New Additions and Bad Math

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun twiddled her thumbs as she sat in front of two beautiful looking women cooking vegetables. When she met new people, she made it a point to never show her awkward side and instead opted to do something stupid or tell a funny joke to break the ice, but the sudden display of affection prompted to her hide inside her shy shell. That, and the sheer gay panic she was experiencing after seeing two very attractive women cooking food. Ever since they, 3Mix, bought the guest, only Jeongyeon and Jihyo bothered to use the kitchen to actually cook actual food, and even then it was only simple concoctions, while the rest of them settled with take-out to eat every other night. And because of this, watching the woman with the longer hair of the two use the spices they kept to fill the cabinets expertly saute the ingredients they bought impressed Dahyun more than that one time Chaeyoung challenged Yeri to a rap battle during high school.

"How's dinner coming along, Sana?" Nayeon asked, leaning on the kitchen table. She wanted to check up on all of the rooms of the house to see if they were presentable. She also told Jeongyeon and Jihyo to set up the grill on the rooftop so they can start grilling meat.

"The vegetables are basically done." Sana, the one with longer hair Dahyun noted, stated matter-of-factly. "Momo and I are still waiting for the meat to marinate but it should be ready by the time the guests arrive." Her friend, Momo, was "sampling" the vegetables while Sana wasn't looking.

"Gotcha." Nayeon nodded her head at the two for their hardwork and checked her phone for messages. She punched her friend's number and waited to ask where their bus were. While the phone rung, Nayeon saw Dahyun blank and lost. "Dahyunnie, these are Momo and Sana. They'll be our new cooks until—Oh, hello? Hello?" Nayeon sprinted to the door so she could hear her friend more clearly on the other line, leaving Dahyun alone with the new workers. 

New cooks? Hell yeah, this beats ordering fried chicken five times a week.

"Technically, I'm the new cook and Momo's my official taste tester." Sana spoke up with chopsticks in hand and waved at the confused Dahyun. "Mina asked Nayeon for a favor and when I told them that I'm a cook, she let us stay here on the condition that we help out around the house too." She picked up the glass bottle of oregano. It was full. "And from looking at your spices, I'd say that you guys don't cook often, huh?" She giggled the last part and Dahyun laughed back.

"Yeah...We don't cook unless we want to pay for a new guest house. Everything we ever cooked were either charred to a crisp or not cooked at all." She shrugged sheepishly. "We got by eating take-out this long."

The other woman that had been munching on the sauted vegetables, advanced towards Dahyun with a spoon in hand. "Ne, Dahyunnie! Try this."

Dahyun met Momo's expectant visage and she didn't have the heart to reject the girl looking at her with twinkling chocolate eyes. She opened and expected to be bombarded with the disgusting taste of vegetables, but she pleasantly chewed on an enjoyable jumble of flavors that left her desiring for another bite. Momo watched her face intently, studying the transition of Dahyun's expressions from anticipating to surprised to satisfied. She smiled as Dahyun smiled, and she flashed a good job to Sana.

"How was it?" Sana asked as she tried to hide her smug grin behind her hand. She knew she was a good cook but she liked to flaunt it directly.

"What the heck, that was amazing! That was like some Ratatouille thing going on, what did you use to make it taste like heaven?!"

"Mostly trial and error. I had to somehow force this one," she elbowed Momo's side which earned a pout from the dancer, "to eat vegetables, so she and I worked on trying different recipes and eventually we got it right."

"You're lucky you didn't try the first attempts." Momo shivered and swallowed the bitter taste of the memory. "Disgusting."

"Good to know," Dahyun chuckled. "If everything you make tastes like this, on behalf of everyone with working taste buds,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter