Chapter 6

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu found himself coming in and out of consciousness throughout the day, each time finding someone different sitting beside his bed. First it had been Yuto and Hoetaek, who had told him that they were heading to work and that Myungsoo and the others were still here. Then it had been Hongseok and Yanan, who got him to drink some water before he went under again. Jaemin and Hyojung were next, and he stayed up long enough to eat a couple bites of food before he went under again. Kino had been next, just checking on him to see how he was. Changgu thought he felt something prick his arm but it barely registered before he went under again.

Changgu woke one last time to Myungsoo sitting on the edge of the bed next to him. "Oh hey," said Myungsoo as he smiled softly. Changgu could only smile weakly in return. "Hungry?" Asked Myungsoo. Changgu nodded. Myungsoo helped Changgu sit up and then fed him a bowl of soup. "The others are in the livingroom," he said. "You've been asleep for most of the day again," he said. Changgu hummed in response as he ate what he could before stopping, coughing slightly as he covered his mouth.

Myungsoo could smell blood and blinked, before rushing away rather quickly and calling for the others. Changgu got into another coughing fit, this time coughing up blood as the others rushed into the room. "Go, we have this," said Hoetaek. Myungsoo nodded. "Come get me when the blood is gone," he said. "Will do," said Hoetaek as Myungsoo left.

Hoetaek rushed to get Changgu into the bathroom so they could salvage the sheets and put him in the bathtub. "Breathe Changgu, breathe," he said, rubbing Changgu's back. Changgu's coughing fit was slowing down but blood dripped from his mouth as he sat in the bathtub shivering. He soon threw up his dinner, along with more blood and Hoetaek moved to get him to stand and get off his clothes, throwing them across the bathroom and turning on the faucet, letting the water wash away everything.

"Stay awake Changgu, okay? I know how hard that is but we need you to not go under," came Hoetaek's voice as Changgu found himself losing consciousness and almost falling if Hoetaek didn't catch him. Changgu could only whimper in response. "It's okay, just stay awake, you can do this," said Hoetaek as he got Changgu to sit down once the bathtub was clear of blood and left over soup.

Changgu's breathing became ragged as the coughing fit finally stopped. He was too exhausted by this point, letting Hoetaek wash his body gently, Hoetaek not caring if his entire body was soaked at this point. Hoetaek had at one point taken off his shirt and climbed into the bathtub with him to wash off the left over soup and blood from Changgu's body, keeping his movements soft and slow but with enough force to at least get him clean.

Hoetaek moved to the front of his body and Changgu looked up at his pack alpha, searching for any sign of disappointment. Instead Changgu found a determined look on Hoetaek's face with his eyes showing nothing but concern. "You're okay Changgu," said Hoetaek as he noticed Changgu looking at him. "You're okay buddy," Changgu heard Hoetaek say before he went under again.

 

~



Hoetaek was sitting behind Changgu washing his back gently after Hoetaek's fight with Changgu's father. "You're in good hands now Changgu," said Hoetaek as he was careful with going over the various scars on his back. "I won't let anything happen to you okay?" He asked. "We'll get away from here," he said. Changgu hummed, whimpering softly from certain spots getting cleaned on his back.

"Despite everything your brother is actually a good person," said Hoetaek as he dried off Changgu after washing himself off. He handed Changgu a change of clothes before going to put on his own clothes. "You'll be okay with him, I know you will," he said before taking Changgu to meet Yanan properly after they were both dressed.

 

~



The next time Changgu came back to the world he found himself in Sungyeol's bed, with Hoetaek's sleeping form next to him. He was aware of his surroundings, but he was not really there as he couldn't move. He heard Hoetaek mumble something as he turned over before Changgu went under again, letting the exhaustion claim him.

Changgu woke to voices later, his mind not really registering who as he opened his eyes, moving slightly to face the voices as he spotted Hoetaek and Yanan having a quiet discussion at the edge of the bed.

"This is serious," Yanan said quietly. "From what I heard from Hongseok this is exactly what happened right after Wooseok injected that drug into his arm," he said. "We have to be careful as to who sees him then," said Hoetaek. "We need to make sure no one goes to see him alone," he said. "We nearly lost him earlier," spat Yanan. "I know," said Hoetaek as he sighed, moving a hand through his hair in frustration. "We can't trust Kino," said Yanan. "That I know for a fact," he said. "We'll keep an eye on him," said Hoetaek as he got up from the bed and left the room.

Yanan turned, spotting an awake Changgu. "Oh, how long were you up?" He asked. Changgu shrugged, not really feeling time flow anymore as he sat up, wincing as pain went through him. Yanan helped him sit up, leaning him against the headboard. "I'll get you some water okay?" He asked. Changgu nodded and Yanan left the room.

Jaemin came in dragging Yuto behind him, the both of them looking concerned. "Are you okay?" Asked Jaemin. Changgu could only shrug. "Is it a good day?" Asked Yuto. Changgu shook his head no, causing them both to sigh. "What happened last night?" Asked Jaemin. Changgu looked down, unsure of how to answer that question.