Chapter 8

A 'Shifter's Silence

Pain, that was the only thing that registered in Changgu's mind. He could barely hear Kino beg for his forgiveness as the others rushed into the room and dragged him away. This time though, Hoetaek spotted the empty syringe and went to punch Kino in the face. "You traitor," he spat. "There's a reason for this!" Yelled Kino as he was dragged away by Myungsoo and Chani. "Hear me out! Please!" He was heard calling before Changgu out again.

When he came to again Changgu had another coughing fit, blood splattering the front of his shirt as he felt like his insides were being ripped to shreds. His mind barely registered his body being picked up and being brought into the bathroom again, someone putting him down in the bathtub and getting his clothes off. "Hang in there Changgu," came a voice. Was that Hoetaek? Was that Yanan? He couldn't tell anymore, the pain was too much and clouded his thought process.

"Why is Kino doing this?" Asked Hongseok as he helped rip the sheets from Sungyeol's bed with Jaemin helping. "I don't know," said Jaemin. "All the vampires had to leave the house again, I don't think Yuto can hold Kino back if he decides to do something," he said. "He'll have to go through all of us first before he gets back to doing more damage to Changgu," spat Hongseok. Hyojung and Yanan were helping Hoetaek in the bathroom, and by the sounds of the seemingly unstoppable coughing fit things didn't look good.

"We're going to need a new mattress," said Jaemin as they saw the blood reach down to the mattress. "Damn it," said Hongseok. "Come on, help me get this outside," he said, going to lift it. Jaemin helped, and brought it outside and dumped it in the yard, Hongseok going to get the hose and spraying it down. Jaemin went to get the sheets into washer, pouring a whole bottle of bleach into the washer just to get the scent of blood away before grabbing another bottle and a brush and going outside to pour it on the mattress and scrub it down.

Yuto was sitting in front of Kino, who was tied up, glaring at him. "Why are you doing this?" He asked. "I was forced to! You have to listen to me for once!" Said Kino. "I may be a douche bag but I care for Changgu as much as the others!" He said. "Then why put him through this suffering huh?" Shouted Yuto. "I may have not known him for long but at least I know how much Hoetaek, Yanan, Hyojung and I care for him!" He spat, standing up and pacing. "Hell even Hongseok, Jaemin and some vampires care for him, why then?" He asked. Kino was silent as he looked down in defeat.

"Damn it, we're losing him!" Said Hoetaek as he patted Changgu's back to help quell the coughing fit that was beginning to stop. "He's lost so much blood already," he said. "Don't die on us Changgu!" Said Yanan. "Not before we figure out why," he spat as Hyojung returned with more rags to clean up the blood.

Changgu was barely there at that point, but he wanted to find the strength to speak. He knew there was no point as he could feel his body failing him. Maybe this was the way he was supposed to go. Instead of living a happy life with his mate he was supposed to die weak, a burden to the rest of them. He found himself blacking out again as the coughing fit finally stopped, his hearing barely registering Hoetaek's panicked shout of "Changgu?!" Before he went under.

 

~



Meeting Hongseok and the others was a new experience for Changgu, that was for sure. By that time Shinwon and Jinho had joined them and Shinwon adored Changgu as much as Hoetaek and Yanan did. Jinho was the oldest in their pack and only gave Changgu small words of encouragement but even that was enough for Changgu to trust him as much as Shinwon and the others.

What had sealed the deal for Hongseok, Hyojung and Kino to join was the fact that Shinwon and Kino had found their mates. In each other no less. It had been the second time Yanan and Hoetaek ever heard Changgu speak, and the first time Jinho and Shinwon ever heard him speak. There had been a lot of debate that night, as Hongseok's pack were going to execute them the next night due to the three being unloyal to their home pack. It had sealed the deal after Changgu explained why it was important to the others that they take the three in.

"If it wasn't for Changgu here speaking up for you three, we wouldn't have taken you with us," Hoetaek had explained when he finally got permission to take Hongseok, Hyojung and Kino with them. "We owe you then," said Hongseok as he bowed, earning an embarrassed chuckle from Changgu. Mates were important, and they couldn't separate the two from each other, especially when Kino was going to get executed.

 

~



The next time Changgu came back to the world he was in his own bed, buried under the blankets. His insides no longer felt like they were being ripped to shreds at least, but he couldn't move. His breathing was coming out in soft pants as he forced himself to roll over, rolling straight into the wall his bed was up against with a small groan. He heard movement, and felt someone rolling him back onto his back.

"Oh, thank god," said Jaemin. Changgu could only offer a weak half grin as he winced. "Everyone was worried you know," said Jaemin as he shook his head. "Do you want some water?" He asked. Changgu nodded. "I'll be right back," said Jaemin. Changgu nodded and watched Jaemin leave the room, before turning his gaze up to look at the bunk above him. What had happened this time?