Chapter 9

A 'Shifter's Story

It had been a couple weeks since Daniel's last mission and Chani was keeping to his word about contacting other vampires to see what he could find out. Rowoon kept his secrets from Daniel, with growing suspicion that his younger brother was behind this as news of disappearing humans reached their territory. Taeil sent his updates every few days, telling them where he was and what he was doing.

Mark was with Rowoon, taking him hunting. "You know," he said, stopping by a tree with Rowoon stopping beside him. "Don't think I know about your connection to Daniel," he said, turning to Rowoon. Rowoon hummed in response as he shrugs. "I don't want him to get the wrong impression," he said.

"Rowoon," said Mark as he sighed. "Don't be an idiot," he said. "He's been looking for you since his mate died," he said. "I wasn't the one who killed her," said Rowoon. "Yes but you are an accomplice," said Mark. "Do Chani and Zuho even know your affiliation with him?" He asked. Rowoon shook his head. "I met them afterwards," he said. "Well, one day your secret is going to not be a secret anymore," said Mark. "I know," said Rowoon. "Well, let's get back to hunting," said Mark as he sped off, going to find something. Rowoon sighed and ran after him, branching off to find his own kill.

Rowoon found a mountain lion, remembering that Taeil was out on a long term mission before pouncing on it and biting down on the neck, groaning at the taste of fresh blood flowing into his mouth. He moved away after he had drained the mountain lion, wiping a little blood away from the corner of his mouth as he shook his head to get his eyes back to normal. His eyes roamed the area he was in, sensing something was off as he tilted his head to the side.

A twig snapping to his left suddenly had him crouched low as a snarl erupted from his chest. "Well, that's no way to greet your younger brother," said Taeyang as he walked into view. Rowoon blinked before straightening, his eyes narrowing. "What brings you here?" He asked. "Ah, I can't check up on my older brother?" Asked Taeyang.

"Still doing your vegan thing it looks like," he said, noticing the dead mountain lion at Rowoon's feet. Rowoon snorts. "I've changed Taeyang," he said. "I know," said Taeyang as he shrugs nonchalantly. "What really brings you here anyway?" Asked Rowoon. "I heard Daniel was in the area, I just wanted to play a little game," Taeyang said, shrugging.

A growl emanated from Rowoon's chest. "You will not lay a finger on him," he said, his eyes flashing black for a second before he composed himself. "Why? Our way of finding mates are so suggestive," Taeyang said with a snort. Rowoon used his vampire speed to appear in front of Taeyang and punched him in the face. "I said, leave him alone," he said, growling a bit. Taeyang recoiled from the blow, rubbing his cheek lightly. "Fine, I'll leave him alone," he grumbled.

"Are you the one who is killing all the humans?" Rowoon asked, tilting his head to the side. "Me? No," said Taeyang. "That's actually beyond my power," he said. "I don't kill enough to get featured in the papers, I'm not that stupid," he said. "What brings you this close to 'shifter territory?" Asked Rowoon. "Again, I'm just checking up on you," said Taeyang. "I better go then," he said, using his vampire speed to get away.

Rowoon was about to go after him but he remembered that he had a body to get rid of. He turned and dug a hole before throwing the body into it and covering it up.

He was just getting done burying the body when Mark walked over. "I had to trace a vampire scent, sorry it took so long," said Mark as he scratched the back of his head. "No problem," said Rowoon as he turned to Mark. "What scent did you catch?" He asked. "A scent of another vampire, they were really close to the house," said Mark. "Hm," said Rowoon as he nodded. "Let's head back then," he said. He ran back with Mark following after him.

"What's this about an unknown vampire on our lands?" Asked Jaehyun when Mark and Rowoon reached the house. "I don't know," said Rowoon. "I wasn't aware of another vampire in the area 'til Mark said something," he said. "We need to be extra careful," said Daniel as he came outside. "Word of more humans disappearing is reaching the point where they're sending out search parties," he said.

"Damn it," said Jaehyun as he sighed. "We need to keep this from reaching the vampire hunting association," he said. "Dude," said Daniel. "They're not the ones we need to worry about, if it comes to it Italy themselves will come and dispatch the vampires," he said.

"That means danger for our resident bloodsuckers," said Johnny as he came outside with Chani and Zuho. "We're not bound here by much except for Rowoon," said Chani. "If we need to get away we will," he said. "If you need to," said Jaehyun as he nodded. "But we're staying," said Chani. Zuho nodded. "We're staying," he said. "Your choice," said Johnny.

"Ah, Winwin and Yuta have been dying to kill some vampires," said Daniel as he sighed. "We'll see what happens when it happens," said Jaehyun. "I hate to want to start patrols but we might need it," he said. "Yuta! Winwin!" He called. Yuta and Winwin come outside.

"We need to start running patrols," said Jaehyun. "I know you you want to kill vampires but we need to be careful now," he said. "The amount of humans disappearing is causing a ruckus and I want to keep it as far away from Italy as possible," he said. "If we get Italy's attention this will end badly," he said.

"Go, stay near each other, and roar or something if something comes up," he said. Yuta and Winwin nod before hopping off the porch and changing. They head into the woods to start patrol.