Suits and Dresses Part 2

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung awkwardly shuffled on her seat while a team of fashion ready women fussed over her appearance, brushing a stray hair here, adding some blush there, and styling her otherwise unruly hair to luscious waves that curled lazily at her shoulder. While she prided herself for being clean and presentable when she wanted to be—when she wasn't covered in paint, at least—the constant movement happening around her and the protests from her stiff neck was one caveat she thought she wouldn't have had to deal with in her simple, peasant lifestyle. Her head unconsciously started to tilt to one side and was righted again by one of the make-up artists.

"Hold still, we're almost done," they said for the twentieth time that day. Chaeyoung didn't know if it was because she moved too much or if they were planning to cake her face with all of the appliances that appeared on the table.

To her demise, she felt an itch on the tip of her nose, but any signs of movement were prevented by the firm hand locked on her shoulder. Curse her body and its bad timing!

By the time she was released from the nagging women that told her not to touch her face, the itch was already gone but the urge to pick at something to last the time heightened even further. Her fingers twitched unpleasantly and she scrunched her face up at the sensation of having a fine coat of powder—expensive powder, Chaeyoung would like to add—layered on her fair cheeks. They hadn't given her a mirror to see what she looked like too!

She pouted at the corner where the comfortable couches were while she waited for everyone else to finish with their own makeovers. Chaeyoung had a sneaking suspicion that the make-up artists wanted to get her over with as soon as possible. Dipping her feet out of the heels she was instructed to wear, she hunched forward in defeat, something that should have been considered a crime considering the amount of money she was currently showing off, and sighed deeply.  

"A pretty bride shouldn't look so sad." 

Chaeyoung looked up to see kind eyes staring at her. The two had yet to be introduced but Chaeyoung assumed that she was one of SinB's assistance since she had a camera slung over her neck in ernest. The short bride continued to stare blankly, too awkward to say anything back.

"What's on your mind, Ms. Model?" The assistant chuckled. A hand stuck out, startling the Chaeyoung. "I'm Choi Yuna by the way, but just call me Yuju."

Regaining her voice, Chaeyoung squeaked out a reply, "I'm Son Chaeyoung!" Catching how high pitched her voice was, the artist cleared   in embarrasment. "It's nice to meet you, Yuju."

The other woman nodded her head, her eyes casted into crescent moons full of laughter while she attempted to repress the wide grin threatening to spread on her face. Turning on her heel, she ungracefully plopped right next to the clueless bride, but she was careful to handle the camera on her lap with utmost gentleness.

The stiffness she hadn't noticed on her shoulders eased at Yuju's relaxed attitude. "So what's up?"

"Nothing much. You seemed bored so I wanted to stop by, introduce myself, and check if you're doing okay. We wouldn't want to stress out our pretty model, if you know what I mean. I don't have much to do anyway. I have behind the scenes duty today, so I'm not stressing out like everyone else." She lifted the camera slightly to show the interested artist.

Although Chaeyoung leaned towards traditional media of art, she held some affection towards photography stemming from her being in a photography class back when she attended university. Her cat-like eyes examined every detail of the camera she had the fortune of being shown; it wasn't everday that she had the opportunity to see equipment as expensive as this, especially for a local starving artist, so she wrote down a mental note to research the model and company type when she returned home.

And while Chaeyoung looked at the camera with awe, Yuju had the same look towards the bride in front of her.

"So, you're telling me that your job today is to take pictures of everyone doing their jobs? That's pretty cool."

"Yeah, but we mostly photograph the models. SinB has a scrapbook filled to the brim with behind the scenes pictures of all the models and people she ever worked with. She says it's to appreciate the models, but between you and me," Yuju cupped her hand and whisper into Chaeyoung's ear, "I think she just likes to show it off."

Chaeyoung smiled, showing off her deep dimples. "Really?"

"Absolutely, but you didn't hear it from me. I might get stuck permanently with lifting clothes if she ever finds out."

"Okay, I won't say a word. But shouldn't you be—y'know—taking pictures then?"

Yuju shrugged her shoulders. "I'm supposed to be. But I saw a sad looking bride that needed cheering up, so I think that's worth not doing my job, don't you think?"

The small artist laughed at how casual Yuju was being, shrugging off the compliments nonchalantly. "How do you know it was you that cheered me up and not something else?"

"Like what?"

"I could be laughing at a funny joke that I just thought of."

The assistant pursued her lips at Chaeyoung's teasing and squinted her eyes at the absolute glee that shined from her eyes. "I know I cheered you up, because," a finger poked Chaeyoung's left cheek gently, "your cute littles dimples appeared when I was talking to you."

"You got me there," Chaeyoung chuckled, once again showing her charming dimples.

Yuju sat, admiring the bride's face, when a brilliant idea came up. "Hey, you're not doing anything, right?"

"Yeah? Why—"

Yuju lifted the strap from her neck and placed it around Chaeyoung's, handing the camera to foreign hands. It was a rule to always keep the camera safe and away from people that would stupidly use it, but Yuju presumed that this was an exception since her job was going to be done in the process. "How about you take the pictures today, Chaeyoung. SinB told me that you're friends with the other models so I think they'd be more comfortable if you were the one taking their pictures instead of a random stranger like me. Have you ever used a camera like this?"

Chaeyoung's hands repositioned themselves constantly to get hold the precious weight in her hands. "I've handled a camera, sure, but nothing like this—"

"Don't worry, aside from all the fancy numbers and letters, it's the same as handling any other camera. Just stay cool and push that button whenever you want to take a picture, and then you're pretty much set for the job. I'll be at the back to organize the flowers, so I'll be back. Yell if you need anything." And with that Yuju waved a final goodbye and left before Chaeyoung could complete a coherent sentence of protest.

It's the same as handling any other camera, the little artist exhaled a breath.before standing up and stepping into her uncomfortable heels again. She clicked with each step—Chaeyoung had to admit that it felt somewhat empowering—and the noise caused people to look at her as if it wasn't embarrasing enough to be prancing around a warehouse with a wedding gown of all things. The makeup artists that were responsible for her face moved onto their next target: an unconscious Dahyun.

She snickered wickedly and proceeded to take a multitude of pictures of Dahyun from a multitude of angles; she was careful to also include the makeup artists attempting to hold her forehead up so she didn't slouch as well as the drool that threatened to dribble down the corner of . She patted Dahyun's head softly and skipped on her merry way to her next victim: her favorite No-Jam other than herself, Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon's pictures were blurry because she used her ridiculous long limbs to block her face everytime the lens shuttered. There was one picture where she did succeed, though; when Chaeyoung said one lame—Jeongyeon's words, which were not true at all—and the older started laughing uncontrollably. Her face contorted naturally into a smile that could rival the brilliance of the sun and Chaeyoung was happy that that picture was the one that was the most clear. It truly conveyed Jeongyeon's beauty even when she was barefaced and laughing out loud. She had to leave in a rush when Jeongyeon threatened to throw her heel at her if she didn't delete the picture.

Next was Nayeon, arguably the one most comfortable in front of a camera. At the sight of the lens, she struck a pose confidently, startling the makeup artist in the middle of drawing in her eyebrows. Her confidence in herself, with half-drawn eyebrows and incomplete blush, was truly astounding. She was indeed a modern day Narcissus except without all the drowning and creepy connotations. With her bunny teeth in full show, her charm was at full force; anyone could fall in love with her if they took the second to appreciate the duality that was Im Nayeon. She waved good-bye at the eldest and walked off to where Sana and Momo were.

While everyone was else were isolated from themselves, Sana and Momo were side by side playing and joking about how silly the other looked in the midst of their makeover. The makeup artists had to move them closer because they kept teasing eachother from across the room, so it was better to keep them close and occupied. Now that they were side-by-side, Chaeyoung could see how people could mistake them to be twins. The two exuded the same aura, smiled the same smile, and had almost the same haircut—Sana's hair was just a tad bit longer. The artists assumed that their similarities proved how long they've been friends, and she couldn't help but wonder if she unconsciously adopted any traits from the other members of the guest house. At the sight of the camera, they struck various poses, made faces at each other, and posed with the patient stylists who were in the middle of brushing their hair. As a duo, Momo and Sana were chao; fun chaos, sure, but they still hectic. She said her farewells and caught the flying kiss that Sana asked her to send to Tzuyu.

Her tall, same-age friend was in the middle of dozing off on the chair like Dahyun but her impeccable posture still remained in tact despite the heaviness pulling her eyelids down. Chaeyoung crouched down to sneak a few pictures of the sleepy Tzuyu, but the loud shutter blinked back the sleep from her eyes. She looked at her friend in question and Chaeyoung had to explain her mission to her with mild difficulty. The artist asked her tall friend to stretch her neck her and tilt her head there to get the optimum angles that would showcase Tzuyu's effortless beauty. A frustrating fact about the tall Taiwanese baker was that she had no clue about her angles. No clue at all! If she didn't have goddess-like visuals, almost all the pictures that Tzuyu takes would look akin to mugshots. Chaeyoung needed to school her about the importance of getting and knowing her angles. In addition, the makeup artist and the stylist were fawning over, asking her where she was from and if she was a model in disguise. The artist took a picture of their hilarious reaction when Tzuyu answered that she was a simple baker and not some high-class lady that they assumed her to be. She walked away so the professionals could finish their jobs, not forgetting to land the flying kiss square on Tzuyu's cheek, much to the taller one's exasperation. The little tiger pouted, catching no sight of Jihyo, but did find a lost Mina sitting stock still in her seat.

Mina's gaze, a glare more like considering how heated it was, was aimed straight ahead, and Chaeyoung had to wonder what that poor wall did to deserve the ire from someone as sweet as Mina. But then again, Mina does have a habit of looking unapproachable when she stares off into space, she surmised. It looked as if she was done with her makeup too. She tiptoed lightly, making sure that her heels didn't click loudly on the floor, as she approached the luxurious woman wearing a handsome looking suit. The artist held her breath as she leaned forward to take a picture, index finger ready to button. Steady...Steady!

The Japanese woman suddenly turned her head, causing the picture that Chaeyoung took to appear blurry and unfocused.

The artist huffed, cross that the beautiful image was ruined. "Mina," she whined like a child. "You weren't supposed to move."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were taking a picture of me, Chaengie. I thought you were a random creeper with a camera." A gummy smile appeared to show her sincerity. The urge to take another picture, a picture of that particular smile, overtook Chaeyoung and she captured the image perfectly, much to Mina's bewilderment.

"I couldn't help myself! You looked nice."

A fine eyebrow rose as her eyes looked at Chaeyoung from her head to her toes and the sight in between. "Shouldn't I be the one taking pictures of you? You look wonderful, Chaeyoung, you really do. Wow..." She breathlessly sighed, content to watch the beauty in front of her. Chaeyoung gave a little t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter