Chapter 17

A 'Shifter's Silence

Sungyeol was in shock as he looked down at Changgu's body. Vampires knew exactly when a person dies when their heart beat stops, and just before Changgu's heart beat stopped he heard Changgu say he was sorry. Yanan heard it loud and clear, but they both knew that Yuto didn't hear it.

Yuto wasn't sure what had happened, but judging by the way Yanan was currently soaking the front of his shirt with desperate sobbing Changgu had passed on. All he could do was whisper words in comfort, staying as strong as possible for him.

The others soon appeared with confused expressions on their faces. Hoetaek took one look at Yanan and Yuto and went to bring them both into a hug. "Damn it!" Screamed Kino as he went to punch something once he figured out what was wrong. "God damn it!" He shouted. "We tried," he spat. "This is our damn karma!" He shouted as he finally broke down, falling to his knees and sobbing. "I'm sorry Changgu! I'm sorry," he sobbed as Shinwon went to bring him into his arms, rocking him back and forth and offering words in comfort.

Chani and Sungyeol could only look on in sorrow. "Come on," said Chani. "We'll have a proper burial for him," he said. "Let's let the others calm down first," said Sungyeol. "We'll put him in the jeep for now," he said. Chani nodded and went to find something to line the floor of the trunk before coming back with a sheet and opening the trunk before lining the floor with the sheet. Sungyeol went to lay Changgu's body down gently, moving away with a sigh.

"He looks so peaceful doesn't he?" Asked Chani. "If I didn't know any better I'd think he was sleeping," he said. "I know, same," said Sungyeol as he covered Changgu's body with the sheet and closed the trunk.

The others came over after a few minutes, somewhat calmer than earlier. "Ready?" Asked Chani. Everyone nodded. "We- We'll have a proper funeral right?" Asked Yanan, stuttering slightly as his breath hitched. "Yes," said Chani. "We'll take him to the spot," said Sungyeol. "I think that'd be for the best," mumbled Hoetaek. "I think he'd like that," said Yanan. "I know how much he likes the spot," he said. Sungyeol drove the others home in silence, no one wanting to speak.

When they got back and told everyone the news everyone was in different states of shock. Hyojung yelled in frustration before heading out to vent his anger by running. Hongseok was in a state of denial, not wanting to believe it. Myungsoo and Sungjong were frozen in shock, unsure of what to do in this situation. Jaemin went to Chani and hugged him, sobbing.

"I- I need some help cleaning him up," said Sungyeol as he walked into Myungsoo's room an hour later. "I'll help," said Myungsoo as he nodded. Everyone else except Hyojung had gone off to their rooms to process it all by that time. "Let's go then," said Sungyeol as he went to do so with Myungsoo following after him. They brought Changgu's body into the bathroom to clean him up, gently putting him down and taking off what was left of his clothes. "Myungsoo, can you see if we can get any clean clothes?" Sungyeol asked softly. "Sure," said Myungsoo as he went to see. He soon came back and helped Sungyeol clean up Changgu's body.

"I still can't believe he's gone," said Kino as he lay down on Yuto's bed with Shinwon, who was snuggling into his side. "I know," said Shinwon. "Everyone has a hard time processing it," Yuto said from the bunk above. "He was doing so well," he said. "He almost got the cure but," he said, sighing.

"Do you think Hyojung's coming back?" Came Hongseok's voice from across the room. "He will," said Yanan from his spot in Changgu's bed. "He needs to process this like we do," he said. "If he's not back by midnight I'm sure someone will go get him," he said.

Hyojung was wandering aimlessly at this point, his wolf form just going through the forest with no destination in mind. He wasn't even sure where he was anymore. He didn't even know where home was. He just kept going forward, his body just moving and nothing more.

It was how Chani found him, after an hour of searching. "Hyojung," he said softly. Hyojung turned, a growl ripping through his throat. "It's alright, let's head home," said Chani as he kept his stance neutral. "The others are worried you know," he said softly. At that Hyojung let his body collapse, returning to human form as he was sobbing. Chani walked up to him, bringing Hyojung into his arms. "It's alright, it's alright," he said, rubbing Hyojung's back. Hyojung continued to sob into Chani's chest, his mind finally accepting it.

"Come on," said Chani as he got Hyojung to get dressed after the sobbing finally stopped. "I'll carry you home on my back okay?" He asked. "I-I... Sure," mumbled Hyojung. Chani could only look on in sympathy before turning around and bending down. Hyojung climbed onto Chani's back, clutching his shoulders as he buried his face into his back, sniffling. Chani stood, adjusting Hyojung slightly before sprinting off, heading back to the house.

Sungjong was outside looking up at the stars when Chani returned with Hyojung who had fallen asleep on the way back. "Welcome back," he said. Chani nodded and Sungjong went to open the back door for him, closing the door after Chani was inside. Chani went to the 'shifter's room and knocked on the door, adjusting Hyojung slightly.

Yanan came to the door, looking relieved to see Chani carrying Hyojung. "Come on in," he said softly, moving to let Chani in. Chani went inside and Yanan pointed to the bed that was Hyojung's, going to help Hyojung off Chani's back and lay him in bed.

"The funeral's tomorrow," said Chani. "I thought I'd let you know so you can tell the others," he said. Yanan nodded. "I will," he said softly. "We'll need everyone in wolf form again eh?" He asked. Chani smiled slightly, nodding before leaving the room.

Hoetaek was lying in Sungyeol's arms, still processing everything. "Chani came back with Hyojung," said Sungyeol. "I heard," mumbled Hoetaek. "Yuto wanted Changgu to take him to the spot you know," he said. "I know," said Sungyeol. "I wonder what it looks like now?" Asked Hoetaek. "I don't know," Sungyeol said softly. "Get some sleep," he said. "We have an early day tomorrow," he said. Hoetaek hummed, nodding.