Chapter 5

Every memory reminds me of you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don't forget to leave a comment ^^

Who do you want Suzy to end up with ? Jinyoung or Jaebeom ?

Suzy felt a warm blanket being wrapped around her body as her friend, Lee Ji Eun laid a cup of tea in front of her, the two of them sitting inside her kitchen. She sat in front of her as Suzy slowly took the warm cup in her hands. 

Suzy puffed a breath and she could see it visible in the air—proof of how cold the night was. She blew the surface of the tea as she slowly took a sip.

'' You had a fight with Jaebeom ? '' Ji Eun slowly spoke '' I'm afraid that Jinyoung is going to cause a rift between the two of you ''.

Suzy looked at her '' I can't just stop talking to Jinyoung because Im Jaebeom is upset with me ''.

'' Jaebeom seemed distressed lately to be more precise ever since you showed up in front of him again '' She told her calmly '' A lot of things changed during your absence ''.

She felt her eyes water upon the thought. He was distressed. Because of her. Because of her own words and her own actions. It was her fault.

'' If i may ask .. What happened Suzy ?. Why did you ask for divorce ? '' Ji Eun asked as she took a sip from her cup.

'' We rushed into the marriage without knowing the consequences '' She softly said '' Jaebeom was kind enough to accept marrying me in secret because i didn't want my identity revealed but neither of us thought that it was going to cause us more trouble '' Her voice hitched, a sob threatened to escape her lips '' He prioritized his company and work over me. i felt alone and unwanted and as months passed, i felt indifferent. The excitement i felt when he came home was no longer there. I was already used of being alone and soon it didn't matter if he was by side or not, i slowly fall out of love ''.

'' But Jaebeom loves you. You could have discussed it with him '' Ji Eun replied.

Suzy nodded, smiling sourly at herself '' I did discuss it with him but he gave me always the same empty promises and i grew tired of waiting. He also had a strained relationship with his father who wanted to arrange a marriage for him ''.

Suzy heard her friend sigh as she put back her cup of tea on the table '' I understand why you asked him for divorce. But don't you think that things would have been much easier if your relationship wasn't a secret ? ''.

'' We were both stubborn. If only we met under different circumstances '' She replied '' What happened after i traveled abroad ? '' She asked, her voice small. 

Ji Eun sighed again, her eyes closed and her face showing she was debating whether she'd tell her or not. When she came to a conclusion, she looked at her.

'' If you want to know then ... do listen. That day ... '' A small pause then she straightened herself while looking at Suzy '' Jaebeom announced his resignation from the company. His father was furious. He looked for you everywhere, hoping for a second chance but you were already far away from him. ''

Suzy eyes widened. It was the first time hearing that he withdrew his post. Then .. Then it was her fault ? Everything that happened ? His company going bankrupt ? She was the reason for it ?.

'' But he's still working at the company ? ''.

'' His father is ill. Jaebeom promised him that he's going to fix the mess he created before leaving the company. '' Ji Eun told her

'' Mess ? ''

'' The reason the company went bankrupt is because Jaebeom hadn't gone to work for three months. His father tried his best to reduce the damage but it was too late '' Ji Eun paused '' Suzy, can you give him another chance ? ''.

Suzy looked down as she shook her head '' I can't give him a false hope when i no longer feel anything for him. ''.

Ji Eun nodded '' You'll see each other tomorrow at the charity ball. Your father invited him ''.

Mr. Bae found himself with Jaebeom, who was seated alone near the window. He took account of the young CEO from the shadows and followed the direction of Jaebeom's gaze. He watched the dancers, or more rightly, he watched Suzy dance. When he approached him, Jaebeom eyes were upon him as he greeted him. They sat together in silence, watching the dancers.

'' Thank you for coming '' Mr.Bae said.

'' It's my pleasure Mr.Bae '' He replied.

'' Do you remember the charity ball that my daughter held two years ago ?. She was very anxious and nervous back then,but look at her now she's doing a fine job '' He paused '' Well i must admit that Jinyoung helped her a lot with the preparations ''.

Jaebeom's gaze shifted from the dancers to Mr.Bae, his expression severe '' Mr.Park is a hardworking employee ''. He said '' Though i admit that Suzy did a phenomenal job ''.

Mr.Bae's gaze sought his daughter. She and Jinyoung were dancing together. Their arms were entwined and both were laughing '' It would have been even better if you helped her out like you did in the previous party. I thought you were friends with my daughter ''.

A discomfited expression flashed across Jaebeom's face. Mr.Bae was quick enough to notice, but a moment later,  his features were again unreadable. Despite the lack of feeling in Jaebeom's expression, his eyes betrayed him, as they returned to the dancers. Mr.Bae followed his gaze once more to his daughter.

'' I have been busy with work lately. I'm sure you are aware of the condition of my company ''. 

'' I've heard of the new business deals you've signed lately. Just be a little patient and you're going to see great results soon.''

'' Thank you Mr.Bae.''

Jaebeom's gaze was still on Suzy. Mr.Bae knew without the doubt that the young CEO felt something for his daughter, but what that was, he could only guess. He rose from his seat.

'' I hope you enjoy yourself tonight '' Mr.Bae said, before he went to join his wife.

The lights were dimmed and the center stage was filled with nothing but spotlights. Suzy felt proud of herself. Above all, it was her who worked hard to put everything together.

'' It's beautiful '' A voice behind her whispered, the small resounding click of something hitting the marbled floor accompanied his footsteps. She turned herself to see Jinyoung with a look that was ever so peaceful and welcoming.

'' Jinyoung ! ''  She acknowledged as she watched how his free hand traveled to her own, he tipped his head a bit as a slight blush made its appearance across her cheeks when she felt the softness of his lips on her hand.

'' Don't mind me. I was just giving you a greeting suited for this fairy tale like party '' He said with a slight teasing tone.

'' You seem to forget that this is a fundraiser party and not a fairytale '' She replied without hesitation.

The air around them shifted from heavy to light. Suzy couldn't help but took in how sophisticated yet low-profiled he looked. He looked gentle and regal with his crisp tailored suit that suited him perfectly.

'' You will never be satisfied with my compliments '' A small smiled flashing on his lips '' Will you have another dance with me ? ''.

A pair of eyes watched them as they danced. It caught his attention how close they were. These two seemed to be in a mutual understanding. They got along extremely well.They synced together. Even Jaebeom would admit that they looked perfect together.

And now, the buried emotions he tried to kill inside his system came alive in an instant. As the song ed, the closer they danced with each other, the darker his vision became. Hands now tightly gripping the wine glass he was holding, there was only more to what he can bear.

The moment he witnessed Jinyoung's hands holding her waist as they danced too close with each other was what snapped him out of his dilemma. With no further words said, he silently stood up and moved to go. The stuffy feeling from earlier grew and suffocated him. His chest that was filled in a shade of dark anger.

He hated the fact of how vulnerable he just made himself to be. Of how he was probably wearing his heart on his sleeves.

'' Jaebeom ! '' Not even getting farther away outside the room, he heard her voice from behind. Her footsteps closer, her scent bewitching his senses once more.

'' Wait '' When he halted in the middle of the poorly lit hallway, her footsteps just a few inches away from him. Though he didn't dare to turn. He just stood still, eyes tightly closed and mouth firmly shut.

'' Why are you leaving so early ?. '' She asked softly '' I was waiting for an opportunity to talk to you but i saw you leaving ''.

'' I'm busy. You should have been the one to invite me to the charity ball instead of Mr.Bae if you really wanted to talk '' He tried his best to put a borderline between him and her. He released a huge sigh as he clutched the side of his head '' You shouldn't leave your guests alone. I'm leaving ''.

'' I want to apologize about .. ''

'' You don't have to. It was my fault from the beginning '' Before she could even continue whatever she had to say, he was wise enough to cut her off. And when she didn't say anything else, Jaebeom resumed to walk away, desperate to put distance between him and her. Because this was how things were supposed to be. Because she was not his.

'' Wait - '' A few steps forward and she was able to reach him. She halted him by grabbing his arm.

Jaebeom was desperately holding his breath

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter