hongseok so Hongseok could give his own say in it.

"How is everything with you?" Asked Hongseok as he studied Changgu. Changgu hummed, shrugging. "I guess it could be better considering the circumstances huh?" Asked Hongseok. Changgu nodded.

"I'd like to rant a bit if you don't mind," Hongseok said suddenly. Changgu blinked, before nodding for him to go ahead.

"I've had this on my mind since we joined you again but I can't help but be reminded of when you protested against Wooseok joining us," confessed Hongseok as he sighed. "Instinct was screaming at me to trust you, because you know, you were the one who spoke up for Kino, Hyojung and I to join you," he said. "I wanted to be on your side, and I was, but I couldn't just leave someone behind when they were going to get abandoned anyway," he said, picking at his food now. Changgu hummed, nodding in understanding.

"I'm sorry I didn't trust you more," said Hongseok as he looked up at Changgu. Changgu shook his head. "I wish I could make it up to you somehow," said Hongseok as he looked down at his food again. "I'll be there for you, as much as you need me okay?" He asked. Changgu reached over, putting a hand on Hongseok's arm. Hongseok looked up at Changgu again with a little confusion. Changgu smiled softly, a gesture that he rarely showed anyone, showing Hongseok that he was okay with this. Hongseok smiled in return. "Thank you Changgu," he said. Changgu grinned before returning to eating his food.

When the others returned Changgu and Hongseok were in the livingroom watching a movie. Well, Hongseok was watching the movie, Changgu was asleep, leaning his head against Hongseok's shoulder. "Well, this is a scene I wasn't expecting to come back to," said Hoetaek as he went to sit down and watch the movie with them. The others soon joined, scattering around the livingroom.

Hongseok chuckled some. "We had a chill day today, he fell asleep earlier," he said. "How many movies into it?" Asked Yanan. "2," said Hongseok. "Wow, must've been a good day today," said Kino. "It was, but he was still pretty tired," said Hongseok.

"Did he eat at least?" Asked Yanan. "Yeah," said Hongseok. "I got him to eat about 3/4ths of his food earlier," he said. "I guess he's getting better then," said Chani. "For the most part it seems," agreed Hongseok. "How's his heartbeat looking?" He asked. "Still the same," said Myungsoo. "Still slower than normal, but at least he's recovering," he said. "That's good," said Hoetaek.

Changgu was woken up by Hongseok gently shaking him, a whine escaping him as he buried his face into Hongseok's shoulder. "We need to get you to bed Changgu," Hongseok said softly as he tried to get Changgu to stand. Changgu whimpered in protest but let Hongseok get him up and help him into their bedroom. Hongseok moved the covers away before getting Changgu to lay down, putting the covers back over him and tucking him in. "Goodnight Changgu," was the last thing Changgu heard before he went under.