TEEN AGE 15 - FOLLOW HER FOOTSTEPS

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

*** Irene *** 

 

"Siwon, come on!" I pulled my arm hard from his hand but he isn't giving up easily. "You're hurting me." I almost shout. 


"I just wanted to offer you a lunch." He protested, hand tight on my arm.


"And I declined it already!" I shouted but he is still not giving up my hand. "Siwon, stop! You're hurting me already!" He was about to pulled me to him but someone's hand suddenly grabbed his arm. 


"Pull over, kid. You're hurting the girl." 


I turned to see who it was and my heart almost escape from my chest. "Ms. Ahn." I said silently, wondering why she's here. She smiled quickly to me and get her eyes back to the man who is still holding my arm. 


"So, kid?" She said sternly. "Will you take off your hand from her or you want me to call the prefect for you?" She smirked. Somehow, it resembled Seulgi. "I prefer the latter." She said.


"You're out of story here, Miss." Siwon insisted while gritted on his teeth. "You don't know me. And by the way, who are you?"


Ms. Ahn smirked again but more sarcastically than before. "I'm afraid for you to know." She said. She hold Siwon's arm tighter than before that made Siwon almost shouted. She seemed strong. "I hate guys like you, kid. Take off." She demanded with more seriousness than before. And that left Siwon no choice. He finally let go of my hand. 


"You'll find your day, Miss." He threatened Ms. Ahn before left us in the field. She followed Siwon by watching him walking away. 


Wow. Her side profile isn't a joke. Her face covered the sun rays and the effect of the reflection is like a masterpiece. 


"You okay, Irene?" She asked. 


Her question brought me to back to the field. "A-ah, yeah," was all I managed to say. 


"Avoid those kind of people, Irene." She said silently with a very serious expression on her face. She looked at me. "Especially, you are a girl." The Ahn Hani I pictured before isn't the woman I am talking with right now. She turned to be a completely different person now. "Are you even listening?" She said while frowning. She scratches her head. I swear, this reaction of her reminds me of someone else. But I just can't figured who. "Hey," she snapped her fingers in front of my face. "You okay?" She raised her eyebrows for confirmation. 


I nodded my head. "Yeah, I'm okay." I said while gently rubbing my hands to my face. 


"You sure?" 


"Yeah," 


"By the way, Irene," she shoved her hands to her pockets and slowly walking away. I followed her. "I had a very bad introduction to you and to your friends as well." She said. "I don't wanna look like a unsociable teacher to you but you know, I didn't expect to see Seulgi there. We didn't see each other for ages." 


The day I first met her isn't really bad but the next one was surprising. They suddenly brawl but instead of using punches, they use words, piercing words that only them can understand. 


"You wanna grab some coffee?" Ms. Ahn smiled friendly while speaking. But I didn't know what to answer. I was remained starstruck. "Don't worry, Ms. Bae or should I call you Irene. How's that?" 


"Irene will do." 


"Okay." She said. "Wanna grab some coffee, Irene? My treat!" 


I swear, the way she smiled at me reminds me of a person but my memory is not certain who it was. "Okay." I smiled at her. 


She pointed the other empty seat that is opposite to her, telling me to sit over there. "I don't want her to see us." Ms. Ahn said silently. 


"Who?" 


She smiled at me sarcastically. "Seulgi." She said. I felt the heat from my neck arises to my cheeks. "Look at you," her voice made me look at her. "Your face tells me it's true." She gave a small laugh before asking what coffee I would like to order. 


"Mocha Latté." I said to Ms. Ahn when she stood up to get us coffee. 


She nodded and walk towards the cashier. When I saw her ordering at the counter, I grab the opportunity to fan my face using my hands because the heat on my cheeks. I quickly look at Ms. Ahn's direction when she's already looking at me, laughing. Worst, I tried to calm myself because of the effect her statement gave me earlier.


I sighed. I gave up. She already caught me. I will stop acting now. 


"You were cute when you tried to calm yourself, Irene." She said with a sarcastic smile on her face while putting my coffee near me.


I just rolled my eyes at her. "Thanks for the coffee, Ms. Ahn." I said and drink my coffee. 


"Just Hani." 


"What?" I said. 


"Hani, please." She said. "Don't be too formal when you're girlfriend is my relative." 


I almost spit my coffee from my mouth. "What?! Seulgi is your relative?" I asked. 


She laughed at me quietly. "So, the story is indeed true." She lowered her coffee. "Seulgi is really you're girlfriend, huh?" She said silently with a sarcastic smile on her face. I didn't answer her immediately when my brain is still processing about what just happened. She didn't mention the name Seulgi but just relative to tricked me. She gently nodded her head. "Your secret is safe with me, Irene."


I sighed. She caught me off guard again. "Yeah," I said, almost a whisper. "But things between us are off lately." 


"What do you mean?" 


"She's not talking to me lately. Even avoiding me." I drink my coffee. "We didn't talk for how many days. So, I'm not sure."


"Sure about what?" She said. 


"Well... if we are still in a relationship? She acted like she doesn't know me." I said. "I saw her the other day, she was with someone." 


"Someone. You mean a girl?" She said. 


I nodded. "She's eating with her. She walk her home. She totally forgot me." 


She gave a small laugh. "I didn't know you use your hands too much when expressing anger." She said between laughs. "You remind me of myself." 


"Oh really?" I said. "But, isn't it annoying when people left you behind without even saying what's wrong?" I said. "That's the thing I hate the most!" I half-screamed half-whispered. 


Hani was shock and look around us if anybody notice my noise. "Go on. No one's looking." She said jokingly. At this moment, I realized, she is an easy going person. I think we already clicked. 


I shook my hands in front of me. "My story is over. How about you, Ms. Ahn? I mean, Hani. Tell me about yourself." I said before I drink my coffee. 


"What about my life that you wanted to know?" 


"Uhm," I put my fingers to my chin while thinking. "Ah! How about your relationship to Seulgi?" I said, turning my voice into a serious tone. "You don't seem to get along when you met each other back in the office. But you told me you are both relatives. What kind of relative?" 


She drink her coffee and lower it to look at me while giving me a small smile. "Believe it or not, we are sisters. By blood." 


I almost spit my coffee but it went all the way down to my lungs. I gently punch my chest when the hotness of it hits me. 


"You okay?" 


I nodded. "Yeah," 


You get some tissue beside her and offer it to me. "Here." 


I took it and brush my lips. "Sorry about that."


She laughed. "Don't be. I know it is a shocking news." She said. She put her coffee on the table and get some tissue and brush it on my cheeks. "You have coffee on your cheeks." 


I was left frozen because of her sudden action. Just then, I realized, that all her actions and words reminds me of Seulgi. So, sisters have the same mannerism after all.


"Are you really sisters? By blood?" I asked silently while she is still taking off the dirt of my cheeks. 


"Yeah," she said. She seated down to her seat again. 


"How come you're not close to each other?" I said. "I mean, you don't seem to get along." 


She cleared . "Not all siblings are fond with each other. But, we have different case. We were close when we were young but she ran away from home and until now, she doesn't have plans to go home. Even if our father died years ago." She said while looking outside from the glass wall. 


"Sorry to hear that." I said. 


"It's okay," 


"So, you followed her here?" I asked after the long silence. She looked at me but didn't answer my question.  


She shook her head. "Nope, I didn't. Everything happens unexpectedly." 


"What made her left home?" I said. "I mean, she must have a reason." 


She looked at me for few seconds and leaned a little forward. "Our mother was murdered 12 years ago. She was with her when she was murdered." Her brown eyes met mine, digging a deep hole. 


I blinked fast after realized we stare at each other's eyes for a long minute. I leaned away from Hani's face and trying to calm myself. She did the same while drinking her coffee, never left her eyes on me. 


Yes. Seulgi and Hani are sisters, have the same mannerism but they give a different vibe, especially to me. Seulgi is more friendlier compared to her older sister. But, wait. 


"If you're sisters, why you have different surnames?" I said. But, I have a point after all. Or maybe, she's lying to me. 


"My aunt adopted me because she can't bare a child. That's why my surname changed." She said. "But, that happened after my father died." 


"Does she know?" 


"Who?" she said. 


"Seulgi." 


She nodded. "She seemed updated to my life." 


"Did she attend?" 


"Attend what?" She raised her eyebrows for inquiry.


"To your father's funeral." I said. I don't want to ask this kind of question because it seems to be personal but a part of me wanted to know. I wanted to know what kind of person Seulgi was or Seulgi is. 


She gently shook her head. "She didn't." was all she said. 


"Why? Did you ask her? It's your father." 


"I didn't ask her and I don't want to." She said. "I want her to open it up to me and tell me why and why not... with her own will. Technically, she's the one to blame."


I couldn't comment. Her hatred and love towards Seulgi is fighting on each other inside her heart and she can't help but wait for Seulgi to talk first. So, everything's be on control. 


"Do you want me to talk it out to her?" I asked. She might wanted my help. "I know it's a family issue but... if you don't mind me helping you." 


But she shook her head. "Don't say a single word to her." Her voice was full of demand. "Just let it be." 


"Okay," 


"Oh, before I forgot." She get a small piece of paper from her pocket and offer it to me. "Here." 


I get it from her hand. "What is this?" I asked. 


"It's tickets for the dance competition next week." She said. "I got five tickets for you and your friends." She stood from her chair. "I need to go. I still have class." 


"Thanks for these, Ms. Ahn." I said before she walk away but she made a face telling me not to call her like that. "I mean, Hani. And thanks for the coffee by the way."


She raised her hand over her head to say good bye. "No worries. Until next time!" she said while waving her hand. 


I titled my head. "See you," and raised my hand to bid my good bye too. She finally left the canteen. 


I sighed. A part of my brain is still processing the information I heard earlier. They don't physically resemble at all but they actions and words were the same. 


I looked outside of the canteen when I saw a familiar figure. I was right. It was Seulgi. 


I was about to stood from my chair when I saw her talking to someone. They were laughing like they were close. I didn't have any idea that she already have friends here at school, or should I say special friend. The way she look at the girl is kind of special. Her eyes sparkles. I wonder if she look at me that way too. 


What should I do? I do really missed her so much! Her eyes, her smiles, her inside jokes and the comfort she's serving me. 


What exactly do you want, Kang Seulgi?


*********


"And here's for you, Jennie." I gave all of my tickets to them after we finished the meeting. 


"Did Seulgi give you this?" Jennie suddenly asked while looking at the ticket. "Why not giving it to us personally?" 


"Yeah. And speaking, we haven't seen her lately." Sooyoung joined in. "Are you two okay?" 


I looked at Jisoo, signaling her that I needed some help in this topic. She is aware we aren't good lately. She wink her eyes to me secretly. "You know what?" She said. "She---" She didn't finish what she was going to say when the door in the office suddenly slammed open. 


Speaking of the devil, there she was, carrying a couple of plastic bags which I don't know what's inside, featuring her squishiest smile. "Hey guys! Foo---" Her words died when she saw me. I was about to turn my head to the other girls, knowing she won't greet me, when she give me her brightest smile while saying, "Afternoon, Joohyun." I felt my internal organs are started to rumbled like crazy. I didn't respond to her because I was starstruck.


"What is that, Seulgi?" Jisoo asked while pointing to the plastic bags. 


"Food." She said. And that wasn't it, she seated beside me. Why not? When I was the nearest to her position. "Can you pass these to them, Joohyun?" She said silently while giving me the plastic bags. Probably, it was only really intended to me. I nodded. Our shoulders touches whenever I'll get the plastic bags she offered. 


"Wow! Dumplings!" Sooyoung exclaimed because of happiness. 


Rosé, whom was seated beside Sooyoung, hastily opened the plastic bag to confirm what's inside. "Seulgi, another one point for you!" Rosé said. "This is our favorite!"


"One point for what?" I asked but nobody answered. They started eating instead.


"By the way, Seulgi," Jennie said. "Why not giving us these tickets personally? Why pass it to, Irene?" She raised the ticket I gave her. The other girls turned their head to Seulgi.


Seulgi looked at me, her eyes are asking what does Jennie mean. Luckily, my senses quickly responded. "Seulgi, didn't give it to me. It was Ms. Ahn." I suddenly remembered what Hani told me earlier, about her and Seulgi as sisters. I shook my head to set things aside. 


"Ms. Ahn? As in Ms. Ahn Hani?" Jisoo said. I nodded. "You two are close?" 


I shook my hands in front of me. "No, we aren't." I smiled. How am I supposed to say that Hani rescued me from Siwon and revealed a secret that I'm enabled to share? 


I almost jumped from my chair when Seulgi put her hand to my shoulder. "You both talk?" She said almost a whisper. 


"Yeah," I said, "Infact, she bought me a coffee." Almost a whisper too. Our eyes met. 


I felt other's eyes were on us but I decided not to care. 


She looked at me for a very long time and gently nodded her head. She stood from her chair. "Guys, enjoy your meal." She hook her bagpack to her shoulder. "I need to leave. We still have a practice." 


"How about a single bite, Seulgi?" Jennie suggested. "You brought these but you didn't eat." I nodded my head, agreeing to what Jennie meant to say. 


"I'm okay," She raised her hand to say good bye. "Bye." And she finally left the place.


"Why is she in a hurry?" Sooyoung said. "She still have 30 minutes before her practice will start." 


"Just let her." Jisoo said while chewing her food. I pointed my mouth to tell her to finish her food before speaking. She did what I asked for. But all of a sudden, she tilted her head towards the door. I raised my eyebrows for inquiry. "Follow her." She mouthed after confirming no one is looking at us. 


"Ah." I mouthed when I already get what she said. I hooked my bag and immediately left the office. "See you tomorrow, girls!" I declared. 


"Yeah, bye. Take care." Jisoo supported my excuse. She signal me to follow her faster. But when I was finally out from the office, Seulgi wasn't there anymore. I look around, check all the alleys and hallways near from the office but she wasn't there as well. I get my cell from my pocket and called her but she isn't answering it. "Seulgi, please." I whispered to myself but still nothing is change. 


I suddenly remembered what she said earlier. I rush to the gym but her presence isn't there as well. I ran to their dressing room just to see her dancemates only, no Seulgi. 


"Is Seulgi here?" I asked. They shook their head almost the same time. 


"She's not attending the practice today." Beka said, one of the dancer who was fixing her socks. 


"Why?" 


"We don't know. She just told Ms. Ahn." She said. 


I sighed. "Thanks." was all I could say before leaving the room. "Where are you?" I whispered to myself. 


All of a sudden, I saw Krystal not far from where I am. I was about to run towards her when a part of my head decided to just follow her instead. 


And just like that, after a few minutes of hiding behind her, we finally reach her home.