Chapter 4

A 'Shifter's Story

"Daniel do something!" Screamed a voice from somewhere in front of Daniel. "It's a shame, I really wanted to see your mate alive and well after this but you broke a promise Daniel," came a voice that spoke in his ear. "Let her go!" Snarled out Daniel as he struggled with his restraints, unable to see because he was blindfolded. "Alas I can't Daniel," the voice purred to his left. "Kill her," the voice commanded. "No!" Screamed Daniel.

Daniel woke with a gasp as he sat up, breathing heavily. "What the hell?" He asked, flopping down onto his bed again. "Are you alright Daniel?" Asked Woojin as he sat up. "Yeah," said Daniel. "Just woke from a nightmare," he grumbled. "I'm fine though," he said, turning over and staring at his closet door.

They heard Mark shout that his friends were here, so Daniel got up and went to see who these vampires were. Woojin and Hongseob followed after Daniel and stood with him outside.

"Hey guys," said Mark. "Remind me why we decided to come here again?" Asked Chani. "You invited yourselves," Mark said, shrugging. "I guess," said Chani. "Ah, you guys know the rules," said Mark as he scratched the back of his head. "Right, right vegetarian style while here, like always," said Chani. "We're joking with that," he said as he saw Daniel, Woojin and Hongseob. "We've always been "vegetarians" as you call us," he said.

"You're lucky Mark told us you were coming," said Daniel. "I guess so but," Chani said, shrugging again. "We won't cause trouble unless you start it first," he said.

"Keep it that way then," said Jaehyun as he came outside. "You must be Chani," he said. "Yes," said Chani. "I'm Rowoon," said Rowoon. "Zuho," said Zuho.

"That voice..." Muttered Daniel as he tilted his head. "You!" He said, going up to Rowoon. "Why do you sound familiar to me?" He asked. "I have never seen you before in my life," said Rowoon as he gently pushed Daniel back while keeping his stance as neutral as possible as to not set off a violent reaction.

"Daniel," warned Jaehyun. "It's alright," said Rowoon as he took a generous step back. Daniel narrowed his eyes. "What the hell?" He asked. "I swear I know your voice from somewhere," he said. "I don't think so," said Rowoon. "You hunt us for a living so," he said, shrugging. "I could sound like a vampire you killed," he said.

Daniel noticed the smallest change in Rowoon's expression before Rowoon hummed. "Well, this is awkward," said Rowoon. "Damn it Rowoon," said Chani. "If we get in trouble you're out of it because of 'shifter law and what not," he said, sighing dramatically. "That only applies if the 'shifter found his mate in the vampire, not the other way around," said Mark as he scratched the back of his head. Daniel blinked in confusion before it dawned on him. "You found your mate in me?" He exclaimed, taking a step back. "Well, this changes things," said Jaehyun.

Rowoon put his hands in his pockets, shrugging. "We don't go crazy if you reject us," he said. "But at least give it a chance," he said. Daniel turned to Jaehyun, lost. "Well," said Jaehyun as he shrugs. "It's up to you at this point," he said. "Try it out for a couple days, if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out," he said. Daniel contemplated it for a full minute before nodding. "Alright," he said. Rowoon nodded. "Well, that's that then," he said.

Daniel let out a yell in surprise as Rowoon swept him up into his arms and ran. "I don't have my phone!" Said Daniel. Rowoon turned and ran into the house, going to Daniel's room. Daniel got his phone before he was carried off by Rowoon, going to talk somewhere private.

Rowoon came to a stop beside a boulder and set Daniel down. "Mind if I hunt?" He asked. "Go ahead but warn a guy next time," Daniel said, scratching the back of his head. He heard Rowoon laugh as he ran off to find something.

Daniel had perched himself on the boulder when Rowoon got back, wiping a little bit of blood off his mouth. "What'd you find?" He asked as Rowoon climbed up onto the rock and sat beside him. "Mountain lion," said Rowoon. "It wasn't one of your packmates before you say anything, I made sure before hand," he said, showing the text he sent to Mark. "Mm," said Daniel as he nodded.

"So, what animal are you?" Asked Rowoon. "A polar bear, just like my brother," Daniel said, shrugging. "Runs in the family?" Asked Rowoon. Daniel nodded. "I don't know if there is any families left that can choose their form but," he said, shrugging. "There probably is somewhere out there," said Rowoon.

"What made you become a vegetarian?" Asked Daniel. "I lost my coven to a bunch of hunters," said Rowoon as he looked up at the sky. "I eventually got my revenge but," he said, shrugging. "To keep off the hunter's list I started hunting animals," he said. Daniel hummed in response.

"What about you? Why do you hunt my kind?" Asked Rowoon as he turned to Daniel. "Well," said Daniel. "It was my job then," he said, shrugging. "I earned money, kept my pack safe the usual," he said. "I found my mate in a turned werewolf named Jisoo," he said, clenching his hands into fists as the trembling started. He took a deep breath to calm down before deciding to speak again.

"She had her wolf extracted, voluntarily I may add, so we could be together," he said. "Eventually we were captured by vampires and I could only listen to her screams as they killed her before they knocked me out and dropped me off somewhere, where I came to," he said. "Now I hunt to get revenge," he said. "I see," said Rowoon as he nodded.