Chapter 18

A 'Shifter's Silence

The funeral was the next day, and everyone scrambled to get ready. Yuto concluded that the best way for him to go was for Myungsoo to carry him, since Jaemin would be on Chani's back and Sungyeol was carrying Changgu on a stretcher with Sungjong. The 'shifters would be going in wolf form, each wearing a black collar for the occasion that Sungjong had fastened out of black strips of cloth.

Once everyone was ready and the 'shifters were all in wolf form with their black collars on they headed out. Yuto was getting a piggy back ride from Myungsoo, as Jaemin was doing the same with Chani. Sungyeol had fastened together a stretcher of sorts so he could carry it with Sungjong behind him so the both of them would take the lead.

"You okay back there?" Myungsoo asked Yuto as he adjusted Yuto slightly. "Yeah," said Yuto. "Jaemin?" Asked Chani. "Yes," said Jaemin. "The 'shifters okay?" Asked Sungyeol as he walked over to the stretcher. The 'shifters came over in wolf form after Sungjong put their collars on with Hoetaek leading the way. Hoetaek nodded to Chani who nodded back. Sungjong went over to the stretcher behind Sungyeol. "Ready," he said. "Let's go then," said Sungyeol as he picked up the stretcher with Sungjong holding the rear. After testing their pace to make sure Sungjong was good behind Sungyeol they headed off, heading to what was now dubbed as Changgu's meadow.

Once there Yuto gasped in astonishment, as did Jaemin. No one had really been here except the vampires and the 'shifters, it only really being a spot for Hoetaek and Sungyeol. Now it was Changgu's special spot as he was being put to rest here. Myungsoo let Yuto down, as Chani did the same thing with Jaemin.

Sungyeol and Sungjong put down the stretcher, moving away as Chani went to stand in front of it. "I bring everyone here today to put to rest someone we all hold dearly in our hearts," said Chani as he bowed his head slightly. "As coven leader I made sure Changgu was doing okay throughout his time in staying here," he said. "I knew there were days where I couldn't do very much but I always made sure he was comfortable with the little things," he said. "It's the little things that count, and I knew he appreciated them," he said. "I hope that he is finally at peace," he said, moving away.

Yuto was next to walk up and stand in front of the stretcher, as no one else stepped up. "Well," he said, taking a shaky breath. "I'm still processing things," he said. "But- But I didn't know Changgu as long as the others, hell I was the only person to never hear him speak," he said. "His last words weren't heard by my human ears but I think he wanted to be that way," he said. "He wanted me to remember him as the boy who never spoke, with a grin that could light up the room," he said. "I just hope he is finally at peace," he said, moving away.

When no one else stepped forward to speak Chani turned to Yanan and Hoetaek. "Would you two do the honors of digging the grave?" He asked. Hoetaek bowed his head, nodding. Yanan stepped forward, hesitant at first. Hoetaek nudged him, nodding in encouragement before they went to find a spot. Once they did they started digging. Sungjong and Sungyeol walked over with the stretcher, untying the sheet from the two sticks and gently laying down Changgu's body to get ready to be put in the grave.

Once the hole was big enough Hoetaek and Yanan moved away, as the others walked over to watch the body being lowered. Chani and Myungsoo picked up the body as Sungyeol and Sungjong hopped into the grave, lowering Changgu to them. As this was happening Yuto finally broke down, unable to hold back the tears now as he started sobbing. Jaemin went over and hugged him, offering words in comfort. Sungjong and Sungyeol hopped out after making sure everything was good and proceeded to refill the hole with dirt.

Kino was the first to lift his snout to the sky and howl, a howl that conveyed his final goodbyes. Soon the other 'shifters joined in with their own howls, and even Jaemin dropped his human illusion to join them. Myungsoo walked over and brought a still sobbing Yuto into a hug, just to give his support.

