Chapter 6

Every memory reminds me of you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don't forget to leave a comment ^^

Who do you want Suzy to end up with ? Jinyoung or Jaebeom ?

Flashback

She woke up early in order to avoid seeing his face the following morning. She didn't want to get drawn back into the void of her own conflicted emotions. It took all of her strength to even dare lay beside him, pretending that nothing happened after he told her that he was going to meet the woman his father is arranging the marriage with. Pretending that she wasn't bothered by it.

'' I can't continue living like this '' She bit her lower lip, her eyes clouding with the witness of threatening tears. Her mind floating back to the articles released about her husband and that woman.

Her hands were shaking as she blindly continued to cut the remaining half of the onion. Vivid imaginative thoughts of them happily chatting, probably sharing the same food and even getting to know each other flooded her mind. Jaebeom and her fell in love with each other in less than a month. How can she be sure that he won't fall in love with this woman and abandon her. 

No matter how much she tried to positively think that he loved her, the fear of Jaebeom dropping her without looking back devoured her like wildfire.

The clouding tears finally found their way to fall like gentle rain across her cheeks. She continuously cut the ingredient, not a single care given even if she couldn't see the blade of the knife clearly. The sharp edge of the knife slicing her finger without fail.

She heard slow footsteps approaching her from behind until she felt a pair of strong arms rest itself on her waist. She shut her eyes, hoping that somehow it'll keep the tears from falling.

But it was already late.

She stayed in place until she felt his hands gently turn her around to face him. With eyes dead locked on his features, she watched at how his eyebrows furrowed in confusion at her current look. Jaebeom slowly lifted a finger up to wipe the tear that just rolled down her cheek.

'' Are you alright ?. Why are you crying ? ''.

'' It's nothing, it's just a cut ''.

She saw how his eyes traveled towards the blood-stained knife she settled beside the chopping board. His eyes narrowed on her left index finger that continued to bleed.

'' I've told you a lot of times that you don't have to do this. There's a maid '' He said softly and immediately went to get something.

He came back with a plaster and a paper towel. He lifted her wounded finger and she almost succumbed to the gentle feeling of his fingers tracing her own while he carefully dabbed the wound clean. His eyes were fairly concentrated on making sure she won't feel any pain as he cleaned the wound. His eyes returned their gaze towards hers and she witnessed how gentle and loving he looked, like she's the most precious thing in this world.

But these were just a bunch a lies. He prioritized his company over her.

She pulled her hand away from his grasp and distanced herself from him. The look on his face was a lie. It wasn't true. He chose to spend his free time with this woman that he wasn't even going to marry than to spend it with his wife when he knew exactly that they spend so little time together.

'' Suzy '' He called, unsure of what to say himself. '' You're not yourself today. I'd like to know your thoughts on what's bothering you '' His voice spoke softly, mild confusion becoming evident on his face.

'' I'm tired of this life  ''.

'' My love, Can you tell me what's bothering you ? '' He replied as he attempted to get close but he paused midway when Suzy lifted her arm to stop him from doing so.

'' You say that you love me but why can't i feel it ? '' She paused '' You're barely home and even when you're here, you're always working. I feel alone ''.

This made Jaebeom look at her with a surprised hurt etched upon his features. His mouth went slightly agape, his brows formed in a thin line.

'' I love you '' His hands finally reached her arm to tug it '' You are the only one preventing me from losing my mind. You are my life. Please don't think less of yourself '' He looked away '' I know you're bothered with the whole arranged marriage '' His hold on her arm was now gone '' You're my wife and i won't ever do anything to hurt you ''.

A small pause was made by Jaebeom as he heaved a frustrated sigh. He inched himself further. There was a look of fear in his eyes. A look of vulnerability, a look of someone who was afraid to let himself out  in the open.

She slowly wrapped her arms around his neck and brought her face closer to him. She felt him still for a moment but he gladly enveloped his arms around her and welcomed her embrace. He straightened his body and faced her fully, meeting her lips midway. She felt him move his own against hers.

Her eyes watched at how open his soul was for her. He was laying everything he has to offer but it was too late. Her own pain already consumed her entirety and she kissed him once again. For the last time.

