Chap 3

Spider Crack

The MBLAQ, as them together with those in charge of the new group had named, had just finished their video recording and was on their way to shoot for the album jacket.

          Mir was the second to go for his individual photo shoot. But he could not do as best as his other hyungs and Sangbae, their maknae, did. He was awkward and stiff as he strike a few weird poses.

          He gulped loudly when the cameraman let out a harsh breath and scolded him. "That is not right! You need to look chic and cold in the same time y but do you know what you are giving me? Don't you get the theme? Black Vampire! Not baby deer!"

          Mir bowed in apology.

          It was not well accepted as the photographer continued his rant. "Rubbish! I can't use even one photo of yours right now. I could just go out there and took some random pictures of trees and they would still be better than this! Stop wasting my time!"

          Mir bowed down in apology once again, biting his lips when he heard the other members of this newly formed group started to whisper to each other. He couldn't help but think they were insulting him. What else could they talk about while glancing at him ever so often. It would always be the same anywhere.

          "Ugh nevermind. Seungho you go first. Joon, teach that kid how to pose correctly instead of trying to imitate a dying octopus." The cameraman growled and calmed down a bit when Seungho came into the set and strike a pose professionally.

          Mir swallowed his sigh, didn't want to let this discouraged him as he approached Joon who was talking to Sangbae. Joon had already finished his individual photo shoot as he was the one to go first and now was just loitering around, waiting for the group photo shoot. Of course, unlike Mir, Joon actually did so well he got a round of applause from the whole photo shoot crews including the grumpy photographer. After all, Joon had experienced and ability worth flaunting off.

          Joon was about to open his mouth to talk once Mir stopped in front of him when the cameraman talked, or rather shouted just so Mir could hear, "Now that's more like it! Good Seungho, give me more. I need to rinse my eyes from such horrendous session before."

          Mir bit the inside of his cheeks so hard he tasted the metallic blood there but he pretended he couldn't hear those words and turned his focus on Joon.

          "Well, first." Joon spoke, either he was pretending just like Mir or this guy just really don't care, gaining attention from both Mir and Sangbae who had been standing there all the time. "Your eyes need to look cold. Like you don't care about anyone."

          I'm well good on that way. I don't want to care about anything anymore..

          "Yes! Just like that but not so... Angry." Joon commented at the expression Mir had on his face, a look of hatred that Mir didn't even realized he had on his face from his dark thought. "Maybe you can smirked. Like this." Joon let his full lips curved lopsidedly, almost like a fox smile.

          Mir followed the instruction although his smile more on the charismatic side instead of mischief and captured the sight of Sangbae doing the same as him.

          "To make your posture not look awkward, you can play with your jacket." Joon took Mir's jacket and pulled it open slightly. "Hold this." Mir took part of the jacket Joon told  him to grab. "You have quite provocative custom so might as well use it to max. All the while kept that, yes I know I'm y look."

          Mir strike a pose, using all the points Joon had kindly given him although the older did look a little bit annoyed for having to fix a lot on Mir's pose. He pulled Mir's elbow father, kicking Mir's legs so they won't stick too close together while mumbling Mir looked like a freaking soldier and even went to the point of adjusting the angle of Mir's head.

          "Just like that, I guess that can earn a passing mark. You really need to know your angle though. Just act like you're taking selfie." Joon said, huffing out a puff of breath.

          Sangbae whom had been learning as well, smiled kindly to Mir. "I know why it is still not perfect." He interjected, gaining a questioning look from both Mir and Joon. "It's because you are too tense."

          "I guess, I am a bit nervous." Mir whispered shyly, barely heard.

          Sangbae hummed and looked at the set Seungho was totally mastering at while GO was watching quietly as the main vocalist would have his turn after Seungho. He turned back to Mir and winked, grabbing Mir's hand. "Joonie hyung. Cover for us, we will be back in ten."

          Before Joon could react or anything, Sangbae had dashed away, dragging Mir with him. They went out of the studio, their dress shoes clicking against the floor and went towards the emergency stairs.

          Mir felt his energy draining in fast rate as Sangbae pulled him to climb up stairs after stairs until they burst through the door that led them to the roof. Mir shivered as the autumn night breeze greeted him.

          "Let's wind up for a bit." Sangbae grinned, running towards the railing and shouted his heart out. "Try." He told Mir, finally releasing Mir's hand to give a small push on the small of Mir's back.

          Mir nodded, stepping to stand next to Sangbae and inhaled deeply. "YOU NEED TO GET YOUR TOGETHER BANG CHEOLYONG!" He curse-shouted in his Jeollado dialect that seemed to impressed Sangbae who was now laughing next to him.

          "AAAAHHHH! I WANT TO BE POPULAR!"

          Mir looked weirdly at Sangbae, having none of the trainees treated him this way. With this warmth and kindness. Treating him like a friend. Like friends he used to have back in Jangsung. Where had you been all this time?

          "I WANT TO BE ACCEPTED!" Mir continued, with his whole heart, he was wishing that.

          "You're so unique. I like your accent."

          "I miss my accent. I miss my home. My family. My friends." Mir surprised himself as the words simply flowed out of his mouth in front of Sangbae. But something about Sangbae reminded him of his life before all of this. Reminded him of what a friend made you feel.

