Going Home

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung frantically grabbed her phone from her pockets of her jeans, as she ran down the streets of Seoul.  Her head turned left to right, jumping through the crowd to catch a glimpse of familiar black hair and beautiful face, but none of the strangers held the features she searched for as they passed her by.

Run. Run. Run. Down the street.

None of her calls ever went through. Straight to voicemail. She called again, expecting different results from the fifty previous calls.

Call. Call. Call. Insanity was doing the same thing over and over again.

She felt her body go against her. She ached down from the muscles of her legs to the pulsing of her head, and she lost track of how long she'd been running. Finding Mina was her main priority and Chaeyoung could not let a minute go to waste.

She blamed herself for losing her. This would never have happened if she slowed the hell down. Now they she lost a damn person and she paid the price. The yelling she received from Jihyo didn't compare to how her chest felt at the moment when the evil thought invaded her mind. Her ovverractive imagination, that had once been her companion, became her worst enemy. The beats of her heart were erratic and she felt her breath shorten, as one particular idea whispered in her ear.

She could've been kidnapped. Her breath hitched at the back of , but she composed herself. Or worse...

It's your fault. She took one deep breath in.

It's your fault. She took one deep breath out.

Your fault. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Keep running, she thought as she shook her head. There's no time to get a panic attack, Chaeng. Keep going and you'll find her.

Dahyun, on the other hand, was faring as well as well as her friend. She had stopped every stranger and described Mina's face to them to the best of her ability, however all the answers were the same. I'm sorry, she recounted bitterly the words every stranger said to her like a fine script, I haven't seen anyone like that.

Well if you're so sorry, why don't you help me, she mentally growled. The scowl marred her pale face. She tightened her jaw and grinded her teeth. The bun that held her hair in place looked like a bird's nest after she kept clutching it in frustration with each rejection.

At least her eyes stopped tearing up.

With each minute that ticked by, a minute passed that Mina wasn't found and a minute passed that Dahyun continued hating herself for not listening. In truth, she saw Mina's mouth move, but she was too lazy to ask her to repeat it louder for her to understand. She wanted to catch up to Chaeyoung and she assumed that she had followed along.

Next time. Damn it, next time she'll listen. If she had the chance again, she'll listen to Mina read everything on a CVS receipt.

She rerouted herself to go back to the store. Maybe she was caught up by someone telling her to buy products and she was too polite to turn it down? It wouldn't hurt to check anyways. She checked twice already, so a third time wouldn't hurt, right? Right?

The sun was going down, bathing the concrete city of Seoul in its warm hue. The golden hour of the day would've been beautiful if it was another day, but there she was walking down the street and calling for Mina like a lost cat. "Mina!!" she yelled while she ignored the disturbed passers-by. "Mina, where are you!!"

"Dahyun!"

Hearing a response, she looked to the source of the voice and saw a sweaty Chaeyoung running towards her. Chaeyoung breathed heavily before she uttered a greeting to an attentive Dahyun. "Did you," she panted, "find anything?"

Dahyun shook her head and looked at the girl at the brink of collapsing. Chaeyoung looked ragged and Dahyun noted how she swayed when she stood on her feet. Chaeyoung, you shouldn't be running anymore, she scowled. She gripped her friend's arms and looked at her straight in the eyes, "Chaeyoung, you have to go home. You're going to faint if you keep running around like this and we'll have two people to worry about if that happens. Rest a little and go back. Let me handle this, okay?"

The stubborn kid shoved Dahyun's arms off of her. "I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me when Mina's the one lost and alone." Her face looked pained, her breathing grew more shallow. Dahyun put one of her arms around her waist and tugged Chaeyoung's arms around her shoulder. Still, she protested weakly, "No, seriously I'm okay. Let me go, Dahyun. We have to keep looking."

"We're going home, Chaeyoung." The sternness of her tone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter