Chapter 9

A 'Shifter's Silence

When Jaemin came back Hoetaek came with him, looking relieved to see Changgu awake. "You know," said Hoetaek as he sat down on the edge of the bed next to Changgu. "I heard you say something, just before you went under," he said. Changgu blinked, looking up at Hoetaek as Jaemin held a cup of water with a straw in it to Changgu's lips. Changgu drank what he could before pushing the cup away and Jaemin moved back.

"Why did you say Shinwon's name?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu blinked again, before shaking his head. "Is that for us to ask Kino?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu nodded. Hoetaek hummed, looking thoughtful before nodding. "I trust your judgement on things, especially every time something comes up and you decide to speak," he said. "The vampires had left our judgement of Kino up to us," he said. Changgu nodded. "Jaemin, can you tell Yuto to bring Kino in here?" Asked Hoetaek. Jaemin nodded and went to do so, with everyone else soon piling into the room.

"Changgu," Yanan said softly. "Is it that important that you had to say Shinwon's name?" He asked. Changgu nodded, pushing himself to sit up, his arms shaking slightly as he had to lean back on his hands. Hoetaek quickly moved to get Changgu to sit against the wall. Changgu was breathing hard at that point, wincing as he felt pain from moving so much.

"Sorry, you're good now," said Hoetaek as he moved away from Changgu. Changgu tried to get his breathing under control again as his breath hitched slightly, causing him to cough. "Deep breaths Changgu, you can do this," said Hoetaek as he went to sit beside Changgu and rub his back. Changgu took a deep breath, trying to even out his breathing as much as possible as Yuto came in, practically dragging Kino behind him.

"Oi," said Kino as he struggled against his restraints as Yuto dropped him in front of Changgu's bed. "What the hell?" He asked. "Changgu, just before he out in the bathroom, said Shinwon's name," said Hoetaek. Kino's expression turned to one of panic. "Where is he?!" He shouted. "Not here," said Hoetaek. "What happened?" He asked.

"Wooseok's keeping him hostage," spat Kino. "If I didn't do these things to Changgu then he'd turn around and do that to Shinwon," he said. Understanding finally appeared on everyone's faces as their eyes widened. "You have to understand, I may be a douche bag but I would never do this to Changgu on purpose," said Kino. "I saw how much Shinwon absolutely adores Changgu, I wouldn't do anything to him on purpose," he said. "I'd sooner die than do that," he spat.

"Why didn't you say something before?" Asked Hongseok. "I tried but no one would god damn listen," growled Kino. "I knew there was something more to this," said Hyojung. "I just hope he didn't do anything to Shinwon," Kino said, finally breaking down as he started sobbing. "I'm sorry Changgu, I didn't want to do this," he sobbed, looking down.

Changgu hummed, moving again with the help of Hoetaek as he stood in front of Kino. His legs were buckling but he let himself fall to his knees and bring Kino into his arms. Kino sobbed into his shoulder as the others watched on with varying degree of shock on their faces.

"Cut him free," Hoetaek said suddenly. Yuto blinked. "Are you-?" He asked. "This is your first time experiencing this but, just before he passed out in the bathroom Changgu spoke," said Hoetaek. "Anytime he speaks, it's been proven that something important is about to come up," said Yanan. "He said Shinwon's name," he said. "Shinwon and Kino are mates," said Hongseok. Yuto hummed, before untying the ropes from Kino's wrists and Kino moved to wrap his arms around Changgu, still sobbing.

Chani was standing in the doorway, with Sungyeol behind him leaning against the wall. "So it's the youngest 'shifter's fault again eh?" He asked. Hoetaek nodded. "The last time Changgu spoke it was to protest against Wooseok's joining our pack," he said. "Everyone sat there and argued for an hour and Changgu had been the most against it," he said, launching the story.

 

~



Changgu had a frustrated look on his face as he looked defiantly at Hoetaek. "I still don't see your point here," said Hoetaek. "Are you really threatening to leave because of one person?!" He shouted. "Just because of bad vibes? What the hell Changgu?" He asked. "If we don't take him in then his parents are just gonna abandon him," he said.

"Give it a shot," said Hongseok as he tried to diffuse the situation. During this particular time Hongseok had been Hoetaek's beta so he stepped in to try and keep a physical fight from happening. "We heard you loud and clear Changgu," he said, pushing the two apart. "But I am not about to abandon someone when their own parents are about to do the same thing," he said. Changgu let out a frustrated growl before turning and running off, changing and sprinting away from them.

 

~



"We should've listened," said Kino as he started to calm down, his breath hitching slightly as he sniffled. "If I knew it'd come down to this, we should've listened," he said. "Karma came back for us all, hitting Changgu the worst," he said, his sobbing starting anew.

"I'm sorry Changgu," said Hoetaek. Changgu shook his head. It wasn't Hoetaek's fault. In some ways it had been everyone's for not listening to him. He just hoped he'd survive until karma finally went for Wooseok.

"Come on," said Hoetaek. "I think it's safe to say we can leave those two alone now," he said. "We need to let Changgu rest and I think Kino needs to have some time to himself," he said. "I-I'll get him to bed," said Kino. "Just l-let me calm down a bit more," he sniffled, his breathing hitching again as he hiccuped. Everyone was hesitant, but eventually left the two alone, going into the livingroom.

Changgu could slowly feel himself blacking out again but he forced himself to stay awake for Kino. Kino needed his comfort, and Changgu would provide it. After a few minutes Kino was calm again, and he moved away from Changgu. "Thank you Changgu," he said. "And, I'm sorry," he said. Changgu nodded, before falling forward and into Kino's arms. He could barely hear Kino call his name before he went under again.