49.

I Don't Like Your Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The next week was fairly routine: Practices, promos, radio interviews. Lucy managed to keep herself from asking Manager-nim about the bodyguard. The others hoped she'd forgotten about it, but Sei wasn't so sure.   "She hasn't forgotten about it," Sei told Suyeon one night as they were trying to get to sleep.   "How can you be so sure?" Suyeon asked.   "First of all, because it's Lucy - she never forgets about anything." Sei rolled over to face Suyeon. "And second, because have you seen her when we walk down the street? Her eyes are constantly moving, checking out each and every person as if she could see if they're a sasaeng."   Suyeon wrapped her arm around Sei. "Okay, so she hasn't forgotten about it. What do we do now?"   Sei shrugged. "I don't know. I keep hoping she'll just get over it, but so far nothing. . ." Sei buried her face in the crook of Suyeon's neck. "I feel so bad for her. She's still so scared. She tries to hide it, but I can tell."   "Well," Suyeon said, leaning over and kissing Sei on the forehead, "we'll figure something out to help her. We've got a surprise coming tomorrow. Maybe that will take her mind off of it."   Sei looked up, her face excited. "A surprise? What? What is it?"   Suyeon shook her head. "I promised Manager-nim I wouldn't tell."   "But we find out tomorrow?" Sei asked.   Suyeon nodded. "Tomorrow before lunch."   "Then why not go ahead and tell me? Manager-nim would never know!"   "Maybe she'd never know, but someone would know. Anyway, I promised Manager-nim."   "How would someone know that you told me?" Sei asked indignantly. "I wouldn't tell anyone."   "You'd try not to," Suyeon said, "but you're no good at keeeping secrets. You'd get up first tomorrow morning, because you almost always get up first. Someone else would get up - probably one of your girlfriends, probably Lucy - and she'd look at you and could tell just from looking at your face that you've got a secret. Then she'd ask you what the secret was, and you wouldn't be able to resist telling her. You'd be all 'I'm not supposed to tell you but. . .'"   Sei laughed at Suyeon's impression of her. "OK, so it probably would go something like that. But I'd try to keep it a secret."   "Not good enough," Suyeon said with a laugh.   "Anyway, what are we going to do about Lucy?" Sei asked.   "I don't know yet," Suyeon said. "I'm hoping this surprise will help snap her out of it, because if not, I've got no ideas."   "Well," Sei said, wrapping her arm around Suyeon, "I'm sure if we need an idea, you'll come up with one - you always do."   Suyeon lay awake long after Sei had gone to sleep. "I hope you're right, Sei," Suyeon said to herself. "I really hope you are."   ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^   The next morning, Sei woke up well before everyone else. Before sunrise, even. She went for a run, then came back and saw a light on in the kitchen.   "Oh good," she thought, "someone else is up."   She took off her shoes and padded into the kitchen. "Good mo-"   Lucy's shriek interrupted Sei's greeting. She dropped her cup of tea and spun around.   "Lucy, it's just me!" Sei said, moving forward to try to calm Lucy down.   "Don't sneak up on me like that!" Lucy yelled.   "I'm sorry - I didn't mean to sneak up at you," Sei said, bending down to pick up Lucy's teacup. Miraculously, it wasn't broken.   Lucy grabbed a towel off the counter and started wiping up the tea on the floor. "No, I'm sorry," she said, swabbing angrily at the tea. "I shouldn't still be so scared of everything like that." She wiped up the last of the tea and then threw the soggy towel in the hamper.   Sei finished refilling the kettle and turned it on, then turned around to face Lucy. "Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. You're getting better." She crossed the kitchen and wrapped her arms around Lucy. "You're going to be okay."   "But when?" Lucy asked, looking down at Sei. "I want to be better now."   "I don't know when," Sei admitted, shaking her head. "Maybe you don't see it, because you're always with yourself, but the rest of us see it. Yesterday you went to the grocery store by yourself."   Lucy snorted and rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah, because that worked so well. I got to the grocery store and then couldn't get up the nerve to go in. Yoojung had to walk down to the grocery store and help me finish the shopping."   "All right, so it wasn't perfect." Sei gently the side of Lucy's face. "But it was better - a week ago you wouldn't even leave the dorm by yourself." Sei looked around and nervously chewed her bottom lip. "I've got a secret to share with you, if you promise not to tell."   Intrigued, Lucy nodded. "I promise."   Sei looked around again, wanting to make sure that they were alone. "Manager-nim told Suyeon that we're getting a surprise this morning, before lunch."   Lucy's eyes got huge. "Really? What is it? What is it?"   Sei looked excitedly back at Lucy, then suddenly her face fell. "I don't know. Suyeon wouldn't tell me."   Lucy started laughing and couldn't stop. In between peals of laughter, she managed to gasp out "Sei, that is most weak-sauce secret I've ever heard!"   Sei looked around nervously, unsure whether to be happy or worried about the way Lucy was laughing. She was spared the need to make a decision by Lua coming into the kitchen.  
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter