TEEN AGE 24 - DESPERATE

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

The automated door of the hospital opened when I stepped my foot near it. I entered the building, all eyes on me, walking straight to the room Jennie texted me. 


Some people started murmuring once I passed by to them. But I ignored it. It is not the important matter to think about. My best friend just got out from the operating room and her condition is what scares me the most. 


"Seulgi," Jennie called while putting her hands to cover her slightly opened mouth. "What the hell happened to you?" She said, eyes widened.


I walked towards her. "Where's Krystal?" 


"Inside." 


I was ready to open the door when Jennie grabbed my arm, the one with a huge cut that I got when Sulli threw the table at me, and pulled me to her. I flinched and she noticed it. "You will never get inside unless you're going to tell why you have so much blood in your shirt. And look," she pulled up my shirt, I shivered when the cold air touches my skin. "Where the hell did you get these wounds? Are you painting your body with bruises?" 


I silently grunted when her hand touched one of my wounds I got in my stomach. I hold her arm and pushed it down to cover my body. "Promise me one thing, Jen. Please don't tell Joohyun that you saw me like this, covered with blood and bruises." 


She frowned. "Seulgi, how can you perform tomorrow?" 


"Jennie, listen to me," 


"I can't keep this to Irene. She will attend your competition tomorrow." Jennie continued. 


"She won't. Jennie, just... hear me out!" 


Finally, I got her full attention when she looked at me in the eyes. 


"Please," 


"Okay, okay, okay," she nodded her head. She raised her eyebrows.


"I had been in a fight." 


"Are you insane?" Jennie's voice raised and she noticed it. She glanced around, only to see few stares were already at us. "Fight, what fight?" She whispered.


"I know who did this to Krystal and to her mother, so I have to cut the ties. And by doing that, I have to fight them." I explained. "But it doesn't matter now, I already won." 


"Hold up!" She put her hands to her side and shook her head. "Is this a fight like a fight that I'm thinking right now?" 


I didn't respond. 


"Jesus Christ!" She covered with her hands, like her mind is already finished filling the holes. "What have I done? Why did I left you there alone? She might get mad." She whispered, especially the latter.


"What do you mean?" 


"Nevermind," she shook her head while clenching her teeth. She suddenly pulled me hastily. "Now, follow me."


"What the hell are you doing?" I said. 


"You need to see a doctor. You badly need medication, Seulgi." She turned to face me. "I'm not blind. I will take you to the doctor whether you like it or not." 


I took off her hand of me. "No, thanks. I'm okay. I can handle myself." I said silently, turning my back, walking towards Krystal's room. 


She ran to blocked my way. "Are you crazy? Hello? You are definitely not okay, Seulgi." She said, sounded annoyed. "Did you see the stares people are giving you? The way they react to see a lady coated with bloods?" 


I put my hands in front of me. "No, I'm really okay." I traveled my eyes, only to see that some of the patients are talking to the nursing station while pointing their fingers at me. Perhaps, they to called for help. 


"No, you're not." Jennie said.


"Oh my God," I muttered. "I thought Joohyun was the only one who always nags. No wonder, you two are friends." I said while massaging my temple. 


"Seulgi, you really need to see a doc---" 


"Uhm, excuse me." 


Jennie didn't finish her words when a nurse suddenly called our attention. We both turned our heads to face the nurse. 


"Yeah?" we said in unison. 


"Your patient is already awake." She informed. 


I immediately ran towards the door. "How was she?" I said. 


But the nurse didn't answer me immediately when she traveled her eyes to me, from head to toe. 


"How was she?" I asked again and thankfully, I got her full attention back. 


"She's fine. She's recovering." The nurse said. "By the way, I think you need to see a doc---" 


I cut the nurse off. "Thanks but no thanks." I said silently. "I'm okay, don't worry." 


But she ain't leaving me easily when she looked to Jennie, trying to ask some help to convince me to see a doctor. 


"Oh, come on. I'm definitely fine." I said once again, sounded annoyed this time. "Jen, can I borrow your jacket?" 


Jennie sighed, giving up from argument. She tilted her head to the nurse to tell her to leave us alone. Fortunately,  the nurse followed her orders. "What's your plan?" She said. 


"What plan?" 


She shrugged. "Are you going to see Krystal looking like a ? Hello?" 


I laughed silently. "What? No." I said. "She will probably kill me. That's why I asked to borrow your jacket." I want to cover myself with the Jennie's jacket. It is the best that I can do for the moment.


Her eyes widen. "You will wear it?" 


I raised my eyebrows twice while beaming from ear to ear. She sighed. She take off her leather jacket and gave it to me. 


"I'll give it back." I said while grinning because of the face she's making. 


"Just make sure you'll wash it before giving it back to me." 


"Of course," I tapped her back after I wore her jacket. 


She nodded, signaling me to get inside the room. 


My heart rate suddenly quickened. There is nothing more scarier than looking at my best friend's situation where she lied in bed, half conscious. The cuts on her face were already treated, as well as the bruises on her shoulders and on her collarbone. But I can still feel the pain she's feeling, just by looking at her. 


Maybe this is the advantage of having a best friend for so long. Just one look, and we already know what's on our minds, no further explanations needed. 


But today, at this moment, I suddenly hope we aren't like that. She sacrificed herself for me. She sacrificed her home and her family. 


I should be the one who's lying there, in pain, with all the wires they stuck on her. I should be the one who is half conscious and not my best friend. 


"Hey, Krys," I said silently when I finally closed the door. 


She slowly opened her eyes. I swear, every twinkle her eyes is making, is every beat my heart raises because of nervousness. 


But her eyes suddenly widened when it landed on me. Maybe shocked to see me. Her gaze traveled all over my face, like she's having a facial check up. She raised her hand, two fingers signaled me to come closer. I did her request, only to be pulled hastily to her. 


"What stupidity did you do?" She said silently. Although her voice was hoarse and small because of the oxygen she's wearing. I can still feel the madness in every word, the tone that she always used to demand an honest answer from me. 


"Hey, chill." I said but she pulled me even closer to her. "You're choking me." 


That is when she loosen up the grip. Although her eyes were not completely opened, the fire is still burning in her orbs. If staring can kill a person, I am definitely having my funeral right now. 


I lowered my head, guilty of the wrong thing I have done an hour ago. I cannot even look her in the eyes.


"Tell me," Krystal's tone changes that it made me glanced at her, only to see tears on the side of her eyes. "Tell me, what did you do?" 


I hold her hand, the one that's holding my collar, and squeezed it. "Krys," 


"What?" She raised her voice, probably because she's worried. 


"I lost control." I said silently. "I... I fought them. I almost killed them." I brushed the tears away but it keeps falling back. "Sulli... I..." I choked from my own tears. "I broke her hand and it was really too late when I realized it." 


Her eyes widened after hearing the news. The smoke on her oxygen mask that she's wearing became solid white. It tells me, she is in a deep shock. 


She suddenly wrapped her arms around me, tighten her hug to me. "Shhh," she said. "How are you?" 


"I'm fine," I said. "Why were you under your bed earlier?" 


"To hide,"


"Did they really planned to kill you?" 


She didn't answer me, instead, she suddenly squeezed my arm so tight that made me shout in agony. It was the one that has a big wound.


"The hell, Krys!?" 


"You said you were just fine." She frowned. "Well, definitely not." 


A red liquid spread on my shirt which made her surprised. She pulled my shirt up and was in awe to see the painting of bruises on my stomach. Well, that is what Jennie called it. 


"What the hell exactly happened?" 


I was about to speak again when the door behind me slammed opened. I turned my head and regret it right after I saw who it was. She glanced at me, to Krystal and back at me again. Krystal was shocked just like her when their eyes met. 


"How fast the night changes." I stood up from my chair and walked closer to her. She didn't respond immediately because she was shocked to see my face, not because she didn't expect her sister to be here, but probably because my face was full of cuts of wounds.


"What happened to you?" Hani asked. She traveled her gaze to my face.


"What brought you here?" I said in a monotone. "You are not invited in this party." 


I may sound crazy but I wanted to protect my best friend from my sister. They both shared an unlovely past, and seeing each other cannot resolve everything. 