End Of Flashback

Jaebeom was standing with brows furrowed and a look of dissatisfaction evident on his face when Suzy found him in his assistant's office on her way to his office. He patiently waited by his assistant's desk, sharp eyes glued to the poor employee scrambling over a certain document that was edited for a hundred times already.

'' How many times must you come back to me with the same mistake ? '' His cold baritone echoed through the walls, setting an uneasy atmosphere around.

'' I-I-I'll do it right away. I'm so sorry Mr.Im '' The employee apologized a lot of time before rushing towards his office to fix the document again.

She watched as he heaved a sigh, his shoulders tensing as his hand was pressing against his chest before he removed it and tried to mask any hint of pain that showed on his face.

'' Assistant Kim. '' He faced his assistant who was typing on her desk '' I want all the pending works finished before 5 pm ''.

'' Mr. Im '' Suzy finally called and went over to where he is, his stormy eyes eventually softened up when he saw her.

'' Ms.Bae '' He replied, voice as gentle as ever. It was a freak of nature for others to see him this gentle '' Please, come in ''.

Suzy closed the door behind her as she watched Jaebeom sitting behind his desk. His entire body was tense and Suzy shook her head in disapproval.

'' The doctor said that you need to rest and to avoid stress but what i'm seeing right now is exactly the opposite '' Suzy said softly as she walked towards his desk.

'' I'm fine '' Jaebeom argued, his eyes narrowing at her.

'' Jaebeom, you had an accident two days ago !. You should be resting in your house '' She told him.

'' I'm going nowhere '' His tone was strained '' Why are you here ? ''.

He watched as Suzy pushed two tablets out of the blister pack onto his hand '' You'll take two of these. No arguments. ''

Jaebeom looked at her for a second before swallowing the tablets with a sip of water '' How did you know ? ''.

'' Some habits never change '' She said softly '' Now, will you rest for an hour ? ''.

She moved towards the chaise lounge chair located near the large window then looked expectantly at him '' Come over here and sit down ''.

Jaebeom stood up slowly and made his way towards her, he stopped in front of her for a moment, before he tried to sit down as slowly as possible trying not to move so much. The sharp pain was back and he found himself holding his breath to ease it.

'' Are you going to stay here ? '' He whispered.

She nodded as she patted the pillow '' Head on pillow. Now ''.

Jaebeom slowly met her eyes. He desperately wanted her to leave, it was uncomfortable to have her watch him go through this pain. He would rather suffer alone in his office like he had always done for years.

'' I don't think i can '' He admitted.

Suzy sighed '' You can't sit up all night ''.

Jaebeom slowly crawled up onto the lounge chair and his head fell toward the pillow. His arm was wrapped around himself and he was breathing in shallow little pants as the stabbing pain shot through him.

Suzy looked at him in concern as she reached for his hand and squeezed it tightly, trying to soothe his pain. She watched as his eye lids slowly began to descend over his eyes, his breathing grew steady and slow. The pills seemed to have its effect finally.

Few minutes later, he has drifted into a much needed nap. Gently she ran her fingers through his hair. A dull ache knotted within her chest as she stared down at Jaebeom sleeping peacefully. Her fingers continued to comb through his black hair almost like she used to do when they were married.

She took the rest of the time taking a look at his office. The shelves of his book case were quite bare expect for a collection of familiar books that she knew really well. Her eyes widened, she didn't know that Jaebeom read all the books she wrote. She then noticed a box placed near the books. The box that contained their engagement rings.

'' What are you doing ? '' Jaebeom's low voice interrupted her.

'' I was just taking a look at your office '' She paused as she turned to look at him '' How are you feeling ? ''.

Jaebeom sat up in the lounge chair, wincing in the process, but it wasn't as painful as earlier '' I feel .. better ''.

Suzy couldn't help herself but smile knowing she had helped relieve him of his pain '' Please don't forget to take your pills and rest '' She ordered him softly ''My job is done here, i'll be leaving then ''.

'' I want to thank you '' His tone quiet '' Let's have dinner ''.

She looked up at him '' I was just concerned about you. There's no need ''.

'' That was your time as well. That's more valuable than anything. So please, let me repay you with dinner '' His expression was completely serious.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter