Chapter 1

A 'Shifter's Silence

Was today a good day or a bad day? Changgu couldn't tell as he was woken up by a loud thump coming from across the room. He heard Yuto cursing about having to go open the store this morning as Yuto moved to get ready. Changgu whimpered softly as the pain hit, curling up into a ball in his bed and trying to fall back asleep.

"Sorry for waking you," came Yuto's soft voice as he walked over to check on Changgu. Changgu hummed, shaking his head. "Is it a good day?" Asked Yuto. Changgu shook his head no. "I'm sorry," Yuto said softly, patting Changgu on the shoulder. Changgu peeked out from his spot on the bed to see Yuto staring back, looking concerned. Yuto seemed to search for something indicating that Changgu was going to speak before he sighed and moved away to finish getting ready.

Changgu was left to bury himself in the blankets again, stretching out to hopefully lessen some of the pain. He heard Yanan move in the bunk above him, then the sounds of Yanan stepping down from the ladder that went up to his bed. "Changgu?" Came Yanan's voice from somewhere behind him. Changgu hummed, lifting his head to look at his brother. "Is it a good day?" Asked Yanan. Changgu shook his head no, forcing his body to move to sit up.

"Well, I guess it's an okay day considering your moving but," Yanan said, sighing as he nodded. "I'll bring you breakfast okay?" He asked. Changgu nodded, moving to sit against the wall with a soft whimper from having to move so much as he grabbed his phone. He could hear Kino and Hongseok start to wake up, the both of them grumbling about having to get up as they both got down from their top bunks. "Morning Changgu," Hongseok said, offering a tired grin as he left the room. Kino nodded to Changgu before leaving the room after Hongseok. Hyojong was already awake it seemed, as Changgu saw that his bed was neatly made.

There was commotion coming from the kitchen as all the vampires came out of their rooms to say good morning. It seemed Hoetaek was ready to head into Toronto today, as he heard Yuto yell "finally." Changgu huffs out a laugh which soon got into a coughing fit, causing Yanan to rush into the room. Yanan went to get water before coming back with a cup and a straw in it. Changgu took the cup from Yanan and drank it, letting out a small whimper when he was done.

"More?" Asked Yanan. Changgu nodded, causing Yanan to laugh. "Okay okay, let me help you up," said Yanan as he went to help Changgu stand. Changgu took a few unsteady steps, letting Yanan keep a hand to his back in case he fell backwards before he left the room and walked into the kitchen. "Morning Changgu," said Chani as he offered a smile. Changgu nodded, offering a grin in return as he went to sit down at the kitchen table.

"Who wants to go into town today?" Asked Sungyeol, who was working on breakfast, as Yanan went to get Changgu some more water. "Well, I have work so," Yuto said, scratching the back of his head. "I have clients to meet up with again," Hoetaek said with a huff, causing everyone to chuckle. "I guess I'll go too," said Kino. "I am curious as to where the other three went," he said.

"Don't," said Hoetaek. "Shinwon will track you again, he's almost at your level of tracking," he said. "I guess," said Kino. Yanan shook his head and put the cup of water in front of Changgu for him to drink. Changgu leaned forward and drank from the straw, looking at his hands as he listened to the others talk.

"Where's Hyojong?" Asked Hoetaek. "Ah, he went for a morning run," said Chani. "Typical," Yanan said with a chuckle. Changgu chuckled as he nodded, moving the cup away when he was done.

Yuto came into the kitchen as Hyojong returned from his run, with Jaemin coming inside from sitting on the porch swing. "Here," said Sungyeol as he put plates of food on the kitchen table. Everyone went to eat, making small conversation here and there about what was going to happen that day. After eating breakfast Changgu decided to accompany Sungyeol, Hoetaek and Yuto to Toronto.

"Well," said Yuto as he went to set up behind the counter. "I'm alone today," he said, scowling as he rushed to get everything set up. Sungyeol shook his head and went to help, using his vampire speed to get everything ready. Changgu was left to stand by the windows and look out while Hoetaek went to sit at his usual spot and read a newspaper.

Sungyeol came over with a scone for Changgu, taking note of Changgu's relaxed posture. "It helps when you move doesn't it?" He asked. Changgu turned to Sungyeol, shrugging as he looked at the scone and took it, grinning in thanks. Sungyeol chuckled and went to turn on the "open" sign before going to sit near Hoetaek. Changgu wandered over after a few minutes and sat down.

"Who's coming today?" Asked Sungyeol. "According to the text that was sent it's Daniel and his brother Jaehyun," said Hoetaek as he looked at his phone to make sure. "They're the next people I think I can see about Changgu," he said. Changgu hummed, nodding. "Sorry I didn't ask you first but," said Hoetaek as he looked apologetic when he peeked out from his newspaper. Changgu shook his head. Any information could help them now.

Yuto sighed as the first people came through giving his fake enthusiastic greetings as he went to get their orders and put them off to the side. The morning rush was just beginning and Yuto had to be quick about getting orders.

At least it wasn't as busy today, but he still got backed up a few times, apologizing profusely to the customers as he called out their drinks. The customers could only give looks in sympathy as they noticed that Yuto was the only one working today.

The bell rang after the morning rush and Yuto gave his usual fake enthusiastic greeting. "Welcome! What can I get you?" He asked. "The usual please," said Jaehyun as he grinned. "6$, name on cup?" Asked Yuto. "Daniel," said Daniel. Yuto nodded and went to write the names down, taking the money from Jaehyun and checking out the drinks before writing down on the receipt to look for the newspaper and handing Jaehyun the change and the receipt before going to make their drinks.

Jaehyun read the receipt, noticing Hoetaek's newspaper in the corner as Changgu and Sungyeol had moved during the morning rush. He walked over, nodding to Changgu and Sungyeol as he sat down. "Like the news?" He asked. Hoetaek peeked out from his newspaper. "I guess," he said, chuckling some as he went to get the information he needed before handing a piece of paper to Jaehyun.

"Yes, Moonbin contacted me," said Jaehyun as he looked for Daniel who was leaning against a pillar waiting on their order. "I don't know if there is a cure but," he said, sighing a bit. "It's still new," he said. "I hope there's one soon," said Hoetaek. "I know," said Jaehyun. "I can tell your friend has been suffering for a long time, but he's got fight left in him still if he's doing good today," he said. Hoetaek hummed in response.