Chapter 5

A 'Shifter's Story

Woojin and Hongseob left a couple days later, promising to keep in touch. Jaehyun was welcoming to Rowoon, Chani and Zuho but it was instinct that had him more hostile than normal towards them. Rowoon got to know Daniel and Mark had to make sure Chani and Zuho were staying out of trouble.

Daniel could feel his insanity disappear over time the more time he spent with Rowoon. He wasn't needed for hunts that often but it had been a couple months since his last hunt and he wasn't feeling the signs of insanity creeping into the back of his mind.

"Daniel!" Said Chani. "Yo?" Asked Daniel as he looked up from his laptop. "Take a walk with me?" Asked Chani. Alarms set off in Daniel's head as he narrowed his eyes. "We won't be far, just the front yard," said Chani. "Go," Rowoon said, not looking up from his phone. "If Chani was going to do something he would've done something by now," he said. Daniel nodded and put his laptop on the coffee table after shutting it down before getting up and following Chani outside.

"I learned some rather interesting things about your past," said Chani as he tilted his head to the side. Daniel hummed in response as he narrowed his eyes. "I wanted to know about you so I asked your brother, since you know, you're Rowoon's mate apparently," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head. Daniel nodded.

"He didn't explain much," said Chani. "But I want to help you, you said your vampire is still out there?" He asked. Daniel nodded again. "I couldn't exactly kill him at the time so yes," he said. "Then, I'll do what I can to help you," said Chani. "I noticed some activity from unknown vampires in certain spots in the US so I'll talk to various contacts in different parts of the US," he said. "Just keep Rowoon happy, I'd hate to see him revert to his old ways because of you," he said. Daniel nodded and Chani headed back inside.

He stood there for a couple minutes, contemplating what he had been told before turning when Rowoon came outside. "Jaehyun wants you to get dinner," said Rowoon. Daniel snorts. "He burnt the food again," he said, before going inside and yelling to text him what everyone wanted for dinner and grabbing his car keys and wallet. He checked to make sure he had his phone before heading out to the jeep, not really expecting Rowoon to follow as Rowoon went after him.

"Unanimous decision is..." Mumbled Daniel as he sat in the Jeep for a few minutes to get the texts from everyone. "McDonalds, alright," he said, starting the jeep and backing out of the driveway and driving to McDonalds.

"What brought you along anyway?" He asked as he drove. "Wanted to spend some alone time with you, as awkward as that sounds," Rowoon said with a chuckle. Daniel laughs. "Well," he said, pulling into the McDonald's parking lot and going through the drive through to order all the food and drinks. He paid for the food before pulling off to the side to wait on their food.

"So what's the story with the wolf?" Asked Rowoon. "Wonpil? What do you mean?" Asked Daniel. "I saw a lot of scars on his body the other day while I was out hunting, I was warned that he'd be out that day but," Rowoon said, shrugging. "Ah," said Daniel. "I don't know much but I know he lived in an abusive home before being found and rescued by another wolf named Sungjin," he said. "After a bit though he was found by Jaehyun and he moved to the states with him," he said, shrugging. Rowoon hummed in response.

"He seems more... Tolerant I guess, towards me than the others," he said. "That's just the front he puts up," said Daniel as there was a knock on the window of the Jeep. He opened the door and took the bags from the employee and handed them to Rowoon as he was handed more bags. "Thanks," he said, flashing a smile before closing the door and carefully putting all the bags of food into the back and having Rowoon balance all the drinks in his lap. He grabbed a Dr. Pepper for himself and started the jeep, backing out and driving off, heading home.

"So why the sudden interest in our resident wolf?" Asked Daniel. "I think those scars are from vampires," said Rowoon. "At least, I can somewhat tell," he said. A growl erupted from Daniel's chest as he clenched his hands into fists on the steering wheel. "Sorry," he grumbled as he heard Rowoon move away from him slightly. "If that's the case then we might have a problem in the future if they decide to come after him," he said. "I'll do what I can to try to find out who did this to him," said Rowoon. Daniel hummed in response as he drank some Dr. Pepper, stopping at a stop light.

There was a call and Daniel picked up, putting the phone on speaker as he put it on the dock. "What's up?" He asked. "I was told to call this number, is Rowoon there?" Came Zuho's voice. "Yeah," said Rowoon. "What's up hyung?" He asked. "We're all going out on a hunt now, if you want us to wait til you get home we'll wait," said Zuho. "Ah," said Rowoon as he turned to Daniel. "We're almost home, give me like 3 minutes," said Daniel as the light turned green, causing him to make a right turn. "Alright, we'll see you there," said Zuho before he hung up.

Daniel made sure to text the group chat to have some people come out to get the bags of food as he pulled into the driveway a couple minutes later. Yuta, Winwin and Haechan ran outside to come help get the food and drinks, with Yuta taking the drinks from Rowoon before going inside. Daniel grabbed bags and gave them to Winwin and Haechan before getting out of the jeep with his own bags. Rowoon got out and closed his door before going around and closing the door for Daniel. "Have fun," said Daniel before he headed inside. Rowoon nodded and went hunting with Zuho, Chani and Mark.

"Wonpil," said Daniel as he sat on the loveseat to eat his share of McDonalds. "Hm?" Asked Wonpil. "Erm, do you know who you were with before Sungjin found you?" Asked Daniel. Wonpil shook his head. "It's all a blur to me," he said. "Rowoon saw you the other day while he was hunting, he said those scars looked like vampires were doing things to you," said Daniel, glancing at Jaehyun to gauge his reaction. Jaehyun froze at the information, his eyes narrowing. "I don't remember that time," Wonpil said, sighing a bit. "No worries," said Daniel as he shrugs, returning to eating.

Rowoon came back after about an hour, after everyone had gone off to their rooms to do their own things. Daniel was still in the livingroom watching a movie when they came in. "Haechan's in his room," he said, glancing up to see them before turning his attention back to the TV. Mark, Chani and Zuho went to Mark's room. Rowoon sat beside Daniel and watched the movie with him.