Chapter 5

A 'Shifter's Silence

"So," said Hoetaek as he glanced out from behind his newspaper. "What brings you here?" He asked. "I can't come see my old pack alpha?" Asked Jinho. "The last time you did that you were beaten down by a vampire," Hoetaek said with a snort. "I wanted to see Changgu," said Jinho. "That's actually more believable," said Hoetaek.

"Can we have a talk somewhere else?" Asked Jinho as he turned to Changgu. "We won't be far," he said. "Just outside," he said. Changgu looked skeptical as he turned to Hoetaek. "You're not leaving this store," said Hoetaek. "Fine, to the windows then?" Asked Jinho. Changgu hummed in response before nodding. "Order for Jinho!" Yelled Yuto and Jinho got up and went to get it before finding a spot by the windows. Changgu got up and went to sit in front of him, keeping Hoetaek and Yuto in his line of vision.

"I wanted to apologize," said Jinho. "Even though I know you wouldn't accept my apology after everything but," he said, taking a sip of his coffee. Changgu hummed. "I just want you to know that I'm not running with Wooseok anymore, he disappeared with Shinwon so I don't know where they went," said Jinho, knowing Hoetaek was listening in by the way his grip tightened on the newspaper. Changgu looked indifferent, keeping the innocent look up as he blinked.

"I'm going South, to the states to find a pack to join," said Jinho as he looked out the window. "Just so you know I won't be in Toronto anymore," he added. Changgu nodded as the door chimed.

"Welcome! What can I get you?" Asked Yuto as he grinned. "The usual please," said Joshua as he grinned in greeting. "6$, name on cup?" Asked Yuto. "Chan," said Chan as he handed Yuto the money. Yuto glanced towards Hoetaek's table before writing the name down on the cup and processing the orders and writing down where to look before handing the change and receipt back to Chan and going to make their orders. Chan read the receipt before walking over to where Hoetaek was with Joshua and sat down.

"Fancy seeing you here," said Hoetaek as he put down the newspaper. "Looking for Jaemin, Chan?" He asked. "No actually," said Chan as he chuckled some. "I'm here on a mission," he said. "How's Renjun? Jaemin keeps asking about his best friend," said Hoetaek as he went to get his information. "Just fine," said Chan. "Renjun wants to come visit sometime and I told him the next time we all were free," he said. "Ah, Jaemin would love to see the others again, or so I hear from Chani," Hoetaek said, laughing some as he handed Chan the paper with the information he needed.

"Any news?" He asked Joshua who was keeping an eye on Changgu. "Wooseok's escaped our grasp," said Joshua as he sighed. "Not hard when Shinwon's a tracker," Hoetaek said, shaking his head. "We have iKon hunting them down now, hopefully we can get them before he comes back for your friend," said Joshua. "Hopefully," said Hoetaek as he got the information for Joshua and wrote it down, handing it to him.

"Are we the only people meeting you today?" Asked Chan. "Pretty much, didn't expect you two to come in at the same time," Hoetaek said, chuckling some. Chan shook his head. "We happened to be staying in the same hotel," he said with a snort. "I offered to buy him coffee so," he said, shrugging. "Well," said Joshua as Yuto called their order. "We should get going then," he said. Chan nodded, going to get their order before leaving with Joshua. Hoetaek sighed and put up the newspaper again, hiding behind it again.

Jinho had watched them go with a slight tilt of his head before standing. "Well, I better go then," he said. "Stay safe," he said before leaving. Changgu was left to sit at his spot by the windows, staring out them to people watch for the rest of the day.

After the day was over they had to go grocery shopping so Hoetaek took them to the nearest grocery store. Changgu was starting to feel his exhaustion again but pushed through it. It was one of his best days in a long time and he didn't want them to worry about him. Hoetaek noticed the exhaustion setting in but instead of voicing it he wrapped an arm around Changgu's shoulder and guided him around while Yuto ranted about different kinds of pasta again.

Hoetaek shook his head in amusement as Yuto continued to rant about various pastas before deciding on spaghetti and moving once he noticed how fatigued Changgu was getting. Once done grocery shopping they headed back home, with Changgu passing out in the car.

"Changgu," came Hoetaek's voice through the haze that was Changgu's sleep induced mind. Changgu hummed, struggling to wake up. "It's alright, I'll get someone, just go back to sleep," came Hoetaek's voice before Changgu found himself going under again.

When Changgu came back to the world he was in his bed, noticing that he was in pajamas. He looked around the darkened room, noting Yuto's snoring and figured it was sometime after the human's bed time. He looked around, disorientated due to his still sleep fogged mind as he moved, falling off the bed. He pushed himself up and headed out of the bedroom and into the bathroom to use the bathroom.

He walked into the kitchen after washing his hands to find a plate of food for him so he ate what he could and saved the rest for later before going back to bed, passing out again.

He woke later to the pain returning, a groan forcing its way through his throat as he curled up into a ball. He heard Yanan moving above him as he quickly hopped down from the bunk. "Changgu?" Asked Yanan. Changgu could only whimper in pain as pain went through his body again. "Damn it," said Yanan. "After one of your best days too," he said, rubbing Changgu's back. "Get better soon okay?" He asked. Changgu could only try to bury himself deeper into the blanket, soft whimpers escaping him as he tried to relax.