Chapter 4

A 'Shifter's Silence

The next few days were normal, at least as normal as it could get in Changgu's life since everything changed. He was still feeling tired even after getting a lot of sleep but at least he wasn't in pain for the time being. It looked to be nonexistent for now, but the others still kept an eye on him.

Changgu had woken up before the others, at least those who actually slept, and laid in bed for a few minutes to see if it was a good day. He wanted to get a morning run in, and he wondered who would go with him as he got up as quietly as he could. It was sort of helped by Yuto's snoring as he left the room and padded into the kitchen to see if he could get some water.

"You're up early," said Myungsoo as he came out of his room. Changgu nodded, getting a glass of water and drinking it as he turned to Myungsoo. "I was going to hunt, Hyojung usually joins me but do you want to go on a run? I won't go far," said Myungsoo. Changgu nodded, putting the cup down in the sink when he was done. Myungsoo smiled softly. "Alright, after you then," he said. Changgu all but ran out the door, causing Myungsoo to laugh softly before going to join him.

Changgu's wolf form ran with Myungsoo as they ran through the forest, Myungsoo searching for a herd of deer and Changgu just enjoying the wind in his fur again. Changgu stopped when Myungsoo found a herd to go after, waiting until he was done with his kills as he sat down.

Myungsoo came over after he was done with his kills and pet Changgu on the head. "You did well with keeping up with me," he said, grinning. Changgu snorts, nudging Myungsoo as he wagged his tail. "It's definitely a good day today," said Myungsoo as he chuckled some. "Let's go then, I'm sure the others are awake by now," he said. Changgu nodded and walked back with Myungsoo, going to get changed and put on his clothes before walking in the backdoor where the others were sitting in the kitchen.

"Oi! There he is," said Kino as he spotted Changgu. "I guess it's one of your best days if you went running," said Yanan as he walked over. Changgu nodded, going to lean against the counter as his eyes shone with true innocence again, something that everyone took notice of.

"It is one of your best days!" Said Jaemin as he tackled Changgu, causing Changgu to laugh as he was nearly knocked over if Yanan didn't catch them both. "Who's going into town today?" Asked Yuto. "I have work again," he said, sighing as he went to get ready. "More clients to meet with," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head before going to get ready. "Sungyeol finally got tired of driving you guys to and from work eh?" Asked Myungsoo as he chuckled some. "Apparently so," Hoetaek called.

Changgu gave a confused look and Yanan chuckled. "While you were out of it Sungyeol got them a car," said Yanan. Changgu hummed. "It's a Honda Pilot," said Jaemin. "It looks good, runs good, it'll get them to work and back," he said. Changgu nodded, before going to go change clothes.

"Going with us today?" Asked Yuto as Changgu went to change clothes in their room. Changgu nodded, grinning in response. "I'll make sure to save a scone for you then," Yuto said laughing some as he got done getting ready. Changgu went to get Hoetaek after he was done changing.

"Okay okay," said Hoetaek as he chuckled. "Let's go then," he said, going out to the suv. Yuto was in the backseat on the driver's side with Hoetaek driving and Changgu in the passenger seat as they headed to Toronto.

"If you were wondering, Chani had some messages to deliver to some factions," said Hoetaek as he drove. "Thus the whole getting us a car thing," he said. "Myungsoo stayed behind and Sungjong had to go to Europe with Sungyeol," he said. "Chani's in the U.S. right now," he said. Changgu hummed in response. "I suspect they won't be long but," Hoetaek as he shrugged.

Yuto went to clock in when they got there, scowling at his coworker for making him open the store the other day by himself. Hoetaek shook his head and went to sit at his usual spot while Changgu got a scone from Yuto who handed him two coffees to give to himself and Hoetaek. Hoetaek took the coffee and grinned in thanks before opening up his newspaper and started reading. Changgu nibbled on his scone as he people watched, humming to himself.

The door chimed and in walked a familiar face, with Yuto giving his usual fake enthusiastic greeting that had a cold bite to it. "Welcome! What can I get you?" He asked. "The usual," said Jinho as he shrugged. Hoetaek looked out from his newspaper with an eyebrow raised, making eye contact with Jinho before shaking his head and hiding behind the newspaper again. Changgu had frozen in his spot, but kept his eyes on the table in front of him.

"3$, name on cup?" Asked Yuto. "Jinho," said Jinho as he shrugged before handing the money to Yuto. Yuto hummed and processed his order before grabbing the receipt and writing down to look for the newspaper before handing it back to Jinho and going to make his drink. Jinho read the receipt before going to walk over to where Hoetaek and Changgu were.

"What brings you here?" Asked Hoetaek as he peeked out from his newspaper. "Saw you enter the store," said Jinho as he shrugged. "Wanted to see how you were doing," he said, sitting down. "I see Changgu's... Surviving," he said. Changgu snorts, keeping his gaze at Hoetaek's newspaper and reading the front page. "He'd be better off if you didn't do that," Hoetaek said, a sudden icy tone in his voice.

Jinho flinched. "Yeah, of course," he muttered. "Don't come here to apologize, the damage has been done," said Hoetaek. "I wasn't here to do that," said Jinho. "But good to know I can't even do that," he said.