Chapter 4

Every memory reminds me of you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Don't forget to leave a comment ^^

Who do you want Suzy to end up with ? Jinyoung or Jaebeom ?

The stars overhead were drowned out by the dazzling lights adorning the city below. The honking of cars horns; the laughter of couples on the streets; the drunken mumblings of bar goers all mixed together into a cacophony of bustling chatter. Everyone was out and about, getting prepared to have a good time with the lively scene that  Seoul provided.

Yet there was one place where such loud noises didn't reach.

In the sanctity of his apartment, the careful turning of pages and Jinyoung's honey-smooth voice filled with silence. The words flowed gently through the living room as he continued to read aloud the book Suzy's gifted him. Everything was quiet and tranquil.

However, her light snores caught his attention and he stopped, peering up curiously from his place. He observed Suzy for a few minutes, taking note of the way her hair splayed over the couch. She looked so peaceful, so serene ... He tried to imagine just what was on her mind as she drifted to dreamland.

The moonlight emanating from the window casted a soft light on her figure, giving her the appearance of an ethereal angel personally sent to him and him alone.

Almost on a whim, Jinyoung brushed aside the hair  that had fallen over her face, leaning down and pressing a soft kiss into her hair. He lingered a little longer than he would have liked to admit, her gentle warmth against his lips was far too inviting after all.

'' Suzy, I ... I think i'm in love with you ''.

The words fell out before he could stop them. But they felt so real, so natural, that he wasn't sure if he wanted to stop them in the first place.

From their first meeting in the library, two years ago, she has been among the first who understood him perfectly. She had laughed alongside him and encouraged him to stay strong during his difficult time. Around her, he could feel his troubles ease with each message that lit up his phone's screen.

He was tempted to press another kiss but he was a gentleman and he had to restrain himself. He his heel, carefully placing the book back on its shelf. casting one last gaze at her form, he smiled before he decided to wake her up. It was getting late and he knew that Suzy wouldn't be happy if he let her spend the night in his apartment.

'' Suzy, wake up '' He said softly as she shook her shoulder lightly.

Suzy shuffled a little under the blanket, as her eyes began to open. The words he said earlier echoed in the back of her mind. A secret that she would have to keep to herself now. 

'' What time is it ? '' She asked as she stretched her arms.

Jinyoung smiled '' Time to go home '' He paused '' I can't believe you had the guts to sleep while i was reading Mrs X's book. You really don't appreciate talent ''.

'' Jinyoung, do you realize that you reread this book to me a lot of times ?.I memorized all the lines ''  She responded, gracing him with a smile of her own.

He looked at her thoughtfully '' Can't you feel the suffering behind her words ?. I think she had a tragic love story. '' He said softly '' It's heartbreaking when she had to take some major decisions for the sake of her freedom and happiness ''.

Her eyes flickered downward briefly before she responded '' Do you think she took the right decisions ? ''.

Jinyoung nodded '' Yes, i think she did. Falling out of love isn't an easy task but when the pain is unbearable it has to be done. '' He smiled fondly '' She's a brave woman. I hope she finds the man that she deserves ''.

She decided to end the topic '' By the way, congratulations on your new business deal ''.

Jinyoung raising his eyebrows '' Suzy, you never told me that you were into business ?. I .. I .. '' He paused '' Forget it ''.

'' What is it ?. Tell me  ? '' She replied softly, when she noticed how uncomfortable he was getting.

'' To be honest, i've been wanting to ask you this question since the last time i saw you at the restaurant '' He took a deep breath '' I saw Mr.Im talking you inside the restaurant but the two of you pretended not to know each other when i introduced you. I can't come up with any reasons for your behaviors no matter how much i think about it 

Suzy listened to him carefully, her face baring a slight hint of discomfort '' Mr. Im and I are acquaintances. I know him through my father who is himself a businessman. He came to greet me when he saw me in the restaurant.'' She smiled.

'' But why didn't you tell me afterwards ? '' Jinyoung asked curiously but at the same time relieved that his suspicions were wrong.

'' We barely know each other, i didn't think it was something special to mention. But i apologize if i make you upset, it was never my intention to do so ''.

Jinyoung smiled '' No i'm not upset. But i see now why you have a lot of knowledge about business. I didn't know your father was a businessman. ''.

'' If you are done with your interrogations now, can you take me home ? '' Suzy chuckled.

'' Your word is law my princess '' 

Jaebeom groaned as he scanned another document, the words blurring together until it reached the signature line. He quickly signed his name and leaned back in his office chair. The chair creaked as he leaned back, his arm covering his tired eyes. Sighing, he pulled out  his phone and looked at the time. It was well past midnight and his screen that was once covered with multiple missed calls from his wife was empty. 

He eyed the little box in front of him. He slowly opened it as he saw the ring he put around her  finger. His hand reached the ring very gently but he squeezed it really hard. His nails were digging into his palms, his knuckles were white as he tried to feel an another pain as he tried to feel a different pain, apart from the one he felt in his heart.

Jaebeom pressed his lips together and hid his eyes with his shaking hand. His face was distorted with pain. His heart broke in a million of pieces when he remembered how coldly she told  him that she was no longer in love with him, the very same person who taught him what love was. He stayed like this for few minutes, when he opened his other hand, he could notice the mark of his nails on his palm. 

He sighed and went back to the documents on the desk. His eyes blinked tiredly. 

Jaebeom, who was mindlessly and utterly indulged in his work, was snapped out  of his trance when there was a gentle knock on his office door.

He spoke with an emotionless voice.

“Come in,” He said, not bothering to glance away from his documents even once.

The door opened to reveal his friend, Mark.

'' Why do you have a home if you're going to spend your entire life confined in this office ? ''.

Jaebeom did not bother to acknowledging him or even spare him a glance, when he replied.

'' I'm busy ” He said, 

'' Jaebeom, enough !. You have barely looked after yourself since the divorce '' Mark raised his voice '' Now that you found Suzy again you're doing even worse.''.

His words had caused Jaebeom's attention to be fully focused on him. Jaebeom blinked, and for moment he felt his own head fall forward in exhaustion, but he quickly shook it off.

'' Mark '' Jaebeom called out '' I didn't ask for your opinion ''.

'' You should try to win her heart back instead of torturing yourself '' 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter