Chapter 15

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu was starting to feel everything kicking in again as his coughing started to become persistent while Hoetaek drove out of Toronto. Hoetaek slammed on the breaks at a stop sign, nearly crashing into the car in front of him. "Changgu," he said, his voice filled with worry. Changgu took deep breaths to try and stop the coughing, waving it off. He wasn't coughing up blood yet, that everyone was sure of.

Hoetaek wanted to say something, be the alpha in the situation but he rarely used his alpha's voice unless he had to. He looked into the rear view mirror at Kino and Yuto for help but they shrugged, unsure of what to do. "Is there water in the back?" He asked, finally deciding to not do anything for now as he drove the car forward and stopped at the intersection. Kino reached forward and handed Changgu a bottle.

Changgu took it, almost downing the entire bottle before he put the bottle down. His breath was coming out in soft pants again as he tried to even out his breathing. Hoetaek could only look on in worry before he drove on, continuing the hour long journey back home.

"Oi," said Kino as he looked behind him. "I think we're being followed," he said. Hoetaek hummed, looking in the rear view mirror. "I see that," he said. They were barely out of city limits at this rate, and Hoetaek looked for another way around to hopefully lose them.

As they found another way a car rammed into the side of the car, throwing everyone to the side as the car slammed into the wall of a building. "What the hell?" Asked Hoetaek as he looked around. Changgu winced, looking around. "Everyone alright?" Asked Hoetaek. "Yeah," said Kino. "I think I'm okay," called Yuto. Hoetaek forced the driver's side open before going to get the others out. Changgu whimpered when Hoetaek moved him.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Asked Hoetaek as he stopped moving Changgu. "Hyung, I think there's blood," said Yuto. Hoetaek went to see, finding a piece of metal pierced through Changgu's side near the right kidney. "Damn it," said Hoetaek. "I'mma have to yank you out okay?" He asked. "Hopefully your healing is still good," he said. Changgu nodded and braced himself, crying out when he was yanked free of the metal shard.

"It's okay, it's okay," reassured Hoetaek as he carried Changgu to sit him down somewhere. "We're in an abandoned part of town it looks like," said Yuto as he looked around. Hoetaek checked Changgu over for any other injuries, noting the fast healing rate with a relieved sigh.

"Okay you're good," he said. "Are you in pain?" He asked. Changgu nodded. "Where?" Asked Hoetaek. Changgu put a hand on his chest, the coughing come back. "Damn it," said Hoetaek. "We need to get to the others," he said. "Anyone's phone good?" He asked. "Mine is," said Kino as he checked. "Call Sungyeol or someone," said Hoetaek. Kino nodded and went to do so.

"Guys," called Yuto. "We're not alone here," he called as someone was approaching them. Hoetaek looked over, spotting Wooseok with Shinwon. "Well, the false alpha shows up then," he growled. "Damn, I thought that killed him," said Wooseok as he shook his head.

"Kino, don't you dare," warned Hoetaek as Kino almost stepped towards Shinwon. "It wasn't hard to break him after his mate left him," said Wooseok. "You brainwashed him," snarled Kino as he took a step forward only to get stopped by Yuto who put a hand on his arm. "Don't," said Yuto. "Leave me alone," spat Kino as he yanked his arm away, staying where he was.

"Look at you, getting controlled by a mere human," said Wooseok. "Leave Yuto out of this," spat Hoetaek. "I'll exchange one for the other," said Wooseok. "Shinwon for Changgu," he said. "Why the hell do you think I'll agree to those terms?" Spat Hoetaek as he turned to Wooseok. "I have this so called cure," said Wooseok as he held up a syringe.

Changgu got to his feet, grunting from the effort. He started to walk forward, being stopped by Hoetaek who finally used his alpha's voice. "Don't," spat Hoetaek, his voice changing slightly. "I am not about to exchange you for Shinwon, cure and mates be damned," he said, glaring at Wooseok.

Changgu turned to his alpha, his eyes filled with apology as he kept his posture posed in defiance. "Your health is more important, he could be lying for all I care," spat Hoetaek as he glared back at Changgu. "Hoetaek," said Kino, his voice shaking slightly. "I think this is for the best," he said.

"And why would that be?" Snarled Hoetaek as he turned to Kino. Kino flinched under the alpha's voice, forcing himself to stand straight as he did so. "Karma's come back for us all," he said. "Let him go," he said. Hoetaek's expression finally changed, his shoulders slumping as he looked down. "Fine," said Hoetaek. "I'm sorry Changgu," he said.

Changgu hummed, turning away and walking towards Shinwon. Shinwon walked forward, patting Changgu on the shoulder in a way of apologizing. Changgu paused to turn back to Shinwon, grabbing his arm and slipping something into his hand before walking towards Wooseok. Shinwon looked back before continuing forward.

Once Wooseok and Changgu left Hoetaek slammed his fists into the wall. "Damn it," he spat. "God damn it," he sobbed. Yuto walked over and brought Hoetaek into his arms, with Hoetaek sobbing into Yuto's chest.

"Why didn't you stop it?" Sobbed Hoetaek. "I'm perceptive as hell remember, it's why I'm a tracker," said Kino. "There's a reason why Changgu went," said Shinwon as he examined the piece of paper he had been given. "What does it say?" Asked Kino as he walked over. "Track him," said Shinwon. "He wants us to track him," he said.

"We better start doing that," said Sungyeol as he pulled up in the jeep with Chani and Yanan. "Where did he go?" He asked. "That way," said Yuto as he pointed forward. Hoetaek moved away, wiping his face with his shirt. "We'll get him back for this," he said. "We will," agreed Yanan. "Hop in," said Sungyeol. Everyone piled into the jeep before Kino pointed in the direction Wooseok and Changgu went.