Chapter 2

A 'Shifter's Silence

While Daniel was waiting on their order Jaehyun decided to enlighten Hoetaek about his last three pack members. "Apparently they've really crossed the line with what happened with Changgu," he said. "Really?" Asked Hoetaek as he put the newspaper down and leaned forward. "Tell me more," he said.

"It wasn't supposed to go to your old pack," said Jaehyun as he shrugged. "It was supposed to go to more known packs to see if they could weed out any unloyal members," he said. "Your pack was loyal to you, except for one person," he said. "Wooseok," said Hoetaek. "Exactly," said Jaehyun. "It wasn't enough but somehow they managed to get their hands on one of the syringes," he said.

"Do you know if there's a cure?" Asked Sungyeol, speaking for Changgu as he started to fidget nervously. "No," said Jaehyun as he sighed. "Again it was in testing," he said. "There wasn't time to work on one," he said. "Hyojung got his hands on a sort of cure," said Hoetaek. "That didn't work did it?" Asked Jaehyun. Hoetaek shook his head.

"Just survive a little longer Changgu," said Jaehyun as he got up and went to pat Changgu on the shoulder. "Order for Daniel!" Shouted Yuto. Daniel went to get the order as Jaehyun walked over to him and they left. "That means they're working on a cure right?" Asked Yuto as he walked over after seeing he'd be alone for a bit. "I don't know," said Hoetaek as he sighed, bringing up the newspaper to hide his frustrated look.

Changgu looked down at his hands which were resting on the table before looking up again, putting up the innocent look for now. He didn't want his hyungs and Yuto to be worried. At least not now. Especially not now. He could feel his energy just not being at 100% anymore, and it worried him. It wasn't just the pain, sometimes he still felt like he was dying due to being bedridden for days at a time. It seemed to be getting better at least, but he didn't know how much longer he could keep fighting before he just gives up.

"Anyway," said Sungyeol as he got up, causing Changgu to look up from his thoughts. "Come on," he said, offering a soft smile. "We should get back," he said. Changgu nodded and got up, following Sungyeol out to the jeep.

"I know you don't want us to worry," Sungyeol said softly as he drove home with Changgu looking out the passenger side window. "Don't hide it alright? We're all here for you," he said. Changgu hummed, nodding. "If you need help just say so," said Sungyeol. "Even if you have to throw something at the door," he added, causing Changgu to laugh softly as he imagined doing so just to get someone's attention. "I know, I know," Sungyeol said, laughing some. "I don't see you doing it either but, at least try okay?" He asked. Changgu nodded.

It seemed like forever when they got back to the house, Sungyeol shaking Changgu slightly to wake him up. "Changgu?" He asked. Changgu whined, moving away from Sungyeol. "We're home buddy, do you want me to get someone?" Came Sungyeol's voice as Changgu struggled to open his eyes. All Changgu could do was nod, and he heard Sungyeol get out of the jeep before everything went black again.

Changgu came to his senses a few hours later, finding himself laying sprawled out on his bed as he opened his eyes. At first he felt nothing then he started coughing again. He could barely hear hurried footsteps and hearing Jaemin's shout of "guys!" He managed to roll off the bed and onto his back on the floor as he spotted Jaemin enter the room in a hurry with Hongseok and Hyojung following behind him.

"Changgu!" Said Hongseok. Changgu groaned, getting into another coughing fit as he curled up into a ball. "Come on, help me sit him up," said Hongseok as he and Hyojung went to do so. They helped prop Changgu up onto the side of the bed as Jaemin went to get him something to drink. Changgu's breathing was ragged as he tried to get his breathing under control.

"Changgu," said Hongseok. "Are you in pain?" He asked. Changgu shook his head no. Jaemin came back with a cup of water and a straw and handed it to Changgu who drank it all before going into another coughing fit. Hongseok rubbed his back, looking concerned. "Man I'm glad Yanan isn't here right now," Changgu heard Jaemin grumble. "Hush, you're not making things any better," said Hongseok.

Changgu briefly wondered if his brother abandoned him as he heard those words. He was the weaker of the two of them after all. He was the older between the two of them and yet Yanan was different. Completely different from him. He wasn't good enough. He just wasn't good enough...

"Changgu? Changgu!" He heard Hongseok call out to him before everything went black.

 

~



"You're worthless you know that!" Shouted Changgu's father as he received yet another beating. Changgu could only whimper in reply as he took the blows. His own mother couldn't save him from these beatings, she never knew about it. He was always taken and beaten away from the house, his healing kicking in before anything fatal could happen.

He got to meet Yanan the other day while he was out running errands and his father threw a fit and beat him as soon as they got back. "Even your brother is more independent than you," spat his father before he walked away.

 

~



The next time Changgu became aware of his surroundings it was dark. He could hear the vampires in the house moving about, and hear Yuto's snoring across the room from him. He didn't want to move but he needed to use the bathroom. He hit the top bunk wondering if Yanan was there.

Yanan immediately woke and poked his head down. "Oh, hey you're awake," he said softly. "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" He asked. Changgu turned to look at his brother and nodded. Yanan moved and was soon down from the top bunk and helped Changgu stand, taking him to the bathroom and leaving him outside the bathroom and hoping he was fine.

Changgu came out of the bathroom after he washed his hands and stumbled slightly, falling into Yanan's arms as Yanan caught him. "Whoa there," Yanan said softly. "Come on, let's get you to bed okay?" He asked. Changgu nodded into Yanan's chest before Yanan helped him back to their room. He passed out as soon as he was put into bed, feeling the covers being put on him before he went completely under.