To the Sun

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun flipped a page of her book that was propped up on her stomach as she lounged back on the plush softness of the couch. Her round glasses slid down the bridge of her nose and she involuntarily raised her hand to adjust the thin frames.

The waning afternoon provided enough light for her to read but she knew she would eventually have to get up from her comfortable position and scurry off to her own room where her roommates would probably be napping. At least, she knew Tzuyu was; Chaeyoung, on the other hand, she had yet to see the entire day.

Glancing up at the clock, she pushed her glasses up to rub her eyelids. She had yet to become accustomed to the shorter days and earlier nights, but did she really spend the entire day reading? But then again, who could blame her; the story had been on her reading list for the past year and she wanted to know why it was heavily recommended to her by many of her colleagues. The only reason she had yet to start was the fact that the thickness of the book was about the same size as her head.  

She heard the familiar creak unique to the door of their room and recognized the person just from the rhythm of their steps. Without needing to raise her head, she called, “Hey, Tzuyu.”

Said person simply yawned and crashed down on top of Dahyun who groaned at the sudden weight. The smaller woman tried to wrestle the body off but the taller one was adamant about collapsing on the couch that Dahyun currently occupied.

Tzuyu, despite their impressive height difference, somehow weaseled her way into a comfortable position without outright shoving Dahyun off to the floor. Wrapping an arm around Dahyun’s waist, Tzuyu finally replied, “Good morning, Dahyun.”

“It’s five o’clock in the afternoon. How long have you been asleep?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I went to bed right after coming back from the bakery. That was about…eight hours ago? I just know I slept passed breakfast and lunch and I’m really hungry.”

Dahyun adjusted her glasses yet again and closed her book. She wasn’t going to be reading much with Tzuyu around. “Don’t let Jihyo hear that you skipped breakfast,” she chuckled. “You can ask your girlfriend to make you something when she comes back from Mrs. Kim’s or better yet you can cook something yourself.”

Tzuyu lifted her hand and raised her index finger. “First of all, she is not my girlfriend nor do I think she likes me like that.” Dahyun couldn’t help but roll her eyes at her friend’s denseness. She raised another finger. “And two, Nayeon and Jeongyeon told me I was banned from the stove for a month after I tried to make tomato soup that one time.”

“I didn’t think they were serious about that though."

"I'm not taking my chances, with the stove or with Jeongyeon."

Dahyun hummed for a second until she scowled, disbelieving the words that left Tzuyu's mouth. "What do you mean by I don't think she likes me like that? Do you have ears? Do you have eyes!?" The comedian slapped Tzuyu using her book, earning an indignant Hey! from the baker. "She's been giving you heart eyes ever since she got here, how could you not see that!"

"But she looks at everyone like that, Dubu. You guys keeps telling me things like that. You, Ms. Kim, Chaeyoung, you keep saying the same thing but I don't see it."

Slapping a hand on her forehead, Dahyun mumbled. "You're not just blind, Tzu, you're something else.You don't even need to see it to know."

"Huh?"

"Tzu, you gotta be honest with me, do you ever notice how much she likes to hold your hand? How much she likes to hug you? Heck, she makes your favorite foods whenever you're stressed from work."

Tzuyu deliberates for a moment, a second, shuffling further into Dahyun's shoulder and wrapping a stray thread around her finger as she thinks. Did she ever? "I—no. Not really."

"Seriously? You're suuuuuuuper dumb."

The baker shot her a glare but Dahyun only shrugged it off. "Wow. Thanks."

Dahyun laughed, "I'm serious! If Chaeng can see and not you, then that's your problem."

"Then how can I see it? If it's so obvious, then I can probably learn if yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter