Chapter 10

A 'Shifter's Story

Everyone went in shifts, each pair gathering their own information on what was happening. As much as Daniel wanted to spend time with Rowoon he was put on the same shift as Jaehyun, with Haechan taking a shift with Johnny so the vampires could have separate shifts and hunt if they needed to.

It was one of those times where Daniel was on his shift with Jaehyun, each taking opposite circles around the outer perimeter of town to cover more ground. They were going at the same pace, making sure to stay out of sight of the humans as they ran patrols in their animal forms.

Daniel found a trail leading deeper into the forest, causing him to pause. He wondered where Jaehyun was as he shifted to human form. "Damn it," he said. He let out a loud whistle, wondering if it was heard from where ever Jaehyun was. He then shifted back, snorting and rubbing his snout with his paw when he heard footsteps, turning and seeing Jaehyun appear with a change of clothes. Daniel changed back and put the clothes on.

"What's up?" Asked Jaehyun. "I found a trail, not even hours cold," said Daniel as he pointed. "You didn't bother to follow it?" Asked Jaehyun. "Alone? Are you crazy?" Asked Daniel. "You're a bit in the dark with the way these things work bro," he said. "Come on," he said, running after the scent. Jaehyun texted everyone, to get them out here before following after Daniel.

Rowoon was the first one to show up, with Chani, Mark and Zuho not far behind him since they had been hunting. "Ah, it's Taeyang," grumbled Rowoon, causing everyone to glance at him before they came upon said vampire. "Why the hell did you do this?" He asked. "I have no idea what you are talking about," said Taeyang as he turned to Rowoon.

Daniel seemed to freeze, recognizing this voice. "Who the hell?" Asked Daniel as he growled lightly. "Ah, the bear cub returns then," said Taeyang as he faced Daniel. "You," snarled out Daniel as he felt a shudder go through his body. "You killed her didn't you?!" He asked as he walked up to Taeyang, snarling as he shoved him into a tree before getting up in his face.

"What's it to you cub?" Hissed Taeyang. "I enjoyed biting into her and draining her, but I wasn't the one who brought you in," he said. "Didn't Rowoon mention he had a younger brother?" He asked. The others had shown up by now, extremely wary of the situation.

"Don't you dare speak a word," Rowoon said, a snarl in his tone. "You can't keep him in the dark forever now," said Taeyang as he shoved Daniel back, making him land on his back. Daniel got to his feet, shuddering and changing, soon standing on all fours in his polar bear form. He roared, baring his teeth as he took a step towards Taeyang. "Daniel," warned Jaehyun, knowing this would be bad if he let his anger get the best of him.

"I wasn't the one who brought you to the place to have your mate killed, that wasn't on me," said Taeyang as he slowly circled around the polar bear. "I was going to leave you alone but someone had to get jealous over your relationship to your mate," he said. "And then you killed off all of my coven but my brother and I," he said. "That gave him an excuse to kill off your mate, do you know who that was?" He asked.

"I said watch it," snarled out Rowoon as he tackled Taeyang to the floor and delivering a punch to his face. Jaehyun grabbed Rowoon by the shirt and dragged him off of Taeyang as Rowoon's eyes were black with fury, snarls escaping him as he fought against Jaehyun's hold on him. "Cease the fighting right now," commanded Chani, causing Rowoon to stop struggling as he went limp. Daniel was still wary as he growled, going to stand with Jaehyun.

"Ah, I see," said Taeyang as Yuta stepped forward in his animal form, going up to him. "Another 'shifter found his mate," he said, reaching out to pet Yuta. He turned to Rowoon, who still glared at him. "I guess 'shifter law would apply here wouldn't it," he said. "Such a cute little fox," he said, smiling and showing his fangs. "Well," he said, turning to Jaehyun. Jaehyun regarded him with an indifferent look, tilting his head to the side.

"I'm not the one behind all this," said Taeyang as he shrugs. "I stopped hunting humans ages ago," he said. "Well, that would explain the lack of prey in the forest," Mark said with a snort. Taeyang chuckled some. "I only came by to check on Rowoon here," he said, shrugging. "But it seems I'll be staying," he said.

"Are you sure you hunt animals?" Asked Jaehyun as he turned to Mark to get a confirmation. "He does, I smell deer on him," said Mark. Taeyang nodded in agreement. "Let's get home then," Wonpil said suddenly. "We need to make sure Jaehyun doesn't burn down the house in his attempt at making dinner!" He said, dropping his illusion and running home. Jaehyun snorts, shaking his head. "This kid," he grumbled before changing and running off, following after him. Slowly, the others ran off, leaving Taeyang, Yuta, Daniel and Rowoon alone.

"Damn 'shifter laws," grumbled Rowoon. "Hey, it's not always that bad," said Taeyang. "I'll see you at home then," he said, letting Yuta lead him back to the house.

Rowoon turned to Daniel who regarded him with a blank stare. "Well," he said, sighing. "Let's take a walk shall we?" He asked, before he started walking. Daniel took a second to shake out his fur before following behind Rowoon.