Chapter 14

A 'Shifter's Story

"So what brings you to this side of the states?" Asked Daniel as they took a walk through the forest. "For one, Jisung isn't even alpha anymore, he disbanded the pack so," said Jaehwan as he shrugs. "But another reason was that we heard about the blood ers over here and wanted to come help," he said. "No offense to the vegetarians anyway," he said. "I don't think they take much offense at this point," said Daniel. "Chani's been doing what he can to help," he said.

"What's the story with the red haired guy?" Asked Jaehwan. "Zuho? I'm not sure," said Daniel. "You're gonna have to ask him," he said. "He's your mate," he said. "I don't want to into personal business," he said. "This is between you and him," he said.

"What are you going to do with the rest of your packmates?" He asked. "I don't know," said Jaehwan. "They tolerate the vampires but," he said, sighing a bit. "Well, 'shifter law applies here," said Daniel. "Let's hope they respect that enough," he said.

"Also, who the hell thought it was a good idea to dye their hair bright red and bright orange?" Asked Jaehwan. Daniel chuckled some. "Maybe you should convince them to dye their hair back to black," he said. "I might," said Jaehwan.

"You know, I'm surprised they believed the charade of us being rivals for that long," Daniel said with a grin. "Hey, Seongwoo and Jihoon even played along so well," Jaehwan said with a snicker. "Where are we going anyway?" He asked. "Just wandering around aimlessly," said Daniel. "It's been a while since I've had time to just myself," he said. Jaehwan hummed in response.

"So who was left when you left?" Asked Daniel. "Jisung, Sungwoo, and Jinyoung," said Jaehwan. "We didn't like being bound strictly to those lands, Daehwi and Guanlin left a few weeks before we did," he said. Daniel hummed in response as they stopped by a river.

They were there for most of the afternoon, enjoying the peace and quiet. It was interrupted by both their stomachs growling, causing them to burst out laughing. "I guess we better head back and make sure Jaehyun doesn't burn the food," said Daniel. Jaehwan snickered and headed back with Daniel.

"Daniel, just go get food," said Johnny as he came outside to meet them. "Did he set the stove on fire again?" Asked Daniel as he sighed dramatically. "Yep," said Johnny. Daniel shook his head in amusement before going inside to grab his phone, wallet and car keys before yelling to text him what everyone wanted for dinner. He headed out to the jeep with Jaehwan, causing Zuho and Rowoon to follow after him.

Daniel moved the driver's seat forward to let Zuho and Jaehwan climb into the back of the jeep before moving the seat back and climbing in with Rowoon getting in the passenger seat. "What's the verdict?" Asked Jaehwan. "McDonalds again," said Daniel. "All this fast food can't be healthy for you," said Zuho, causing Daniel to snort. "We burn right through the calories, so it's no big deal," said Daniel as he started the jeep and backed out of the driveway, heading towards McDonalds.

After going through the drive through and pulling off to the side to let their orders get made Daniel leaned back in his seat, sighing a bit. "Something wrong?" Asked Rowoon. Jaehwan and Zuho were looking out their respective windows, being silent. "Nothing," said Daniel. "It's just been a weird week for me I guess," he said. Rowoon hummed in response as he checked his phone for new messages.

"Ah," Rowoon said suddenly as he got a notification on his phone. "What's up?" Asked Daniel as he turned to Rowoon. "Finally got word on who was behind all the killings," said Rowoon. "Who is it?" Asked Jaehwan.

"I thought you killed off my coven," said Rowoon as he turned to Daniel. Daniel blinked in confusion. "I did," he said. "Who's behind this?" He asked. "Inseong," said Rowoon as he showed a picture he had been sent. "What the hell," grumbled Daniel. "I remember killing him first," he said.

"Your coven?" Asked Zuho. "The one I was with originally with Taeyang," said Rowoon as he shrugs. "The ones who were killed off by Daniel because we broke a promise first," he said. "What was that promise?" Asked Zuho. "To not hunt humans," said Daniel. "I wasn't always a vegetarian," said Rowoon. "I think you knew that though," he said. Zuho nodded. "I always had an intuition that you weren't always like us, well, Chani and I," he said.

There was a knock on the window and Daniel opened the door to start taking the bags of food from the employee and handing them back to Zuho and Jaehwan before thanking the employee and closing the door. He let Rowoon hold the drinks and grabbed his own drink while letting Jaehwan choose his own drink. He started the jeep and backed out of his parking spot before driving off, heading home.

"Where is he?" Asked Daniel as he drove home. "Inseong? I'm not exactly sure," said Rowoon. "I'm sure we'll get his exact location soon," he said. "But I wonder who else survived?" He asked. "I swear I killed him first," said Daniel as he sighed. "We'll deal with it when we get there," said Jaehwan. Daniel nodded. They got home and Rowoon and Zuho helped bring the bags of food inside before going out to hunt with Mark, Taeyang, and Chani.

Daniel was in the middle of checking emails on his phone when he got a text message with mission details. "Well damn it," he said, sighing a bit. Jaehyun tilted his head to the side. "I got missions," said Daniel. "Are you guys gonna be okay?" He asked. "Yeah," said Jaehyun. "If we need you for something we'll message you," he said. Daniel nodded and went to get ready, texting Rowoon and asking him to come with him on this mission.

Once Daniel was out to the Jeep and packing it up, Rowoon came back and was ready to go. "Ready?" Asked Daniel as he spotted Rowoon. "Yeah, I hunted enough," said Rowoon. "Done?" He asked. Daniel nodded and got into the driver's seat. Rowoon got into the passenger seat.

"Who are we going after?" He asked. "Apparently your old coven leader," said Daniel. "So we are going after him," said Rowoon. "Are you ready to face him?" Asked Daniel as he started the Jeep and drove off, heading towards his mission. "I don't know," Rowoon said, being honest. "We'll see when we get there I guess," he said. Daniel nodded.