Chapter 15

A 'Shifter's Story

On the way to their destination Daniel got a call from his brother. "What's up?" Asked Daniel. "Did you think I wouldn't find out?" Came Jaehyun's voice. "Let me do this brother," said Daniel. "I need to finish this damn job once and for all," he said. "I know I wouldn't be able to persuade you to not do this but," Jaehyun said, sighing.

"Good luck then, and Rowoon," he said. Rowoon hummed in response. "If I find out that you got him killed you can guarantee that I will come kill you myself," said Jaehyun. "I won't get him killed," said Rowoon. "Good," said Jaehyun before he hung up.

"You know," said Rowoon as Daniel pulled into an exit to get some gas and some food. "That's the first time I've heard your brother show any concern for you," he said. Daniel hummed in response. "He isn't normally so... Concerned," he said. "He cares for me as any sibling will but," he said, shrugging. "He's a good brother don't get me wrong," he said, parking the jeep and getting out. "Wanna refuel the jeep while I get food?" He asked. "Sure," said Rowoon as he got out. Daniel went to get food while Rowoon refueled the Jeep.

"Where are we going?" Asked Rowoon when Daniel came back with food. "Albany," said Daniel. "At least, that's where the mission details say he is," he said. "Is there somewhere we can stay?" Asked Rowoon. Daniel shook his head. "We'll have to stay at a hotel for a bit," he said. "Hopefully things will be alright from this point on," he said. "At least, as alright as it can get when facing your old coven leader," he said. Rowoon nodded.

After refueling the jeep Daniel got into the driver's seat with Rowoon getting in the passenger seat. "Well, let's go then," said Daniel as he started the jeep and drove off, continuing to their destination.

"Are you nervous?" Rowoon asked suddenly. "No," said Daniel. "This is just another job for me," he said. "I know this might sound selfish to you but," he said, sighing a bit as he changed lanes. "You learn to not let your feelings get in the way of hunts the longer you hunt," he said. "I guess that's the same way human drinking vampires feel," mumbled Rowoon. "In a way yes," said Daniel. "But that's where our similarities end," he said. 

They reached Albany a few hours later and Daniel went to look for a hotel to stay in. "We won't stay anywhere too expensive," said Daniel. "Don't want to alert them of our arrival too early," he said. Rowoon nodded. "That would end pretty badly I'd say," he said.

Daniel pulled into a Motel 6 parking lot and went to see about renting a room for the next couple days. Once he got a room they went to see what to do as Daniel went to unpack the jeep, grabbing his laptop and bring it to the room they would be staying in. He put his laptop on the nightstand, opening it and turning it on. Rowoon went into the bathroom to refresh himself and take a shower.

Daniel was checking his emails when Rowoon came out of the bathroom, towel drying his hair as he was dressed in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. "I'm assuming we'll go after him tomorrow?" Asked Rowoon. "Your guess is correct," said Daniel as he didn't look up from his laptop.

"I've asked for some help, since you know, this is your old coven leader and what not," he said. "Woojin and Hongseob will be here tomorrow," he said. "Okay," said Rowoon.

"No offense to you," said Daniel as he sighed a bit. "We can't have you trying to stop us from killing Inseong when we do go after him," he said. "No problem," said Rowoon as he went to sit down beside Daniel. "It's just shocking really, that he's the one behind this the whole time," he said. "I thought it was my brother," he said. Daniel chuckled some. "Well," he said, scooting forward so he could lay down with the laptop on his stomach. "We'll see what happens tomorrow," he said.

"There is one question that's been on my mind," he said, turning his head slightly to look at Rowoon. "Hm?" Asked Rowoon. "Why?" Asked Daniel. "Why what?" Asked Rowoon as he turned to Daniel. "Why did you kill her?" Asked Daniel. "I wasn't the one who killed her," said Rowoon.

"Why didn't you kill me instead?" Asked Daniel. "I thought we went over this," Rowoon said, sighing a bit. "You were my mate since the beginning, remember how you couldn't kill me back then? You had the chance to but you never did," he said. "Even if we were enemies back then, I know I couldn't be the one to kill you," he said. "I think I'd risk myself dying first," he said. Daniel hummed in response before he moved the laptop off his stomach and onto the nightstand. "I'm going to take a shower, don't wait for me," he said, going to his duffel bag and grabbing a change of clothes and a towel before heading into the bathroom.

Rowoon checked his phone while Daniel was in the shower, updating Chani and Zuho on what was going on. They had told him to be careful and he told them not to worry. He was playing a game on his phone when Daniel came out of the bathroom, towel drying his hair as he was dressed in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

"Bored?" Asked Daniel. "Kind of," said Rowoon. "You could've played a game on my laptop," said Daniel. "Nah I'm good," said Rowoon as he shrugs. Daniel went to sit on the bed, grabbing his laptop and putting it in his lap as he leaned against the headboard. He got up and went to get a mouse and got into a game of PUBG after connecting his mouse to the laptop. He played several rounds, winning a couple as he did so.

"You look like you're having fun," said Rowoon as he watched Daniel play. Daniel laughs. "I never get a chance to play when I'm at home," he said, shooting some enemies. "I have a gaming PC at home but," he said, shrugging as he moved his character around to grab loot. "Haechan is usually the one playing on it," he said.

After losing a few more times Daniel went to plug in his laptop and get ready to sleep. Rowoon hummed to himself as he went to plug in his phone to let it charge. "Well, goodnight then," said Daniel. "Goodnight," said Rowoon.

After making sure Daniel was asleep Rowoon changed clothes and went outside, making sure to not wake Daniel in the process. He didn't take his phone because he knew this would only take a few minutes. He went across the street to the local gas station, pretending to buy a drink before heading out and standing outside, waiting on someone.

"Rowoon," came Inseong's voice as he walked over. "Hello Inseong," said Rowoon as he forced a smile. "What brings you here? Finally got away from Chani?" Asked Inseong. "You could say that," said Rowoon.

"You're being noticed you know," he said, turning to Inseong. "I figured I was," said Inseong. "However I have a small surprise for our friend here," he said. "You'll see in due time," he said before leaving. Rowoon watched him go before heading back to the motel and putting the drink in the fridge. He went to grab his phone and lay on the other bed, letting out a deep sigh before playing on his phone for the rest of the night.