Picking Up Strays

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina knew she should've spoken a little louder when she told Dahyun to wait for her. She wanted to buy extra strawberries for Mrs. Kim, but she found no blonde girl in sight when she walked back out of the suddenly busy market. She sighed and started to weave through the crowd as best as she can with the bags she held securely in her arms. She needed to catch up to Chaeyoung and Dahyun before they notice she went missing.

Without watching where she was going, a sudden jolt on her shoulder forced her to lose her balance and the bags were sprawled in a heap on the sidewalk. Luckily, none of the bags held any fragile items, but the fall left her staggered and dazed. She sat up and frantically picked up the fallen vegetables that tumbled out of the bag, apologizing profusely. The body face first on the floor didn't bother getting up, but Mina heard faint muttering coming from the woman's mouth.  "I'm so sorry for hitting you, miss! Are you okay?" Hesitantly poking the immobile body, she saw that the woman had short black hair, like Mina's own hairstyle, and was wearing a black tracksuit with pink stripes at the side. Mina leaned closer to hear what the woman was saying. She was surprised to understand what she was saying because the woman in question was not at all speaking Korean.

"I'm so hungry..." the woman said quietly in Japanese, Mina's native language.

Mina deduced that she was a foreigner as well and felt a kinship with the other woman. It was partially her fault that she was on the cold floor, so she might as well help the poor girl out. She switched languages and asked, "Miss, are you okay?"

A lowd growl answered for her. It was her stomach. The woman lifted her head up and peered at Mina with watery eyes; the woman was in near tears. "I'm so hungry..." she mewled.

Mina turned her head side to side, looking for anything selling food. It was about lunch time, so there must be food stands around the streets of Seoul. She couldn't search on her phone because it died when she was still in the market.

A stranger passed by holding a cup of tteokbokki and she stopped them to ask where they got it. They looked at the body at her feet and shakily told her directions to the food stand a street away from where they were. She thanked them despite the hurry they were in to get away from her.

She poked the body again, but there was still no response. "Do you want tteokbokki? I'll treat you to some if you come with me." The bags were growing heavier by the second, but the once dead body resurrected at the mention of food.

"Really?" The sparkle in her eyes appeared. She must've been really hungry, Mina thought.

"Really, I promise." Mina placed the bags in her hand on the floor and offered it to the track suit wearing stranger. "Come on. It will get cold waiting for us." The strange woman took Mina's hand and pulled herself up. She wiped her eyes with her sleave.

"Thank you," she hiccupped.

Mina grabbed onto the bags on the floor and walked alongside the other girl, trying to spy the food stand. "Do you have a name?"  she asked.

The woman nodded her head, still teary eyed. "Momo. What's yours?"

"Mina," she returned softly.

After a few more strides in calm silence, Momo spotted the food truck first and excitedly pulled her along. For someone that was dead just a second ago, she sure had a lot of energy. Mina ordered two tteokbokkis for both herself and her new acquaintance, taking a seat on one of the seats of the stand. All of the carrying tired out her arms and she needed a quick rest before she walked to the house. Momo sat on the seat next to her.

"I am sorry for bumping into you, Momo. I should have looked at where I was going when I was walking. Are you okay now?"

Chewing on the soft rice cakes happily, Momo replied,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter