Chapter 2

A 'Shifter's Story

The next couple days were tense for everyone as Mark and Daniel stayed around to recoup before heading home. They spent as much time out of the house as possible, only returning to eat dinner and sleep.

After turning in their missions Daniel took Mark to the mall, which DK and Minghao ended up tagging along to look for new clothes. Minho went with them to supervise and make sure nothing happened between Mark and the humans in the mall.

"I guess since this is your city," grumbled Mark as they walked around the mall. "It's not like I want to be here either," said Minho. "Oi, shut it," growled out Daniel. "You'd have more than a pissed off polar bear on your hands if something goes wrong," he said. "Come on!" Said Minghao as he dragged Mark into a store with DK following after him.

"You really think he'd try something?" Asked Daniel as he put his hands in his pockets, standing outside the store Minghao dragged Mark and DK into. "He's a damn vampire," spat Minho as he stood beside Daniel. "You know 'shifter law," growled Daniel. "I know I know," said Minho as he put up his hands. "It's instinct," he said, sighing a bit. "I'm sure those two know what to do if he loses it," said Daniel. "I guess," said Minho as he scratched the back of his head. "Did you actually volunteer for this or did you come along to watch those two?" Asked Daniel. "I was asked by Joshua to watch them, even though they're older than me," Minho said, scratching the back of his head.

The atmosphere had changed, though Daniel kept his body tense the whole time. "I- uh, we might be getting some visitors before I head home," he said suddenly. "Eh?" Asked Minho as he turned to Daniel. "No vampires, I promise," said Daniel. "I let Joshua know, they're old friends," he said. "Well, Woojin's my old teammate and they're visiting so," he said, shrugging. "Oh, okay," said Minho.

"Wait, Woojin?" Asked Minho. Daniel nodded. "You're teammates with Park Woojin?!" Asked Minho. "Was," said Daniel as he shrugs. "I returned home to my brother after he let me stay with him," he said. "Woojin found his other mate in a turned werewolf named Hongseob so," he said, shrugging. "Hongseob? Oh my lord, you know a lot of well known people," said Minho. Daniel laughs.

"Well, if I didn't lay low after losing my mate my name would be more well known," he said. "O-Oh, sorry," mumbled Minho. "No no, it's the past, I'm still hunting, trying to find the vampire that killed them," said Daniel as he sighed. "I'm just laying low for the time being," he said. Minho hummed in response.

"Also I'm surprised you didn't think I was talking about your old packmate Woojin," said Daniel. "Ah, Woojin isn't much of a hunter," said Minho. "He does his job well, but he's not as well known," he said. "Chan's getting his pack there," said Daniel. "I heard that after their next Italy run they're all set to make a faction," he said. "I heard," said Minho.

Time seemed to slow when an unfamiliar voice sounded behind them. "I dare you to move, at the cost of everyone's lives here in the mall," said the voice. "Who the hell are you?" Asked Daniel as he tried to pinpoint whether he knew this voice or not. "Just a messenger, that's all," said the voice. "Continue looking for my master and your pack dies," it said. "But go ahead, keep looking for him, he'd be very happy to see you," it said before they heard footsteps walk away from them. Daniel and Minho whirled around to face where the voice was coming from but found nothing.

"What the hell?" Asked Daniel. "I hope they didn't mean my pack," said Minho. "No," said Daniel. "If that was the case we would've gotten a text ages ago," he said. "Looks like I need to let Jaehyun know," he said, quickly texting Jaehyun before texting Mark to hurry up and get out of the store. Mark rushed out of the store at human speed with DK and Minghao following after him.

"A vampire? Here? Are they stupid or crazy?" Asked Mark. "I don't know," said Daniel. "But it seems our trip is being cut short," he said. Minho scratched the back of his head. "I was beginning to like having you two around," he said. Daniel chuckled some. "Well, let's go," he said, leaving with the others. He texted Woojin and told him to just go to Jaehyun's pack house as he drove back to Joshua's pack house. "Let's pack and go," he said before getting out of the Jeep and running to get packed. Mark used his vampire speed to go help.

"Want some food for the road?" Asked Ryeowook as he met Daniel in the room he was staying in. "Sure, we live in Ithaca but it beats stopping for food and I can just pay for gas," said Daniel. Ryeowook went to get some food for them before Mark took the bags of food down to the Jeep. Daniel took their bags of stuff down to the jeep and packed up the back before closing the trunk. "I'll see you guys around then," said Daniel as he waved to Ryeowook before he got into the driver's seat. Mark got into the passenger seat and Daniel started the Jeep before driving off, heading back to Jaehyun's pack house.

Daniel got a call and he picked up, putting the phone on speaker as he put it on the dock. "What's up?" He asked. "What the hell do you mean you found vampires and instead of killing them you decided to come home early?" Came Jaehyun's voice. "This guy knows the vampire that killed my mate," said Daniel. Jaehyun sighed. "You're not going to find him," he said.

"This is as close as I've gotten to finding them in a long time," said Daniel. "I know you want revenge bro but," Jaehyun said with a sigh. "Whatever, stay safe and get on home, Woojin and Hongseob are here," he said. "Will do," said Daniel before he hung up.