55.

I Don't Like Your Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suyeon looked down and then up again, comparing the address on the slip of the paper in her hand with the address on the house in front of her.  Tucking the paper back in her purse, she squared her shoulders and headed up the path toward the house.

"Here goes nothing," she said to herself.

When she reached the house, she knocked on the door and waited.  She was just about to knock again when the door was answered by a woman who looked like Sei, if Sei was 30 years older and had forgotten how to smile.

Suyeon bowed.  "Hello Mrs. Lee.  My name is Ji Suyeon.  I wanted to come talk to you about your daughter."

Mrs. Lee looked Suyeon up and down, her gaze neither friendly or unfriendly, but merely analytical, as if trying to figure out what to do with this young woman who'd shown up on her doorstep.  "Come inside," she said, "I'll make some tea."

Suyeon and Mrs. Lee made awkward small talk while making the tea, then Mrs. Lee led Suyeon to an immaculately clean sitting room.  "But I'm sure you didn't come all this way just to chat.  You said you had something to say about Seo-Jeong?"

Suyeon nodded.  "Yes, Mrs. Lee.  Seo-Jeong is very upset because of what you said to her when she came out to you as gay.  She desperately wants your approval, but at the same time, she can't help who she loves."

Mrs. Lee stared at Suyeon, waiting for her to go on.

Finally, Suyeon took a deep breath and said.  "I'm Seo-Jeong's girlfriend.  I love your daughter more than anything, and that's why I'm here trying to make peace between the two of you."

Mrs. Lee's face took on a distinctly sour cast.  "I think-"

But Suyeon never got to find out what Mrs. Lee thought because just then there was a knock at the door.

"Just a second.  I've got to go check that."  She fixed Suyeon with a penetrating stare.  "Don't go anywhere."

Mrs. Lee walked back to the front room.  Suyeon took a deep breath and shivered slightly.  She took a sip of her tea to try to calm herself.  From the other room, she heard a familiar voice.  "Hello Mrs. Lee.  My name is Kim Doyeon and I'm you're daughter's girlfriend.  I need to talk to you about Seo-jeong-"

Mrs. Lee cut her off.  "Come on in.  I'll fix you a cup of tea and you can sit next to the other one and we can talk.

Suyeon looked up as Doyeon and Mrs. Lee came into the room.  Mrs. Lee brought another cup from the kitchen and poured Doyeon a cup of tea.  "You'll get to say your piece in a minute, but the other one was here first, so she gets to go first."

Doyeon looked at Suyeon.  "Hi Sweetie.  Fancy meeting you here."

Suyeon smiled weakly at Doyeon, then turned back to Mrs. Lee.  "As I was saying, Seo-jeong desperately wants your approval.  She-"

Just then there was another knock at the door.  "Hold that thought," Mrs. Lee said.  "I'll be right back."

From the other room, Suyeon and Doyeon heard Mrs. Lee say "I recognize you - you were Seo-jeong's roommate when she was a trainee.  Let me guess:  You're Seo-Jeong's girlfriend and you want to try to talk to me to make peace between us."

Lua's voice, when it came after a moment's silence, was tremulous.  "Yes, that's right.  How did you know?"

"Apparently Seo-jeong's other girlfriends walk faster than you.  They're already sitting on the couch.  Come on in and have a cup of tea with us."

Mrs. Lee led Lua into the room, and gestured for her to sit on the couch next to Doyeon.  As she fiddled around with the tea things to fix Lua a cup, she said "I expect you all know each other, so I'm not going to bother to introduce you.  I'm really curious to hear how the three of you showed up here, all claiming to be Seo-jeong's girlfriend.  Unless my daughter's some sort of playboy, only one of you can be telling the truth."

"Actually," Lua said, "we're all telling the truth.  We're all Sei's - I mean Seo-jeong's - girlfriends.  We're all in love with your daughter."

Mrs. Lee hand Lua a cup of tea, picked up her own cup and sat down.  She took a sip of tea and then looked across at the three of them.  "I don't know what you three are trying to pull, but I told Seo-jeong and I'll tell you-"

But whatever Mrs. Lee had been about to tell them was cut off by a knock at the door.

"Not another one!" Mrs. Lee grumbled as she stomped off to get the door.  Suyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter