TEEN AGE 30 - THE PROMISE

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

Irene 


Seulgi carefully drying my wounds on my stomach, on my shoulders and on my legs using a white towel. She always ask me if I'm okay and if I'm still hanging in there before proceeding to another wound. 


I know because I can feel it, that she's having a hard time seeing me with bruises. Yes, we argued. Yes, we fought. But she never raised a hand to me before, and I think that is one of the reasons why she wanted me to let her pay back. 


No. Of course not, I don't want to. I don't want her to attack Siwon because first, she's a woman. Even if how many times we will calculate it, man is still stronger than woman, in terms of strength, yes. And second, if Siwon will also attack her, it makes the two of us. It is just the worse scenario. I'm enough. I don't want to put her life in danger. I know, I have to decide and I have to make a move against Siwon as soon as possible. But as of now, I wanted to cherish our time. Now that we are back together again. 


"What are you thinking?" She wondered out of nowhere. 


"Hmmm," I put a finger on my chin. "I'm thinking about you." 


"What about me?" 


"Just you," I said. "I was thinking about the things I love about you." 


"Things?"


"Yeah," I said. " I love how you tangled your hands to mine. I love your smile. I love the smile you are giving me when I'm down, and I know you wanted to cheer me up by doing that. I love how you look everyday. I love how soft your voice is when you're talking to me." 


She laughed silently. "I just raised my voice to you earlier. It was not soft." 


"Well," I shrugged. "I did too. So what?" 


She smiled. 


"Just like that!" I pointed her lips which she was slightly taken aback. Her eyes widened. "That kind of smile." 


"You're acting like a kid again." She said. 


"I can do anything I want, most especially when I'm with you." 


"Is that the reason why you kissed me first?" She said jokingly, a curve shaped showed on the side of her lips. 


I punched her to her shoulder, pressing my lips together, trying not to let out a laugh.


"You're blushing!" She said out loud. Making me guilty.


I quickly turned my head to her to give her another punch but she was quicker to get out from the bed. "Oh my God, Joohyun! Look at your face. My name is written everywhere there." She continued. 


I get the pillow on the bed and throw it to her direction but she dodge it. 


"Was that pillow another love confession from you? If yes, I'll take it." 


I shot her a look. "You really wanted me to confess my feelings for you? My real feelings? Because for all I know, you will shake again for sure." 


She smiled, but with a little disappointment. "I know," she said in a small voice. She open the door of her huge closet and revealed an abundance of clothes.


"Wow," was I said.


From gowns, to jackets, to tshirts, to tank tops. From pants, to shorts, to mini shorts, to skirts. But what mesmerized me the most was, everything was arranged according to styles and colors. It's surprising to see a person that is very well arranged nowadays. And the urge to ask her suddenly came to me. 


"Seulgi?" I called. 


"Hmm?" She said while scanning the clothes, finding a pair for me to wear. 


"Are you an OC?" I said silently. 


She paused for a while, I guess it was almost a minute, before she start scanning the clothes again. 


"Is that bad?" She said in a low voice, sounded distress.


"No, no, no," I said, shaking my head hastily like she can see me. I think I offended her there. I get out from the bed and walked towards her. I wrapped my arms around her waist. "Being an OC is not an issue in our relationship. I will love you no matter what your problems are because I know we will face them together." I spelled out. 


She scoffs. "You just said that because you don't completely know me." 


"Then, help me know you even more. Open your doors for me. Let me enter your world." 


"You're joking, right?" She laughed slightly. Acting like she doesn't believe what I said.


"I'm serious, Seulgi. I'm being serious." 


She looked at me in the eyes for a while like she was testing me. 


Suddenly, she reciprocated my embraced and hug me even tighter, but she doesn't say a word. It was just like that. Then, she put her head to my shoulder and give my cheek a peek. 


I wanted to say more but her action told me not to and it bothered me a little. Maybe I'm just being paranoid here. 


"Aren't you sleepy?" She spoke after a while. I nod. "Then, you better take some rest." She pulled me away from her to look at me in the eyes. "Don't attend school tomorrow. I will take you to the hospital." 


I shake my head. "I won't." I said. 


"Why?" 


"I already told you, I'm okay. These wounds will heal eventually." 


She inhaled deeply. "You are a stubborn lady." I just look at her. "Or maybe you're used to this and you already know your body's capacities." 


I didn't say a word. 


"Silence means yes." 


"Sometimes, it means no too." I argued. "Please stop thinking that way, Seulgi. Let's not argue anymore, please." I know she had a point there, I know she was right that I'm used to this. 


But if we are going to the hospital, the doctors will ask me where did I get these and if I said it was made by the man named Siwon, it will make me like a fool. They might laugh at me.


"You're lucky that I missed you." She said silently. 


I just hug her waist. 


To my surprised, she carry me like a bride and gently put me to the bed without untangle her arms to my body. She put my head above her arm and even pinned me closer to her. She wrapped her other hand to my waist and gently tapping my back while quietly humming beside me. She put her chin on my forehead. She's like a mother making her baby sleep.


"Seulgi?" I called silently. I slowly wrapped my arms to her waist too. 


"Hmm?" 


"If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up." 


She laughed silently. "Then you're killing yourself if that's the case." She said jokingly but her voice sounded a little serious. Like the worries she had for me are still there in her head, in her heart.


I put my hand to her chest, between her s, and silently speak, "Whatever you have in here..." I look up to her where she met my eyes. "Release it. Take it away." 


She just looked at me, deadpan. 


"I don't want you to take revenge, Seulgi. I just want us to have a peaceful time together. No more madness. No more resentment. No more bitter feeling. Let's just move on." 


She put her chin back to my forehead and embraced me even tighter. She pinned my head to the crook of her neck.  She heave a sigh. 


"Seulgi?" I looked up to her, only to see that she's already in a deep sleep, mouth ajar. 


I just sighed. 


I brush my thumb to her smooth and silky face. "You are always ravishing, awake or asleep." A curve shape showed on my lips. "I love you." I whispered, then wrapped my arms to her waist. Put my head in the crook of her neck in the most comfortable way. 


I hope you're always on my side, sunrises and sunsets. I want to see your face the moment I wake up, and to kiss you good night before I fall asleep. 


I closed my eyes. Somehow, it is true that when you are hugging someone you love, you will fall asleep easily. 


*********


This was my first time to woke up feeling so cold and alone. But I shouldn't have to think about it because I'm pretty sure Seulgi is on my side right now. 


Wait... 


"Seul?" I run my hands the other side of the bed to know if Seulgi is really beside me. But I touched no one, nothing but the pillows and bed sheets. I quickly opened my eyes and yes, I confirmed, I'm alone in this cold room. "Seul?" 


She’s just in the living room, right? Is she? 


I hastily lifted myself up to get out from the bed and look for Seulgi in the living room. 


"Seulgi?" I called when I was finally got out from her room, but she wasn't there. I run towards the kitchen and it was also empty. 


She did not... 


I shook my head to get away my thoughts. 


I checked all the doors in her villa but just like before, she wasn't there. 


I rushed back to her room and hastily wear her white trench coat. I just noticed that her black leather jacket and her black cap are missing on the top of her cleopatra, that was on the bottom of her king size bed. 


I rushed to the gate while secretly praying that she did not do something ridiculous, something like she suggested yesterday night. 


*******


Seulgi 


I know that I shouldn't break the promise I left to Joohyun. But. I didn't respond in the first place, which left me with two choices: One, to follow what her heart desires, to just ignore everything and move forward, together, peacefully. That what's she proposed to. But, the bitter feeling inside my chest is still boiling. I can't even breathe or sleep yesterday night. And this left me with second choice: Follow what my heart desires, to let Siwon pay back for everything. I am not mad because until now, Joohyun hasn't given her all to me. No, I didn't ask for that. I understand her situation. She isn't my property. She can still do whatever she wants in her life. But I still remember, those memory is still very vivid. She was shaking badly when my hand reaches her spot, between her legs. She wanted to keep going but the expression on her face tells me not to. She was having a hard time in breathing, like she's suffocating. Her face was so lifeless like I'm about to abuse her. Her lips were so dry and the bids of sweats on her forehead keep dropping. That is when I realized, I am not the only one of those people who choose to keep a deepest secret in their lives. Not wanting to share it to everyone because we think it can only put as in a more dangerous situation. 


So, I made a choice today. I know this is a life or death situation but I won't regret this if I die today fighting for Joohyun. I love her. I just can't say it. 


If God will still let me meet her today after I finished my plan, I'll take it as a greatest gift of my life. 


I rushed directly to the fourth floor where the office of my main target is located. I had my quick research to check the rooms inside this building. Asking the information might put me in more dangerous state. There was a woman, speaking to the other line using a telephone when I reached the room of my target. I didn't wait for her to let myself in. I immediately opened the door and luckily, it was opened. 


"You are not allo---" She didn't finish her sentence when I slammed the door in front of her face, catching the attention of the second man I resented the most in this world. I smirked while secretly locking the door behind me. 


He was surprised for a while but managed to mirrored my smile. "Oh, hello there." He joked. He seated to his comfy chair and swaying it a little. 


I glared at him. If glaring can kill a person, he's probably having a funeral right now. But it wasn't that easy. 


He put his legs on the top of his table and crossed it. "What makes a trash come here?" He said. I clenched my fists. "Are you here to claim the warranty of your girlfriend," He quoted in the air when he mentioned the word girlfriend. "...because she came home damaged?" 


That is when I rushed towards his direction, jumped above his table and immediately gave his face a hard punch that made him fell on the ground. His eyes suddenly change from admire to regret. His lips burst and the blood started to fell from it. He gulped hugely. He already had an idea what kind of a person he's facing right now. 


He doesn't know that I am the one underground fighter his toys cannot defeated, even if it took him heaven and earth to find the perfect fighter to defeat me, he always failed miserably. 


We always wear a mask when we are fighting in the battle, and the one who broke a bone and crash the opponent's mask will win. Because I still didn't have lose in the game, he still didn't see my face. But if he did just in case, he might run to escape death right now. 


"That is for touching Irene." I said in a monotone. Oh God, it is so foreign for my mouth to mention Joohyun's other name. It feels like she's not the one I'm talking about here. 


He started crawling but I'm slowly following him from behind. 


I grabbed his glass nameplate on his table. Carrying it with me while planning what should I do to him in the next few hours. 


I cut the line of his telephone in case he'll call his secretary later. 


"My guest was right." He said. "That you two are had something!" He shouted. 


My eyes widened and the urge of finishing him rising to my head. I hit his head using the nameplate. But he suddenly raised his arms, shielding my attacked. But that doesn't mean he successfully dodge my attack. In fact, it broke his one arm and it bleed badly. He was crying in despair. 


Isn't it funny? He was the one who was laughing earlier and now he's crying like a kid, who lost a toy. 


"That is for the bruises in her shoulders." I clenched my teeth as I speak while grasping his nameplate that didn't break. 


He look at his now broken arm and cannot believe what just happened. He was crying, mouth slightly open, heavy breathing. The look on his face makes me want to hit him more. 


"Gr-grace? Grace!" He called. That is probably the name of his secretary. The urge to suddenly hit me. 


"So, Grace is her name, huh?” I said silently. He quickly turned his head to me with fear on his face. "You know what, it might take at least thirty minutes to her to open the door. I broke your doorknob." I said in a monotone. "It will take at least five minutes for her to realized that the door is broken. She will call the security through her phone and that will take her at least three minutes to explain what happened. The security will use the stair and because your office is located at the fourth floor, I don't know how dull you were to planned to settle in this floor, it will take them at least twenty minutes to reach here. So approximately, I still have twenty-five minutes to finish your life, sadist." I smirked. I wanted him to be in a deep fear and wish the God to kill him immediately, than to make him suffer even more. But because I am not a God, I will choose the latter. 


"You are a monster!" He shouted as loud as he can.


"And what are you?" I said. "If I'm a monster, what do you call yourself then?" I widened my eyes while glaring at him. "Answer my ing question!!" He slightly jumped from his position when I raised my voice. "You raised a hand to her. No. You punched her everywhere! You painted something that it shouldn't be in her body in the first place!" I grabbed his collar and pulled him closer to me. "You put a reason to her head to make her hate herself. You are the reason why she treated herself an alien in this world. You made her think that the world she's living in is a ing disgusting world. Because you almost ed her you son of a !!!" I smashed the glass nameplate to his shoulder as hard as I can. He was thrown a little bit away from my position. 


He cried as loud as he can while holding the part of his shoulder that I hit. 


"That is for the bruises you left in her stomach." 


He was crawling, to I don't where but I just keep following him. But to my surprise, he suddenly pulled a gun to one of his side table and shot it directly to me. I was surprised for a while but I collected myself in a matter of seconds and luckily dodge the bullet. I lowered my head and use one of the sofa inside to cover myself. 


"Who's your daddy now, !?" I heard him shouted, then laughed maniacally. 


I know that I have to focus and listen to the wind to get an idea how will he attack me next. The blood on his nameplate that I'm holding right now is dropping, the only sound I could hear in this moment. 


"So what if I ed her!?" He suddenly spoke. I'm pretty sure he's going to the door because of his voice. "At least I claimed her! But what about you? I guest, the only thing you can do is to look at her hole!!!" He laughed. 


The laugh he's giving me made my body shake, not because of my trauma, but because my body is full of rage. 


I do not care about what will happen next, the anger inside of me made me jumped off from the sofa and attack him but to my surprised, he was already waiting for me, pointing a gun with a smirk on his mouth. It was too late to make another move when I was on the mid air when the bullet hit my shoulder. I dropped to the floor.


"Wooo! Bulls eye!" 


I suddenly felt the pain. The pain suddenly crawling from my shoulder to my entire body. I was flinching in pain, clenching the part of my shoulder where the bullet is on, trying to stop the blood from flowing. In my entire life of living, I didn't have a single idea how scary it is to face a gun. I lay myself by my front so I can crawl and reach for a now broken glass nameplate. 


"I'm the baddest , do you know that!?" Siwon claimed while he slowly pushing himself up from the ground. 


I lay on my back and glared at him. "Oh yeah?" I said sarcastically. I just realized, that this man in front of me, has a defect on his brain. He isn't normal. 


"Definitely yes!" He said. 


"Well then, catch this!" I said, then immediately throw the broken nameplate to his direction. His eyes widened but it didn't give him enough time to dodge it. It landed on his shoulder, his right shoulder. He fell by his knees. "Did you know that I am the baddest of all the baddest es in this world?" I teased while lifting myself up from the ground. Somehow, the blood that flows from his shoulder satisfied my soul. 


He was flinching. He is shaking. Probably because of the pain. I walked towards him and slouch down a few centimeters from him. 


I smiled. "That is for ing the most beautiful woman in this world." I said. "The only problem is, that most beautiful woman was already mine." 


"I don't think so," was the only thing he said when he suddenly grabbed me by my collar and elbowed my jaw. I lost my consciousness for a while and realized he was already holding my right hand and stick it on the floor. “Baddest of all the es, huh? Well, take this!” My eyes widened when he suddenly pulled the broken nameplate from his shoulder and smash it to my right hand.


I swear, I heard some bones broken. My hand was bleeding badly and all I could do is to hold it and hugged it while I was crying in despair silently. “!” I hissed. 


“I don't know what Irene saw in you but all I could see is a trash.” 


I quickly turned my head to Siwon's direction. Suddenly, the adrenaline rushed through my veins and helped me get up and grabbed him by his collar, but I failed miserably when I realized, I cannot clenched my fist anymore. It hurts so much and it is shaking badly. It was like, I cannot controlled it anymore. If I clenched it, it send chills to my shoulder and somehow, it send pain directly to my shoulder back bone. 


But that didn't stop me from avenging. I choked him and pushed him towards the wall. He cannot already move his body. Maybe because he loss plenty of blood. 


“You should thank the Gods that I didn’t kill you immediately for they know I have the enough strength to do that.” I said. I know I had to finish my sentence as fast as I could when he was out of breath and when I heard a rattling noises outside of the room. “The next time you will bother her life again, I will cut your head off immediately.” I warned. “Remember that.” I choked him more but he still managed to nod his head despite of everything. “This?” I elbowed his injured shoulder and pinned it which made him shout. “I will cut you more. Probably into pieces.” He shook his head and begged me to spare his life using his eyes. 


I released him. He fell off of the ground completely. He already lost more energy than he ever thought. All he could do right now, is to follow me while I'm leaving his office using his eyes. 


The door in front of me suddenly opened and many people pointing their guns at me. 


“Hands on the air!” They commanded which I didn’t follow. 


“Leave her.” Siwon demanded. “Leave her ing alone!” He raised his voice and that made them drop their arms. “Let her go.” They slowly made a way for me even if it's out of their will. I slowly walked away from the office and the last thing I heard before I totally left the room was, “Call a ing ambulance for me. Now!” Siwon demanded and his secretary immediately followed his order. 


“Seulgi?” 


Someone called my name that made me turned my head to its direction. But I immediately froze to my position when I saw who it was, couldn't process everything. What the hell is happening? Why is she here!? 

 

My eyes widened for a while but I shut them when I realized something. “So, you are working here too, huh?” I said, smirking. “What's new, right? You always block my ways.” 


“What did you do?” She throw me a question without answering mine. 


“It's none of your business, Hani.” I said, excusing myself. 


“If by any chance that you did this for Irene… you are crossing the line, Seulgi.” She said in a monotone. 


“The last time we talked, you told me that avenging our mother is a ridiculous thing. And now, here you are, lecturing me about crossing a line.” I laughed silently, still cannot believe that she's one of the employees here in Siwon's building. 


She nod. “Yes, because you don't have any idea what you are doing.” 


“Shut up, shut up, shut up!” I said, covering my ears. “I'm a grown up now. Don't tell me what to do or what not to do. Leave me alone!”


“Do you love her?” I paused. Slowly raising the pair of my eyes to meet Hani's. She nod, like she understand me but not really. “You are not really thinking straight then. Maybe, you’re clueless as me few weeks ago. Then, I will tell you now, you are totally crossing the line, Seulgi.” 


“What are you even talking about?” 


“I tried to tell you last time in the hospital but you left all of a sudden.” She said with a straight face. “You cannot be Irene's lover, Seulgi.” She inhaled deeply, then sighed. “Because Irene is our half sister.” 


I felt like my world stop spinning around. I felt like the time stops running. I felt like I am out of breath for a second there. 


Suddenly, all of the things I have done for Joohyun, all of the things we have done together, flashed to my mind. 


“I tried to tell you this as early as possible but you are stubborn as always.” Hani said. 


Irene is our half sister. Irene is our half sister. Irene is our half sister. How the come? 


“Back then, when I was young, before you were born, I always wonder why mother left us for a year and came back like nothing happened. I always asked her where she have been but she always give me her kind of smile.” Hani continued. “Until one day, I saw a picture of a baby girl in mother's wallet with an address and a name written on the back. Just last two weeks ago, I finally found out that the girl in the picture, who named Bae Joohyun, who lives in the address that was written on the picture, was definitely Irene, the Bae Joohyun who you felt in love with. That is why I have to stop you in avenging our mother because of this. That is why I acted like a bad older sister, stopping you from falling in love with Irene because she is our half sister.”


Somehow, I realized, that everything happened in my life was connected to Joohyun. 


I covered my ears using my hands. Pinning it hard, hoping I can minimized her voice. I lost some strength to my legs and it made me fell on the ground on my knees. 


Why? WHY!? ING WHY? “Why?” was all I could say. 


I love her. We were already okay with each other hours ago. We already confessed our feelings with each other. We are ready to face what our future brings together. But why? Of all the people I'm willing to die for… how did she became my half sister? How the hell I fell in love with my half sister?


Mother, you should have warned me in the first place! You shouldn't let me meet her in the first place!


Why is this happening to me? What have I done wrong in my past life to received all of these things? It is hard to fathom everything at once!


“Seulgi---”


“Shut up.” I whispered.


“Please, let me---” 


“For once, shut your ing mouth!!” I shouted, demanded. She jumped from her position but still didn't left me. I pushed myself from the ground and slowly walking away from her. 


I sighed heavily before I take the stairs. 


I thought I am done here, yet, another problem came to my life. No. Biggest problem of my ed up life. 


They were many eyes dotting at me when I was on the lounge of the building, walking towards the exit. I pushed the door and almost jumped to my position to my surprised when my eyes met a certain woman’s eyes, the woman whom the only reason why I rushed her. Her eyes was wet, as well as her cheeks. Her eyes was full of worries but there was also anger in it. I took it as a sign to make myself calm and to shove my hands inside the pockets of my leather jacket, most especially my right hand, while walking towards her. This is not the right time to discuss what I have just discovered earlier about my true relationship with her. I have to look like there's nothing happened to me. I have to look like I wasn't injured, so she won’t worry more. I have to act cool. Beside, she won't immediately realize that I have a huge cut on my shoulder because the blood camouflage the color of my leather jacket. I smiled. I have to. Though it is hard because of the pain. The more I get near her, the more visible the worry in her eyes is. She bit her lower lip, preventing herself from crying. 


I already decided. Nothing can stop me from loving her no matter what the circumstances are. I promised to love her to death. 


She ran to me and immediately wrapped her arms around me. My head suddenly rang badly. I inhaled deeply. I have to talk to her before it's too late. Before I lose my consciousness.


Or perhaps, before I die.


*********


Irene

 


Seulgi.

 

I was left frozen to my position when the girl I missed so much was already in front of me. I was worried sick then, but now that I already see her, it feels like some kind of a relief. 


She shove her hands to her leather jacket. 


She smiled, but with pain.


I took that as my signal to run towards her as fast as I can. It was just hours ago when we saw each other but I never thought I missed her this badly.


I literally throw myself to her which she immediately catch me with her arms. I automatically reciprocated her action. I dive my face to the crook of her neck. I missed her scent. But something is off.


“Where have you been, Seulgi?” I wondered out loud. 


She pinned me closer to her, pushed my head a little more closer to her neck, and place her chin on the top of my head. Little did I know, I was already sobbing. 


“Shhh,” was all she said after a while. My sobbing turned into a silent cries.  


“Why are you here in this building?” I said, more of whispering because her skin was blocking my mouth.


“I just got out from business, Joohyun.” She said softly.


“What busines---”


“Joohyun, I want you to listen to me. Please.” I was surprised when her voice sounded serious all of a sudden. 


“What is it?” 


She ran her hand to my hair. “Promise me, that whatever news you will hear in the next few hours, do not speak. Do not involved yourself. Just... don't speak.”


“What are you talking about?” I said, sounded a little distress. She scared the hell out of me. 


“I did it for your sake. But whatever it means, whatever it takes, do not involved yourself, Joohyun.” She begged.


“Enlighten me, Seul---” 


“Just promise me, Joohyun.” She said, sounded a little desperate. She cupped my face and pinned it closer to her. “Promise me.” She begged. 


The look on her face left me with no choice but to nod. “I promise.” 


She nodded. She stick our foreheads together. “One more thing.” She whispered. I felt her warm breaths. I looked at her orbs. “Don't give up on me.” I was surprised when tears started flowing from her eyes. “It might be foolish to do, idiotic for you, for us to continue, but please… do not give up on me.”


My hands made their ways to Seulgi's face, cupping her face too. “You're scaring me, Seulgi.” 


She laughed silently. “It was really crazy but please don't leave me.” She continued giving me a vague answer. “I want you to know that I will hold on you, hold on us forever.” She inhaled deeply. “I hate the thought of losing you again.” 


I shook my head while shutting my eyes. “I'm so confused. What are you even talking about?” I said. 


“This is really confusing but I don't have much time left.” She said. Somehow, I felt something blocked the air way of my body for a second there. “Besides, you will know what I am talking about eventually.” She continued. “I know my feelings for you is secured. The thing that I will ask from you is another promise.” 


I didn't answer. I could not. I don't know what to think because everything is so confusing. I just look at her. 


“Promise me that you will never let go of me.” She said. “Promise me that our love will be permanent and unbreakable.” She sounded like she was begging. 


“How can I promise---”


“Ju-just promise me, Jo-joohyun.” She stuttered. 


I suddenly felt the urged to hug her and I immediately did what my heart desired. I hug her as tight as I can. “I promise.” I said. 


She smiled. She kiss my lips softly before she completely fell on the cold hard ground...


Lifeless