School Meal Club Origins

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung fanned her face as sweat dribbled down her cheek. Clad in gym shorts and a thin tank top, she cursed both the severe weather and whoever forgot to pay for the electrical bill for their suffering. On the other side of the room, Tzuyu remained untouch in a fetal position after she was discharged from the hospital, occasionally groaning about her stomach or the heat and sometimes both. And Dahyun? She was on the floor of their room claiming that it was the only spot that didn't feel like she was being cooked when she touched it.

"Hey, Chae. Do you remember how we met?"

At the sound of her name, Chaeyoung raised her head up to peer down at Dahyun. "Didn't you challenge me to a duel to the death?"

"It wasn't much of a duel to the death if you two are still alive," Tzuyu weakly said as she shifted to be part of the conversation despite the pain in her stomach. "What did you guys use to fight? Sticks?"

"We used Jeongyeon's wooden swords, so we pretty much used sticks." Chaeyoung hummed. "I don't think we've told you this story, huh?"

"No, but I want to hear it. It already sounds wild."

Upon her request, Dahyun sat up and stretched her arms for story-telling purposes. "Well buckle up, buttercup, because this story is a fun ride."

"Did you just call me buttercu—"

"So! It all started when I was in my second year of high school and Chaeyoung was a freshie..."

 

Dahyun skipped down the hallways of the school, waving and smiling at everyone she passed, as she made her way to the dining hall for lunch.

You see, Kim Dahyun was a very popular girl. Everyone in the school either knew her for her bright personality or from the many infamous stories about her that more or less got convoluted each time they were recounted. She was sure that a good fifty percent of the student population thought she was a vampire because of her extremely pale skin that earned her the nickname of 'Dubu.' Dahyun never bothered to correct anyone though; all of the rumors made her out to be really cool and mysterious—a far cry from her joking and fun personality.

 

Tzuyu snapped her fingers in realization. "So that's why!"

"'That's why' what?" Dahyun halted and looked at the youngest member of the club.

"Before I met you, I used to always here girls whisper things like 'I want Dahyun to eat me' or something along those lines. They must've thought you were a vampire and wanted to their blood!" Chaeyoung tried to smother her laughter behind her hand at her explaination, while Dahyun's cheeks steadily painted a deep crimson. Their friend was simply too innocent for her own good.

Oh honey, you've got a big storm coming....

"I'm sure their blood wasn't the only thing they wanted her to ," Chaeyoung wheezed.

"Shut up, Chaeyoung!" Grabbing her slipper to throw it at the still laughing cub, Dahyun awkwardly cleared . "I told you I was popular... But anyway, back to the story!!"

 

Where was she? Yeah Kim Dahyun was undeniably popular and amazing blah blah blah. They already knew that. Oh yes, now she remembered! So, there Dahyun was, behind the doors of the dining hall to get her sole reason for going to high school. It was practically seducing her with its flavor and glorious plastic wrapping. Her true love was calling for her, singing her name.

The most amazing chocolate pudding she had ever tasted waited for her behind those doors and she was determined to not keep it waiting.

She pushed them open and the doors swung like WOOOOSHH. It was super dramatic and added to the flair of the moment. Dahyun flipped her hair and tried to eye the snack bar above the mass of student bodies that walled her off from the beauty that was so close, yet so far. She weaved through the crowd expertly, only tripping once because of a stray noodle on the floor, but she made it to the front and used her eagle eyes to detect the prey that she was looking for.

Lo and behold, there it was: the coveted prized pudding, just there for the taking. But there was another contender there too, her arms outstretched as their fingers lightly hovered over the plastic surface. This other person was small, shabby-looking, and was clearly an art student with how she oozed a certain aesthetic that screamed HIPSTER. The stereotypical beret helped classify her too.

'This shortie was going down if she took that last cup.' Dahyun thought as she squeezed her way through the faceless people she could never remember. She gasped loudly when the shortstack took hold of the cup and started to walk off.

With as much effort as Jesus-sunbaenim can give her, she pulled herself away from the crowd and dashed off to where the girl stood, her lips as she opened the cover.

 

"What you're telling me is that you two had a duel to the death for a simple pudding cup?"

"Tzuyu, you don't like pudding, so you don't understand. But to me, it was as if I someone stole the love of my life from right under my nose and I had to get her back to restore my honor!"

Chaeyoung, having stopped giggling, added her own experience. "That was the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter