THE NEW FACE

Mr Angry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The spahouse puffed with salty steam. Kyungsoo slid onto his back, feet turned upwards. His back and hair soothing in the soapy sensation of bubbles.

He stared up at the high ceiling, where fans up steam and blew it into pipes.

 

The daily newspaper lay, crinkled up in a pile of clothes nearby.

 

Ring! Ring! Ring!

 

He groaned then wobbled himself into a sitting position and reached out for the phone.

 

His eyes sterned on the name of the caller:

“Baekhyuns second phone.”

 

He hesitated before answering:

 

Baekhyuns voice came quickly.

“Kyungsoo! This is Baekhyun!”

Kyungsoo responded in a nonchalant tone.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why are you—I mean—what did you—I mean, y-you love J-Jennie? I s-saw the...ugh...I saw it! I saw it! And her father d-doesn't seem so happy. U-Um, hahaha!”

 

Kyungsoo tensed up, his fingers barely holding onto the phone covered in steam.

Kyungsoo waited some sort of jealous reaction. Something more serious than whatever Baekhyun was doing right now. He knew Jennie's father would angry, but wanted more than that.

 

“So, she's decided to model?" asked Baekhyun.

“No. Monkey isn’t modelling officially.”

 

There was a moments silence. Only the sound of Baekhyuns heavy berathing and Kyungsoo’s legs moving through the water.

 

“Are you with her?” asked Baekhyun, his voice weak.

 

Kyungsoo paused, confused that Baekhyun wasn’t swearing on the phone. Going mental like he ought to be. He had such a calmness that Kyungsoo hadn’t predicted.

 

“Yes,” responded Kyungsoo calmly, though not meaning it. Only wanting to hear a reaction.

 

There was another moments silence.

 

“But how could you let this hapen?” asked Baekhyun, “When you know who her father is? When you know the truth about her? Don’t you realize what’s at stake?”

 

Another pause then Kyungsoo blurted,

“Why the hell ain’t you jealous!”

 

Baekhyuns breathing sped up through the speaker and Kyungsoo heard the sounds of voices drawing in from Baekhyuns background. Amercain voices, laughing, some singing.

 

“You’re supposed to be threatening me!” added Kyungsoo, “Wanting to kill me! Just like you almost killed me last time”

 

“I always want to kill you!” snapped Baekhyun. “I'm frustrated that you're changing her into who you want her to be! An that's not right! Am I going to come back and find that Jennie's gone? Replaced by some stranger you've created?”

"I should change her!" snapped Kyungsoo, "She could be doing better!"

"So you're telling me you didn't do this to make her father angry?" accused Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo paused. Not knowing himself what to say. This whole thing had been a plot aginst Baekhyun, but had it also been something else?

"She can't be with someone like you!" snapped Baekhyun. "You would poison her into what you are! The last person anybody wants to be is you and you know it!!"

 

Kyungsoo paled, the phone slowly slipping from his fingers. For the first time in his like, he felt there was nothing he could have said.

With a splash, the phone hit the tub, stinging his big round eyes which stared gloomily at the blank canvass walls ahead.

 

An imaginary bullet stretched deep into his heart, tearing him slowly and softly. Baekhyun voice still pounding in his ear:

The last person anybody wants to be is you!

 

After twenty minutes, Kyungsoo climbed out of the spa, scooped up a towel from a nearby wrap, then knotted it about his middle.

 

Without bothering to change into his clothes, he marched right out of the spahouse and into the mansion. His barefeet leaving a wet trail along the hallway.

 

After opening the door to his guest room, he found Jennie sitting on top of his bed, her eyes down. Face glistening from the shaft of sunlight beaming through his open window.

 

His eyes shot from her the robe hanging from the hook of the attached bathroom door. His heart froze in his chest, refusing to acknowledge she was there.

 

Since when did monkey just appear in his guest room?

 

“It didn’t work...” she said weakly. “H-He j-just messaged me. T-Telling me that if I'm to be with you I should be careful, but, he didn't opose it.”

 

Her voice was breaking and while Kyungsoo wanted to listen to her, he also wanted more than anything for her to get out of his room. Or at least lookup and realize he was wearing a towel.

 

She pursed her lips, cheeks wobbling with tears. Arms shaking.

 

“He doesn’t like me at all!” she spat. And then bounced off the bed and glared at Kyungsoo accusingly, “I put my trust in you and humiliated myself for no reason!”

 

Kyungsoo slowly stepped sideways, nearing his bathroom door which hung the robe. Jennie hadn’t seemed to have noticed his exposed form.

 

“This was the ultimate test!” she wailed, flopping back onto the bed. Kyungsoo flung the fleece around his body. His anxiety finally bubbling down.

 

“I failed...” she ached, breathing heavily.

 

“Monkey!” snapped Kyungsoo, stomping toward the bed and standing over her. She glared up at him and pulled herself up against the bed rest.

 

“At least now you have your answer. But no drinking, do you understand?”

 

Jennie’s head fell and she nodded dumbly, “Of course,” she whispered, “He chose Taeyeon. She won. I have to give up….don’t I? Even though I'm really tempted to ask the maids for champagne.”

Kyungsoo sighed, "Baekhyuns not as predictable as I hoped he would be."

 

he glanced at his watch, “I’m heading out for training in twenty minutes monkey,” he said, turning for his draws.

Jennie huddled her face between her knee’s, “I don't care,” she muffled.

 

“Monkey, you have to come with me. I’m your supervisor and I'm afraid that if I leave here alone, you will go off, get drunk, and you might come back dead."

 

She chuckled a sad chuckle. “So I'd be better off going to the academy after what we've done? Have everybody looking at us? No thanks.”

 

Kyungsoo paused in front of his mirror. Staring at the guy in front, as though he were a stranger.

 

“If you hide, it will look like you’re ashamed of me. If we step out together, it will shut people up quickly. They’ll shut up sooner.”

 

Jennie hiccuped into her knee’s, face hot. “But what if your nazi fan-girls kill me?”

 

“Monkey!” snapped Kyungsoo. “If I want you to come to the academy with me and train, then you will! No questions! Just listen!”

 

She turned then lay flat, face down into the mattress, trembling.

 

Kyungsoo approached her then placed one hand on her back. She calmed dramatically for a moment.

“I can't leave you here,” said Kyungso quite plainly. "Not after this."

Jennie rolled over to face him. Her face red from sweat. Eyes puffy.

 

“I’m sorry Kyungsoo,” she whispered, all strength drained from her voice. “You tried to help me and humiliated yourself for no reason.”

 

He stared at her and she stared back. Their moment lengthy as the breeze soared through the window, sweeping back the hair from their faces.

 

“Don't worry, it was kind of fun,” said Kyungsoo, this time softly. "And if anybody wants to pick on you for the newspapers, then tell them they're just jealous and that'll shut them up."

Jennie snuffled, somewhere between a sob and laugh.

 

“Well then, you are right,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter