Chapter 3

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu felt horrible when he came back to the world again, biting back whimpers in pain as he curled up into a ball. He bit into his pillow as pain wracked his body, trying not to wake up the others as he let out what he hoped was a quiet whimper.

He heard movement, spying someone in the doorway as he looked at the doorway, and hoped it was someone that would leave him alone. "A bad day?" Came Hoetaek's voice as he walked over and leaned in front of Changgu. Changgu hummed, nodding. Hoetaek sighed and sat at the edge of the bed, gently rubbing his back. "You're lucky I'm the only one here right now buddy," he said. "Everyone went into the city this morning, it's just after noon," he said.

Changgu continued to shake in pain, curling into himself more as more whimpers escaped him. Hoetaek could only hush him gently, bringing Changgu into his arms and rocking back and forth. "It's alright, it'll pass," he said. "I wish I could do something to help you," he said. Changgu continued to whimper, his whimpering soon forming into sobs as he cried into Hoetaek's chest.

He hated being weak. He was nothing but weak. His father had been right. He was nothing more than a living breathing punching bag for the others. Now with his weakened state he was seen as nothing but a burden to the pack. He wished they could just end his suffering already! He wouldn't be a burden to them, his brother would be happier if he didn't drag him down like this. The others wouldn't have to fret over him that much... He just wanted it all to end...

It was Hoetaek's soft words that brought Changgu back to reality and he struggled through the pain to listen, hoping for some sort of scolding. Instead he found none. "It's alright, it's alright," whispered Hoetaek as he rubbed Changgu's back softly. "Nothing is going to happen to you," he said. "Nothing, I won't let anything happen to you okay? Live through this, live so they can get a cure to you," he said.

I don't want to do this anymore Changgu found himself thinking as he clung onto Hoetaek for dear life, burying his face into Hoetaek's chest as he slowly tried to stop his sobbing. He out again a few minutes later, going under immediately.

 

~



Hoetaek stood in front of Changgu, glaring at Changgu's father. "You're a worthless piece of trash you know that?" He spat. "Take the boy then! He's nothing but useless," spat Changgu's father. Changgu was shivering from his spot on the ground after receiving another beating again. This time his father was pissed off at Hoetaek's meddling on how his father raised him.

"If I take the boy I take them both," snarled Hoetaek. "Over my dead body!" Spat Changgu's father as he changed and attacked Hoetaek. Hoetaek was quick to change and attack back, their snarls ripping through the clearing they were in.

 

~



The next time Changgu came back to the world he felt someone sit on the edge of the bed near him and tuck him in. He opened his eyes to look into the eyes of a worried Yuto. "Hey, you're awake," said Yuto as he smiled softly. "Don't move alright? I'll go get some water," he said as he went to do so.

Changgu was left to stretch out on the bed, feeling it to be one of his good days. If only he could see what time it was, his phone was out of reach and he was still rather tired. Yuto returned with some water and Yanan walking in behind him.

"Is it a good day?" Asked Yanan as he helped Changgu sit up. Changgu nodded, and Yanan smiled in relief. "Oh, good, you've been under for a few days now," said Yanan as Yuto gave Changgu the cup of water. Changgu blinked as he took the cup and drank from the straw that had been placed in the cup.

"Well, I mean you've been awake but not really there for the passed couple days," said Yanan as he noticed Changgu's confused look. "I think the last time you were truly there was when Hoetaek was watching you," he said. Changgu hummed, blushing when his stomach growled. Yanan and Yuto laughs. "We'll get you some food, stay here okay?" Asked Yanan. Changgu nodded and watched Yanan and Yuto leave the room.

The other members of their pack and Jaemin soon piled into the room with worried looks. "You're okay?" Asked Hongseok. Changgu nodded, offering a tired grin as he scratched the back of his head. "Good!" Said Jaemin as he grinned. "Yanan was really worried," he said. "All of us were, even Kino here," Hyojung said, earning a slap on the shoulder from Kino. "I do worry for him damn it," said Kino.

Hoetaek could only offer a smile to Changgu when Changgu looked up at him. Changgu grinned back, knowing that his breakdown was safe with their pack alpha unless it was necessary to talk about it. What had him thinking was when his next bad day was.

Everyone turned when Yuto and Yanan came in with food on a tray. "You don't need to eat it all but," said Yanan as he placed the tray in front Changgu. Changgu nodded and ate what he could, happy that he could at least stomach half of it before deeming himself done. Yanan moved to take the tray and handed it to Yuto who went to put it in the kitchen to save for later.

"Come on," said Hoetaek as he offered a hand. Changgu grabbed it and Hoetaek pulled him up. "It's still early in the evening, let's go spend it on the porch swing yeah?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu blinked, before nodding. Hoetaek grinned and took him outside to sit on the swing. Changgu sat down and Hoetaek sat beside him, using his legs to move the swing slightly.

"I haven't told them yet," Hoetaek said suddenly as they sat in silence. Changgu hummed. "I figured that they shouldn't know yet anyway," said Hoetaek. "They're already stressed enough," he said, sighing a bit. "These passed few days were hectic on everyone because of how out of it you were," he said. Changgu leaned his head back, looking up at the ceiling, humming to himself.

"I'm glad you're having a good day, hopefully it'll be a long time until the next bad day," whispered Hoetaek. Changgu hummed in response as he nodded.