Chapter 10

A 'Shifter's Silence

Changgu felt like complete crap again, waking up to another coughing fit as he rolled off the bed with a groan. He may have forgiven Kino but nothing could be forgiven for the aftermath of it. He heard footsteps and Kino's soft voice behind him, rubbing his back gently before helping him sit up.

"I wish I could take away this pain," Kino said with a sigh as he looked at Changgu. Changgu hummed, looking away and trying to control his coughing. "I know, that never helps does it?" Asked Kino as he went to get water before coming back and giving it to Changgu who's breathing had become ragged again as the coughing fit stopped. Changgu drank the water, putting the cup down when he was done.

"It's just us apparently," said Kino as he sat beside Changgu. Changgu hummed, nodding. "I want to go track after Shinwon to see where they went but," Kino said, sighing. Changgu hummed in response as he reached for his phone to look through the group chat. The vampires were hunting, Hoetaek and the others were in the city shopping again. "I don't want to leave you alone," said Kino as he shook his head.

Changgu looked up at the ceiling, humming to himself. Kino turned to Changgu. "Are you alright?" He asked. Changgu nodded. "You up for eating?" Asked Kino. Changgu turned to Kino with a skeptical look. "I won't poison it I promise," said Kino as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. Changgu shrugged and got up, grabbing his phone and heading into the kitchen. Kino followed after him, going to the fridge and going to see what was available while Changgu sat at the kitchen table.

"I used to get jealous you know," Kino said suddenly, causing Changgu to snort. "No really," Kino said, laughing. "I guess that's where my douche bag image came from," he said. "I'm better at controlling that though, I think you noticed anyway," he said. Changgu chuckled some, shaking his head.

"I've noticed this with you though," said Kino as he came over with plates of food after heating it up in the microwave. "You're more perceptive than people give you credit for," he said. "Why do you rarely speak?" He asked, putting down the plates of food before sitting down. Changgu hummed, shaking his head as he started eating.

"You don't want to talk about it then?" Asked Kino. Changgu shook his head no. "Well, that's fine," said Kino. "I'm sure you have your reasons for staying silent," he said. "I was similar you know," he said. "At least, in the perception thing," he said. "I think it changes a bit when you find your mate," he said as he ate his food. Changgu hummed, nodding.

"You said Shinwon's name," Kino said suddenly as he stopped eating and looked at Changgu. "Did you know then?" He asked. Changgu paused in his eating to look at Kino. "You did know?" Asked Kino as he tilted his head to the side. Changgu nodded, sighing a bit before going back to eating.

"You didn't want to say anything," said Kino. Changgu nodded. "Were you afraid that I'd do something worse?" Asked Kino. Changgu nodded again. "Understandable I guess," mumbled Kino as he went back to eating.

They both look towards the backdoor when Chani and the other vampires returned. "Oh, you didn't kill each other," said Chani, earning a snort from Kino. "I'm a douche bag but I'm not that bad," said Kino as he shook his head. "Must be a good day then," said Sungyeol as he looked at Changgu. Changgu hummed, nodding as he finished eating.

"Well," said Kino as he finished eating, taking Changgu's plate and going to put it in the fridge again before going to wash his plate. "Changgu, do you want to go running?" He asked. Changgu looked up, blinking in surprise before shrugging. A run wouldn't hurt, really. Kino turned to Changgu, smiling softly when Changgu grinned at him. "A run it is then," he said, turning back to washing the dishes.

"Don't go far, and don't be gone for too long," said Chani. "We won't," said Kino. "I know you'll come hunt us down if we're gone for too long," he said. Chani nodded. "Go enjoy the run then, I think Changgu's been aching to get out of the house," he said with a snicker, earning a crumb getting thrown at him from Changgu. Changgu chuckled some before getting up and running out the door. "Hey!" Shouted Kino as he finished washing the dishes and ran out after Changgu.

Changgu lead the way, as Kino still wasn't familiar with the path that he took when Changgu went running. Kino ran by his side, keeping an eye on Changgu's exhaustion and making sure he wasn't getting too tired too quickly. Changgu was aware of his energy levels, so he didn't go too far, only sticking to half his usual route as he ran.

It was halfway through their run when Hoetaek and Yanan joined them, Hongseok and Hyojung not too far behind. Changgu felt a burst of energy, seeing everyone here with him again. It had really been a long time since everyone went running like this, so he pushed himself, and the others soon pushed to catch up.

Changgu let out an excited howl, catching the others off guard before they let loose their own howls, the excitement getting the better of them. It was good to see Changgu happy again, but how long would it last? It had been on everyone's mind as now he had 3 injections of the drug into his system.

After a bit Changgu started heading back home, feeling the exhaustion start to set in again. Yanan and Hoetaek quickly went to his side and helped him get home, with Hongseok, Hyojung and Kino staying nearby in case they were needed.

Chani was standing in the backyard with an amused smirk on his face as the 'shifters returned in human form after getting dressed. Hoetaek and Yanan were half carrying half guiding Changgu back to the house with his arms around both their shoulders. "Had fun then?" Chani asked, earning a tired grin from Changgu. Chani chuckled some. "Come on in then," he said, holding the door open for them as Hoetaek and Yanan got Changgu inside after a little bit of maneuvering.

"Just a little farther Changgu," said Yanan as Changgu stumbled. Changgu pushed himself to at least walk the rest of the way, though not without keeping an arm around Yanan's shoulder as Yanan got him into their room. Changgu was blacking out again, stumbling onto his bed with a soft groan as Yanan took off his shoes before moving the covers over him. "Good night Changgu," was the last thing Changgu heard before he went under.