"It looks like we got other packs answering," Chani said suddenly as he heard more howling in the distance after the 'shifters and Jaemin finished their howls in goodbye. "It looks that way," said Myungsoo. "They're saying goodbye," said Jaemin as he put up his human illusion. "At least, that's what I can understand," he said. Chani nodded, turning to Sungyeol and Sungjong as they finished.

"Well," said Sungyeol as he turned to Hoetaek. "I think I'm going hunting, for him," he said. "We were planning that," agreed Myungsoo as he nodded. "Can I trust that you can get these two back home?" Asked Chani as he nodded to Jaemin and Yuto who had gone to stand by the river. Hoetaek nodded, going up to Sungyeol and bumping him with his snout. Sungyeol hugged him, burying his face into Hoetaek's neck. "I'll see you back home then," he said softly before moving away. Hoetaek watched the vampires head off on a hunt in Changgu's honor.

Kino was the first to walk up to Yuto, nudging him slightly. Yuto turned to Kino and buried his face into Kino's neck. "I'm such a mess," he mumbled into Kino's neck. "We should get home then," said Jaemin as he walked over and put a comforting hand on Yuto's shoulder. "I guess," Yuto said, his voice muffled by Kino's fur. He moved away, tracing the large scar across Kino's left eye. "You are going to have to tell me how the hell you got that scar and why it's only visible in your wolf form," he said, earning a snort from everyone. He chuckled softly before moving away.

"Well," said Jaemin as he chuckled softly. "Choose your steed then," he said. Yuto hummed, before turning and walking over to Yanan. Yanan blinked, before nodding and laying down. Yuto was careful as he climbed onto Yanan's back to sit down, holding onto the collar. Jaemin chose to go on Shinwon's back, getting comfortable before Shinwon stood, nodding to Hoetaek. "Let's go home then," said Yuto. Hoetaek lead the way home, with the others soon following after him.

When the vampires returned everyone was in their rooms, with Hoetaek being with the other members of his pack that night and Yuto being put into Chani's room with Jaemin.

"Exiled to my room eh?" Asked Chani as he spotted Yuto watching a movie with Jaemin. "I guess," said Yuto. "They wanted a night to themselves," he said, shrugging. "I understand that," said Chani. "I'll go check on them and I'll be right back," he said before going to do so.

Sungyeol wasn't surprised that he'd be alone tonight. He knew how much Hoetaek cared for Changgu, and he was willing to give him the space to grieve. He knew Hoetaek knew he kept his door open for him, in case Hoetaek needed his presence. For now he sat at his desk, browsing the internet on his computer.

Myungsoo and Sungjong were chilling in the livingroom for a bit, just to make things seem normal as they watched tv. Chani had decided to join them, letting Yuto and Jaemin have a few hours to themselves. "Everyone is handling things differently," remarked Sungjong. "Everyone needs their time to grieve, I'm sure things will get better," said Myungsoo. "We all had a soft spot for Changgu, try to prove me wrong," Chani said, shrugging. "I do miss him," agreed Sungjong. "Reminds me a lot of Jaemin, at least when we first found him," agreed Myungsoo.

"Kino," said Hongseok from his place on the top bunk. "How the hell did you even get that scar in the first place?" He asked. "I don't even want to talk about it," grunted Kino as he turned, snuggling into Shinwon's side. "I'm surprised you two can even fit on that bed," said Hyojung from his bunk under Hongseok.

"I think Yuto mentioned he wanted to know," said Yanan from his spot on his bunk. "It's more embarrassing than people think," Hoetaek said, laughing some from his spot on Changgu's bed. "Let me guess, it involved Changgu in some way?" Asked Hongseok. "Yes actually," said Yanan as he shook his head. "And Shinwon," he added. "Don't remind me," grumbled Shinwon as he sighed.

"Let's get some sleep then," said Hoetaek. "We'll share funny stories in the morning, I have work," he said, shaking his head. "Goodnight then," he said. "Goodnight," came everyone's reply.