          "We all are. But I'm sure you long for something more than those things, right?"

          Mir nodded once. "I long for the stage."

          Sangbae punched Mir's arm lightly. "Me too."

          Although all the trainees had the same exact dream as Mir, to stand on stage and perform, this was the first time Mir felt someone actually shared the same dream as him.

          "You reminded me of my friends back home."

          "Well, I am your friend."

          "You are?" Mir asked surprised but touched his lips at his slipped out. "I mean..." He trailed off awkward but lucky enough, Sangbae didn't seem to notice anything.

          "Aren't we all friend?" Sangbae chuckled. His positive vibe gave Mir some sort of comfort.

          "I was hoping so. I'm happy to hear that."

          Although a bit unexpected, Sangbae held Mir's hand in a comforting grip. "We are friend." He stated firmly, at the same time, squeezing Mir's hand in his to emphasize it.

          Mir smiled, looking down at their united hand then back at Sangbae's sincere dark eyes, feeling like he was floating in a dream. He had a friend here? It really does sound like a dream but of course, you have to wake up eventually.

          Just how long could you sleep anyway.

          Reality strike in not too long after that, making Mir think that maybe he was not made to feel happy for a long time.

          Nothing last forever...

 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

 

Mir had been happy today, happier than the last few weeks. He even skipped towards the practice room with two cups of warm coffee in his hands.

          Despite the morning was still too early and half of the population in Seoul most likely still sleeping, Mir had woken up, all energized to start his day despite knowing the tiring practice waiting for him even today and took some of the time to buy some coffees from the small coffee shop just across the company.

          Mir bought two cups of latte. One for him and one for Sangbae.

          His friend.

          At that thought, Mir's smile widened. He liked the fact the he also have a friend here. A really kind and fun one at that. Not to mention very talented. It had been such a great few weeks for Mir with Sangbae constantly by his side, having fun with him, playing games together, working hard together, recording their new debut song together. Sangbae taught him a lot too and Mir had making lesser mistake with Sangbae guiding him like a teacher.

          And Mir decided to thank Sangbae with a warm cup of coffee in this early morning while listening to their debut song and dreaming together the day they would stand on stage. Which was not that far along anymore.

          Each day, it became more exciting. It was even more now that Mir had someone to listen and share that same feeling. Everything else just seemed dull in comparison to those moments Mir spend with Sangbae. He couldn't even be bother about anything else.

          Mir pushed the practice door open with his foot, eyes wandering around the area for Sangbae but there was only Joon there at the corner, doing a sit up alone.

          Mir pouted to himself. Usually Sangbae would be early than the others but maybe he slept in. Mir looked down at the still steaming coffee in his hands. He sighed. The coffee would cool down. It won't be as nice then.

          Mir glanced at Joon and then back to the cup of coffee in his hands. He shivered. Nope. Not Joon. He didn't even dare to talk to the older male, less offering him a cup of coffee.

          So Mir shuffled to the other corner, away from Joon where a couch and a table filled with computer and surrounded by speakers were located at and he put both cups on the table, tossing his backpack onto the couch and started stretching and warming up.

          It was 10 minutes after warming up in silence that GO came into the practice room, glancing at Joon and Mir before heading towards Joon, striking a conversation and another 5 minutes when Seungho arrived with their manager.

          "Guys. Gather here a bit." Their manager called out and Seungho nodded to the others to do as they were told. "I have some news. We will be having a new member in MBLAQ. He had been specifically recruited by Rain and will be joining us tomorrow."

          Mir tilted his head to the side, absorbing the news.

          "So, we are debuting as six-members group?" Joon inquired.

          Before the manager could answer however, GO voiced another question worriedly. "Do we have to reshoot the cover jacket and re-recorded our songs?"

          "Urm, yes we have to reshoot but we will use the recorded song. Sangbae has agree for that."

          "Sangbae knew already?" Mir asked in a small voice with a confused look on his face.

          The manager glanced shortly at Mir with a sympathetic smile. "You will still debut as five-members group."

          Mir felt his heart dropped. Did that mean one of them will be kicked out and replaced by a new guy? Would he be kicked out? After all, he was the least talented members. Would his wings be ripped off before he could even fly?

          "Sangbae retreated due to personal reason."

          This time, Mir felt his heart sink deeper and his wide eyes staring in disbelief at the manager but he couldn't utter the words. Everything was jumbled up in his mind.

          "Why?" Joon asked, just sounded as sad as he looked. Seungho comforted him with a hand on his shoulder.

          "He decided it." Seungho spoke. "We should respect his decision and I hope all of you will treat the new members as well as you did for Sangbae. By the way, he will be joining us-"

          Mir had tuned out after that, turning on his heels and went to the table where two cups of now cooled coffee waiting. He stared at the cup and grabbed both of them with trembling hands. He went to the trash can and threw both away.

          Just like how he was throwing this brewing friendship he thought he had with Sangbae. Sangbae didn't even bother to tell him this huge decision he made? Were they really friends?

          Even friends left.

          No happiness stay with him.

          He should have known.

          No one would want to befriend a freak like him anyway..

          No one...