The Duet

Mr Angry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 It was the day before new years. In two months, all of this would be over and she would be back at high school. PRobably the oldest student in her class.

At four in the morning, Jennie's door slammed open and Maid Wang Fu came scurrying into the room. Turning the lights on at rapid speed and rushing into the bathroom to switch on the shower.

Jennie moaned, half asleep, and tossed over. 

Maid Wang fu leaped at the bed and threw back the covers to expose Jennie Minnie mouse pajama's. "Your father told me to wake you up! Baekhyun is arriving in one hour for new years day! Your father expects the whole house to be  prepared for the party tonight!"

Jennie's eyes shot open, "What? Another party?!"

She suddenly remembered that she and Kyungsoo promised her father that they would sing for his party on new years. 

"yes!" screeched the maid, "Jsut for the day! So get ready Jennie! Oh my goodness! They're going to throw a buisness party here! Tonight!"

 Jennie scattered off  the bed and hurried for the shower, slamming the door shut. A beautiful long rich red gown hung over the rail above the jacuzzi.  THis was crazy, and yet, this was life as a rich daughter.

Five minutes later, she was out the shower and seated behind her mirror. Maid Wu frantically running the blow dryer down her black and pink locks. "Oh my goodness!" panicked the maid, "Why isn't your mother here!"

 After curling every one of Jennie's locks and clipping her hair into a beautifully elegant nest atop her head, Maid Wang Fu tied a traditional black ribbon around Jennie's head, loosened some curls, and the look was almost complete with a glits of spray.

"Do your make-up ma'am. But no pink lipstick. Today, you will wear strawberry red lipstick, golden eye shasows and sharpen your brows."

"What about you?" asked Jennie, "You're not gonna wear your maid suit, are you? You should dress up too! It's new years tonight!"

The maid shook her head without hesitation, "Every public holiday means nothing to me. servants don't get a day off."

"But you should!" snapped Jennie, twisting around on her seat, "It's not fair!"

"You just worry about yourself! Baekhyun is coming!"

Jennie froze. Maid Wang fu sped back into Jennie's closet and returned holding a pair of glossy glass red heels. SHe dropped them at Jennie's feet then whipped out of the room. Jennie listened as she yelled Kyungsoo's name down the hallway: Master Kyungsoo! Why ain't you in a suit?

The following hour passed rather slowly for Jennie, giving her time to  rehearse lines in the mirror:

"H-Hi Baekhyun! It's me Jennie? Hahaha."

She frowned and fluttered her lashes,

"Hello Baekhyun. H-How has America been for you? You've been studying English? Right? Have you made lots of friends?"

She clenched her fists, growing tired of her self doubt, "Hello Baekhyun. I've missed you..s-so much. I wonder why you hung up on me the other week?"

There came the sound of her door opening. She didn't look away from the mirror, determined not to let anything distract her.

"Hello Baekhyun. I've missed you so much. You look so handsome. I l-love you!"

She leaned forward and pretended to hug an invisible figure in front of her. There came a raspy chuckle.

Her body jolted and she turned— in shock—to see Baekyun: Standing with his hands in his pockets. His black winged, hooded eyes glistening under a carefully trimmed fringe shaped around his elf-like face. 

Jennie flashed back to the mirror, body burning with embarrassment, "Baekhyun!"

He approached her four-post bed, swung off his jacket, then fell back on her silky red covers. 

"Ahh.." he breathed chest rising and falling slowly. "I am so jet-lagged Jennie."

 

Jennei blinked and tried with great failure to smile at him. Her skin thicker than usual. She had been eating too much bread lately. 

"B-Baekhyun, I- I-"

She wanted to tell him how great it was to see him, but the words seemed stuck in . 

"Hows l-life?" she asked, cursing her twisted tongue for speaking such poison.

"As miserable as ever in the USA," said Baekhyun, "But, I'm well respected for my craft there."

He grinned, widening his legs across the mattress and blinking up at the bedpost ceiling.

"I missed this room," he said in a quiet voice. 

"Why?" asked Jennie, rising  to approach him, "Because it's so pretty?"

"No," he said, blinking up at her red-dressed figure, "Because of your television," he said, nodding toward it. "You never even watch that, you should just give it me," he teased. 

She stopped at the foot of the bed, "If you want anything then you can always ask me. You know that, right?"

"I wouldn't dare.."

"So unlike Lisa."

"Have you been studying hard Jennie?" he asked, closing his eyes and breathing deeply. "Spending alot of time with Kyungsoo?"

Color flooded Jennie's cheeks.

"You're quite happy with him, ain't you? Kyungsoo told me.."

Jennie itched her ear and leaned on one leg. WHat was he talking about?

He stretched his slender arms under his pale neck and yawned, "Jennie?"

"What?" she asked, her voice surprisingly sharp.

"I'm right here," he said, blinking up at her. He spoke in such a serious tone that her entire body tightened,  "And I'm going to be in the country for one day."

Jennie cleared , "Baekhyun, there's something I need to tell you."

There was a long silence between and she patted her strawberry lips with her fingers. Her blood boiling with a terrifying fear that he would not like what he heard. He would shun her out.  She could almost feel the words leaving his mouth before he even said them: I'm sorry Jennie, but I don't see you like that.

 

She swallowed, "I-I'm an n-nineteen-year-old girl..."

Baekhyun pulled himself up, staring at her.

"And for more than half my life, I have been obsessed with you. I want you to be in love with me."

He took a deep breathe, "Don't lie to me," he said coldly. "Don't lie to me just like you did in your diary. It's his attention you want, not mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter