Chapter 12

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu came back to the world when he heard movement, opening his eyes as his head automatically turned in that direction and spotting Hyojung getting up and getting ready for a morning run. Hyojung turned, spotting Changgu awake and walking over to him and sitting at the edge of the bed. "Morning Changgu," he said. Changgu nodded in response. "Is it a good day?" Asked Hyojung. Changgu thought about it before nodding. Hyojung smiled softly. "Good then," he said. "Want to go on a morning run?" He asked. Changgu grinned, moving to get up. Hyojung laughs softly before before getting up and helping Changgu get ready before they left, going out the back door to go change and go running.

Hyojung lead the way, keeping an eye on Changgu while he was at it. He wasn't sure of Changgu's energy levels today but he would take caution and stop if Changgu got tired. They were soon joined by Hoetaek and Sungyeol, the two of them going hunting. "Decided to go without us today?" Asked Sungyeol as he chuckled before sprinting ahead so Hoetaek could be with Hyojung and Changgu.

Their usual route followed after Sungyeol's path, at least for this morning. Usually it was Myungsoo or Chani but it had been a while since Hoetaek went hunting with Sungyeol. Hoetaek pushed ahead to get a kill when a herd of deer ran towards them, as did Hyojung. Changgu was left to scare the rest off, snarling at them in warning. He came to a stop when he came into the others view, sitting down and panting slightly as he gave a wolfy grin.

Sungyeol turned to Changgu after he was done with his deer and smiled softly before walking over and petting him on the head. "It's a good day, isn't it?" He asked. Changgu nodded. "Good," said Sungyeol. Hyojung and Hoetaek came over with their deer, and Sungyeol turned to drain the deer before going to bury two and take one back. They had been running out of venison again it seemed.

After burying the 2 deer Sungyeol dragged the third back with the others following after him at a normal human pace. After getting changed and putting their clothes on Hoetaek, Hyojung and Changgu headed inside as Myungsoo came outside to get the cuts of venison.

"So what's the plan this morning?" Asked Hyojung. "I have a couple clients to meet up with today," said Hoetaek as he scratched the back of his head. "Then I'm home free," he said. "Who?" Asked Yuto. "Because I have to go open the store again," he said, scowling as he went to get ready.

"Wonwoo and Dowoon?" Asked Jaemin. "Yes actually," said Hoetaek. "How'd you figure that out?" He asked. "I got a text saying they'd be in Toronto, most hunters usually let me know ahead of time so," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head. "I see," said Hoetaek. "Not saying that the others didn't let me know, they did," said Chani. "I know I know," said Hoetaek as he went to get ready.

Hyojung turned to Changgu who tilted his head to the side. "You going with them?" He asked. Changgu nodded. "Okay," said Hyojung. "I'll go too," he said. "I'll save a scone again," called Yuto as Changgu went to change clothes with Hyojung going to change clothes in the bathroom.

The drive to Toronto was filled with silence, though more due to the fact that it was still early in the morning. Hyojung was in the back with Yuto while Changgu and Hoetaek sat in the front with Hoetaek driving. Once there Yuto hurried to get everything set up with Hoetaek taking the opportunity to help. It seemed Yuto was alone again as they rushed about to get ready. Changgu found himself looking out the windows again, people watching as he hummed to himself.

Hyojung came over with a scone after they were set up, handing it to Changgu who smiled softly in thanks before taking it. Hyojung grinned in return before going to turn on the open sign and going to sit down at Hoetaek's usual table. Changgu soon joined them as Hoetaek went to take his usual spot, hiding behind the newspaper as the morning rush started.

"I feel bad for the days Yuto has to handle the rush by himself," said Hyojung. "Yeah, well, we can blame his coworker," said Hoetaek. "Other days of the week he doesn't have to work til 9 am at least," said Hyojung. "Yeah that's his karma I guess," Hoetaek said with a chuckle.

"What time are you expecting them?" Asked Hyojung. "Ah, after the morning rush like usual, why?" Asked Hoetaek. "I think Changgu wants to explore a bit," said Hyojung as he turned to Changgu. Changgu looked up suddenly, before nodding. "Go ahead," said Hoetaek as he chuckled some. "I'm sure you know your way back," he said. Changgu nodded. "Then go, if you're not back by lunch I'll come find you," said Hoetaek. Changgu nodded, getting up and grabbing Hyojung by the arm before dragging him out the door. "Okay okay," said Hyojung as he followed after Changgu.

Compared to Kino and Hongseok, Hyojung was basically the overprotective older brother to Changgu. He had always been there for Changgu, and when Yanan had left Hyojung found himself in Yanan's place due to Changgu not having anyone to turn to. Granted Changgu still had Yanan, especially after Changgu was reunited with his brother again, but people rarely saw Changgu without Hyojung or Yanan. Hyojung found it as a way to pay Changgu back for letting himself, Kino and Hongseok join them.

Changgu went window shopping, just looking at the various stores near the Starbucks while keeping a hand on Hyojung's arm. If it were anyone else Changgu would've had them take the lead but with Hyojung he found himself almost reverting back to his old child like personality with him.

"Having fun, Changgu?" Asked Hyojung as he chuckled at Changgu's antics. Changgu stopped in front of a pet store to peer in at the puppies at the window, his eyes shining with excitement as he made faces at the puppies. Hyojung shook his head in amusement before taking Changgu away to go look at other stores.

It was around lunch time when Hoetaek went to find them as Changgu went to get food at a McDonalds with Hyojung. Hoyjung was left to order for the both of them, deciding to share a 20 piece McNuggets between them both. "Ready?" Asked Hoetaek when he found them. "I guess," said Hyojung as Changgu came over with their food. "Are we going home already?" He asked. "No but Yuto is worrying you know that," said Hoetaek. Changgu chuckled some before nodding. They headed back to the Starbucks Yuto worked at and sat around Hoetaek's usual table to pass the time.

After work they headed home, with Yuto ranting about having to open alone again today while everyone just listened on in amused silence. "I swear if I didn't get to work at 9 am other days while they opened alone I'd've quit by now," said Yuto. "Well, you get your karma I guess," said Hoetaek as he chuckled. "I guess," said Yuto.

When they got back Changgu was awake, something everyone noted as Hoetaek turned to Changgu. "Oh, you're awake for once!" He said in shock. Changgu turned to Hoetaek, blinking in confusion. "Usually on car rides you fall asleep on the way home," said Yuto as he looked surprised. Changgu shrugged before getting out of the car, almost stumbling if Hyojung didn't catch him as he rushed to get out.

"Well, you must be tired already," said Hyojung. Changgu hummed in response as he yawned. "Let's get you to bed then," said Hyojung as he went to do so. Yanan went to help, noticing that Changgu was awake. "Man, you really did have a good day today," he said. Changgu laughs softly as they got to their room. Yanan moved the covers before moving Changgu into bed with Hyojung taking off his shoes and moving the covers back over him. "Goodnight Changgu," was the last thing Changgu heard before going under.