When I noticed the change of the face of my best friend, that was my cue to pulled Hani out of the room. 


"What happened to her?" Hani said after we got out. 


"Did you hear me earlier?" I said, sounded serious. "I asked you first, why are you here?" 


She was hesitate to answer but she answered anyway. "To check her out," 


"Check her out? What are you? Girlfriends?" 


She glared at me."Is it necessary to be her girlfriend to check her out? And why are you so strict? What are you? Her mother?"


I suddenly felt the need of oxygen to my body when my breathing became unstable, I choked, and the choking turned into a coughing. I lose the strength of my legs and fell on the ground on my knees. I inhaled deeply and exhaled deeply, but nothing's change. It isn't getting better. I punched my chest, keep punching my chest, to help my agony get out from it. But it's getting worse. 


"Seulgi?" Hani called. She lowered her face to level mine. 


I have to inhaled for a long time to gain some air but it didn't help me. 


"Seulgi? Are you okay?" Hani was tapping my back, maybe to help me ease the pain. 


Suddenly, my body starts trembling, shaking, it's like I'm having a seizure. 


"Seulgi!" Someone's voice echoed on the place. I looked up, only to see a worried Wendy running to our direction. But before she could reached me out, I totally fell on the ground, lose control from my own body because I was shaking badly, head to toe. "Seulgi!" Wendy was now embracing my body. 


"What is happening?" Hani was worriedly asking Wendy. "She suddenly---"


"It's a reaction." Wendy said while putting my body on her lap. 


"Wh-what reaction?" 


"From her trauma." Wendy said. She's shaking and sometimes hugging me when she noticed the shakiness became intense. "Please, call for help. Please!" 


Hani was startled when Wendy raised her voice. But she quickly lifted herself up and run towards the nearest nursing station. 


"Hang in there, Seulgi." Wendy whispered while tighten her embrace to me. 


Suddenly, few nurses came to us. They carefully pulled me up and put me to a stretcher. 


"Please, do whatever it takes." I heard Hani said.


"We will do our best." The nurses replied. 


They pushed the stretcher for I don't know where when my vision becomes blurry and I suddenly cannot hear everything around me. Moving an inch, even a finger is so tiring to do. 


The last thing I heard was the closing of the doors before I totally blackout.


*********


I heard murmurs around me, but I cannot determined where is it from or who made it. 


Cold. It's kind of cold here. 


Where am I?


"Seulgi?" 


I heard someone's calling me.


"Seulgi? Are you awake?" 


I cannot determined who it was but I'm sure that there is one person in the place where I am.


A striking light suddenly kissed my cheeks. I felt the heat from it. 


"Seulgi?" 


I slowly opened my eyes, only to see a blurry view. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust from the lights. 


"Where am I?" I said.


"You're in the hospital." 


"What am I doing in the hospital?" I said while pushing myself up from the bed to sit. 


"You fainted earlier." 


I turned to see who the person was but raged is what run through my veins when I saw who was sitting beside me.


"Don't touch me!" I half whispered hoarsely. I stopped her in putting her hand to my shoulder when I noticed her hand was about to land on me. "Why are you still here?" I asked annoyingly.


"Why are you so mad at me when we just save your life?" Hani said with soft voice. 


That is when I remembered that she wasn't indeed alone. Wendy was here. "Where is she?" I asked. 


"Wendy, you mean?" She said but I didn't respond for believing she already know who I was talking about. "She's out. She volunteered to buy some food even if I insisted."


I pulled the wires that was connected on me hastily. 


"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Hani half screamed while stopping me.


I was ready to get out from the bed when she grabbed my arm.


"Where are you going?" 


"Away from you." I said in a monotone. 


"Where?" She said again. Here face was serious. 


"I don't know." I said. I tried to pulled my arm from her but she isn't letting it loose. "What's your problem, Hani?" I half screamed. 


"You are my problem." She said seriously.


I laughed. "Isn't it funny that I have the same answer?" 


"No," She pulled me closer to her. "Seulgi, come back." She said, almost a whisper.


"To where?" I asked sarcastically.


"To being the Kang Seulgi I know." 


I was caught off guard. I wasn't able to answer her, just staring directly to her eyes, because I was taken a back. Her voice, her tone, this face that is looking at me right now are so familiar. It is so home. 


"Stop your plan in revenging our mother and come back to me as my little sister." She said. "I wanted you to know that I am not mad at you anymore." 


"Well, it's too late." I shook my head. "You don't know the feeling. Stop lying to me! Stop persuading me!" 


"I'm not lying and I'm persuading no one." She said in a monotone.


"You can say that because you weren't there when that happened." I can't help my tears from falling. Everytime this topic opened, I always end up crying. "The look he gave to my mother when he killed her, always playing to my mind. There wasn't a single day that it hasn't visited me. So, back off because you don't damn care!" I pulled my arm hard from Hani's grip, but she hold it even tighter. "Oh, come on! Take your hands off me!" I urged. 


"Who said I don't care?"


I ignored her and continued pulling my arm.


She tightened her grip until the whiteness of her knuckles showed. "Who said I don't care, Seulgi? Tell me who said that!" 


I was startled when she raised her voice. The feeling of being a little sister scolded by her older sister because she did a wrong thing is currently happening now. The look on her face, those eyes... she's the Hani I used to know.


"There wasn't a day I dreamed that you come back to us since the day you left in your elementary. There wasn't a day I wasn't worried sick about my little sister, who chose to wander the world alone." She took a step forward while looking at me in the eyes. "You asked me if I don't know how it feels to lost a mother? Well, I just lost three important people in my life. My mother, who molded me as a lovable person. My father, who taught me how to be brave. And my sister, who is so near yet so far." 


"I...." I can't finished my sentence when I noticed the tears in her eyes. 


"You don't how it hurts me to just watch you living your life alone without my help. I am here, Seulgi. Living. Breathing. Smiling. But I'm arent completely complete because you aren't in my life anymore. Do you know that you are the only inspiration I have in my entire life? You, Kang Seulgi. You and no one else. Why are you so stubborn to come home?" 


I want to hug her but I can't. I don't want her to be close to me yet, not after I avenge our mother. 


This moment of me with her, just indicated that I badly have to finish my plan in revenging. He broke my once happy family. I should break what is his. 


"I'm not stubborn." I said, avoiding contact. "I want to finish what I started." I successfully took off my hand from her grip.


"Seulgi, not every sin can be paid by revenge." 


"Shut up," I covered my ears and shook my head. "You're not hearing me." I was about to open the door when she rushed to it and closed it. 


"Think about Irene, Seulgi." She said. "What if she will discover this bull plan of yours? What will she think? You're planning to kill her father!"


I cannot deny the skill of Hani when it comes to persuading a person. She's really out here, spitting fire using . 


"You are using her!"


"Avenging the death of my mother is never a bull plan! And for your information, I am not using anyone!" I said. "You know what, you should be the one to be blamed." 


Her eyes widened. "Why me?" 


I laughed silently. "Because your ex almost killed your beloved ex." 


"What do you mean?" 


"Sulli did that to Krystal." I leaned a little closer to her. "Sulli... did that to your beloved ex and to your ex's stepmother!" I pushed her to the side and opened the door. 


"Seulgi, you can't continue your plan!" Hani said. 


I didn't look back. I wanted to walked straight and never look back. I decided to ignored Hani and go straight home without looking back, even if she's shouting at me.


"You can't do that! Irene is our---" 


She didn't finish her sentence because I slammed the door closed in front of her. 


I went straight to the exit of the hospital, ignoring the people who keep staring at me. I am still wearing the hospital clothes and blood is everywhere in my body. But I ignored it! I want to have a peace of mind. 


I call a taxi and hop in it immediately. 


"Louisville." I said to driver. 


He looked at me through the rare mirror like he was shocked between hearing the name of the place and seeing me with bloods on my shirt


"What's the matter?" I asked without looking at him. 


"Nothing," he said. He started the engine and drive us away from the hospital.

 

*********

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Please leave a comment of your thoughts about this chapter! Love you a lot!