Chapter 17

A 'Shifter's Story

"Daniel," Woojin said softly, trying to keep him from making a violent reaction. "We need to go," he said. "I'm not ready," Daniel said, whimpering. "I'm not ready," he repeated.

"Daniel," said Woojin. "Come on, we need to find her," he said. "We need to find her for your sake," he said. "Why... Why does it hurt so much?" Asked Daniel. "I don't know," said Woojin. "But we need to go," he said. Daniel wiped his tears with his shirt sleeve, spotting Rowoon's phone and grabbing it, holding it close. "Okay," he said after a few minutes. "We can go," he said, standing.

"Are you okay to drive?" Asked Woojin. "Yeah," said Daniel. "I just need a few minutes," he said. "Hongseob, stay with him," said Woojin. Hongseob nodded. "I'll see what I can get from Inseong's phone," said Woojin as he sifted through the ashes to find Inseong's phone. "Let's go back to the motel," he said once he found it. "Come on," he said. Daniel nodded and left with Woojin and Hongseob, heading back to the motel.

"How do I tell Chani that Rowoon's dead?" Asked Daniel as he turned to Woojin once they entered the motel room. "I don't know," said Woojin. "I don't want to tell him either but," he said, sighing. "Chani really cared for him," said Daniel as he stared at Rowoon's phone. Woojin went to look through Inseong's phone to see if he could find out where Jisoo was.

"Are you ready to face her?" Asked Hongseob. "I don't know," said Daniel as he looked at the ring. "I keep telling myself that I'm ready, but," he said, sighing as he put the necklace on.

He went to lay down and browse though Rowoon's phone, seeing various texts from his chats and one to Inseong. "Ah, Inseong was the one to contact him," he mumbled. "I saw," said Woojin as he went through Inseong's phone. Daniel found a video addressed to him and decided to watch it, seeing Rowoon in the thumbnail.

"Hey there," said Rowoon as he waved, a small smile appearing on his face. "I know what you're thinking, why the hell would I have a video addressed to you? Well, this is in case I ever die," he said. He moved around, and Daniel recognized the meadow that Rowoon had found.

"Just wanted to let you know that yes, I knew who was behind the killings the whole time, but I also knew that if I went along for the ride I would die from it," he said. "I was always a coward in Inseong's eyes, something that doesn't surprise me to be honest," he said.

"I'm sorry I did this, but hey, don't dwell on my death," he said. "I had some great memories with you Daniel, I hope that one day you'll find happiness," he said, waving again before stopping the recording.


The tears started a new, and Daniel curled up into a ball on the bed, trying to keep his sobbing quiet. Hongseob went over and rubbed Daniel's back, mumbling soothing words. Woojin could only watch, concerned for his long time best friend.

There was a knock on the door, causing Woojin to look towards it, blinking in confusion. "Who is it?" He called. "It's Jisoo," came Jisoo's voice. Daniel in a deep breath as Woojin turned to him. "L-Let her in," he mumbled. Woojin went to open the door.

"I was told you'd be here," said Jisoo as she walked in. "Hello Jisoo," mumbled Daniel as he sat up, wiping his face. "What brings you here?" He asked. "Inseong said to find you after his death," said Jisoo. "I regained my memories after I was turned," she said. "I see," said Daniel as he took off his necklace that held her ring. "That is why Rowoon said to give this to you then," he said, holding out the necklace.

"Are you sure you want me to have it?" Asked Jisoo as she looked unsure. "It'd be for the best," said Daniel. "Rowoon wanted me to be happy, let's see if we can finally have that happy ending we've been seeking since you had your wolf extracted," he said.

"Daniel," said Jisoo as she looked down. "I'm sorry," she said. "It's not your fault," said Daniel as he shook his head. "Take the necklace, and we'll make this work," he said. "We have to," he said. "For your sake or for our sake?" Asked Jisoo. "Ours," said Daniel. Jisoo walked forward and took the necklace from Daniel, putting it around her neck. Daniel smiled slightly, nodding.

He brought her into his arms, his face against her neck as he breathed in her scent. "I missed you," he breathed out. "I did too Daniel," said Jisoo as she wrapped her arms around him.

Woojin coughed, causing them to separate. "Ah, sorry," Daniel said, scratching the back of his head. "Woojin, this is Jisoo, Jisoo, this is Woojin, one of the best teammates I've ever had," he said. "Nice to finally meet the one who's kept my best friend sane for a few years," said Woojin as he chuckled some. "Yeah, we weren't expecting that to happen," Jisoo said, scratching the back of her head.

"Well, we'll head out tomorrow then," said Woojin as he turned to Daniel. "You got missions to turn in and we need to head back to South Korea," he said. "Say hi to Cory and them for me," said Daniel as he nodded. "Will do," said Woojin as he left with Hongseob.

Daniel sighed as he looked at Rowoon's phone again. "What's up?" Asked Jisoo. "I have to tell Chani, Rowoon's coven leader, about Rowoon's death," said Daniel. "Oh," said Jisoo. "Are you ready for that?" She asked as she sat beside Daniel. "I don't know," mumbled Daniel. "I'm right here," said Jisoo as she put her hand in his. Daniel nodded, taking out his phone and calling Chani, praying that it'd just be him on the line.

"Hello?" Came Chani's voice. "Chani, are you alone?" Asked Daniel. "I can be, hold up," said Chani as they heard a slight rustling sound. "Okay, what's up?" He asked after a few seconds. "Ah," started Daniel as he paused. "Well, Rowoon's dead," he said. "What?" Asked Chani. "He's dead," said Daniel. "God damn it," said Chani as they heard him punch something. "That idiot promised," he snarled out.

"It wasn't my fault," said Daniel. "Inseong was the one to kill him," he said. "I figured," said Chani as he sighed. "You wouldn't be that stupid," he said. "When are you coming back?" He asked. "Tomorrow, and tell Jaehyun that I'm bringing my mate to meet him," said Daniel. There was a pause. "Jisoo's alive then?" Asked Chani. "Yes," said Jisoo. "You better not make his death be in vain or I'll rip you apart myself," said Chani. "Don't worry," said Jisoo.

"What should I tell the others?" Asked Chani. "Don't tell them anything," said Daniel. "I want to tell them myself," he said. "Zuho is not going to be happy," said Chani. "I know," Daniel said, sighing. "See you tomorrow then," said Chani. "See you," said Daniel before he hung up.