Late Night Chats (Michaeng)

Welcome to Waikiki
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina became accustomed to the sounds of the guest house at night. From the dripping of the faucet to the buzzing of the refrigerator, none of the sounds frightened her after all the hours of insomnia-induced nights she spent in the same exact kitchen in the same exact spot.

The steam from her black coffee warmed her face as she looked through the unread messages on her phone. Most of them were from her brother, Kai, asking her where she was and how she was doing and the occasional comment on how he was doing with his life. He also sent pictures of Ray so that she would stop pestering him about how lonely her dog must be.

He was the only one that Mina regularly communicated with in her family and the only one that knew where Mina was current location was in case of emergency. Since Kai had a closer relationship with Mina than with their parents, she knew he wouldn't spill her secret regardless of what their father would say. She was happy to have an older brother like him.

She jumped as the lock of the door clicked.  A loud yawn echoed through the house; Mina relaxed before she could move to get the pan on the counter and insite another clown situation. That loud a yawn could only come from the smallest member of the house just returning from work.

Chaeyoung rubbed her eyes as she walked inside the kitchen, spotting the Japanese beauty in her adorable penguin pajamas. She blinked to make sure what she was seeing was real. "Mina? You're up?"

Mina smiled and patted the spot next to her―Chaeyoung's signature place in the kitchen table. "I couldn't sleep."

She leaned over the elegant woman's shoulder to spy what she was drinking and scrunched her nose at the discovery. "Well, no wonder. You're drinking coffee. You're crazy if you think drinking that'll help you." Call it childish, but the little tiger never had the taste palate for the bitter beverage. It was too strong and made her jittery from just one sip. Just the thought made her cringe. Absolutely disgusting.

Shrugging her shoulders, Mina sighed, "Call me crazy then, but I always drink it around this time." Wrapped around the cup's neck, Mina moved it to her lips before she was stopped by slender fingers on her hand.

Mina looked up with a twinkle in her eyes and edge in her smile. Chaeyoung decided that this was the most annoyed Mina had been since she'd met her, and it amused Chaeyoung endlessly that the calm and collected Myoui Mina could have a dangerous side when it came to coffee.

She raised her index finger. "If you sit tight for a minute, I'm gonna make hot chocolate for the two of us."

"But I already have my own drink right here." Mina raised her cup in defiance but it was snatched up by the tired girl.

Chaeyoung stepped around the table, carefully steadying her hand as to not spill it on the floor, and stood in front of the sink. "Oh no, Mina. I don't feel so good," Her hands shook, spilling the contents and earning a bored look from Mina. Chaeyoung garneshed her performance with a hand on her forehead to feign fatigue, years of living with Nayeon taught her how to be dramatic, and then dropped the cup with a quiet thud. She shrugged her shoulders, "Guess you don't now."

"Rude." Mina pursued her lips in a pout. It took her twenty minute to make that and there it went, literally down the drain.

"Sorry. I'll make you as much coffee as you want in the morning, but right now you," Chaeyoung leaned over the table to poke the sullen woman's nose with her finger, "need to go to sleep."

Mina squinted her eyes cutely at the touch and smiled, a full-blown gummy smile, at the younger girl, causing her heart to thump faster. Mina tilted her head questioningly and glanced up, "I'm not a kid, Son Chaeyoung."

"There's nothing wrong with being a kid, Myoui Mina," She spun on her heel and grabbed two mugs. "Compared to children, adults are soooo boring. Do this, do that. Taxes." If she was facing her, Mina knew Chaeyoung was sticking her tongue out in revulsion. The carton of milk was removed from the fridge and she poured it into the two cups. "Kids get to enjoy the simple things, like staying inside when it rains and watch movies all day or playing outside in the summer with friends. They know what it means to be happy." The cups were then placed in the microwave to heat up while Chayoung spun back to meet Mina's ocean-like eyes. "They also know how to enjoy a cup of hot chocolate when it's way past their bed time."

Mina let out a small giggle, taking delight of the small things she catches about 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter