TEEN AGE 10 - KIMCHI FRIED RICE

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

*** Seulgi *** 

 


Joohyun texted me last night saying, we might not meet tomorrow because they will have a meeting for the upcoming intramurals. She assured me that she will be late because they will discuss a lot of stuff. 

 

I don't know why I choose to wait for her even it's getting late. I don't know why I choose to stand here in front of there office instead of laying on my bed and I don't know, maybe falling asleep?

 

I laughed thinking about my thoughts. 

 

I brought my dinner with me. I can't chew my food properly while thinking about my girlfriend, who will immediately go to sleep after her meeting than to make a dinner for herself. So, I decided to bring my food and maybe, I don't know, I can invite her to eat with me tonight though it is not necessary.

 

There were many students passing by while glancing at me. I wondered what the hell they're doing when it's already late. Sometimes, our eyes met. Sometimes, not. Perhaps, they are thinking who the hell I'm waiting here for.

 

My attention shifted to the door which was slammed open. Few students passes before I saw the person I was waiting for. She was a bit shocked when she saw me standing not far from the door. She gave me a quick smile then turned to see Jennie, who was discussing about something to her. She nodded her head like she was agreeing about what Jennie is telling her. 

 

I just noticed the bags under her eyes. I realized, she must be tired dealing with her school duties. 

 

"See you!" She said to Jennie. Jennie bid her goodbye too while waving her hand at us. 

 

I smiled, trying to give a little strength, when I shifted my attention to her, who is slowly taking her steps towards my direction.

 

"You're not okay, I know." I said silently to her. "I can feel it." She paused in front of me, smiling tiredly. "You're tired?" I asked.

 

She shook her head gently. "I'm exhausted." She said quietly. Her tone is telling me she is really tired. 

 

I spread my arms. "Come on," I said, trying to convince her to walk up to me. 

 

At first she was shocked because of my action but she slowly walked up to me anyway. She gently dove her head to my chest. I automatically wrapped my arms around her and gently rubbing her back, trying to give her warm and comfort in her tiring night. She slowly put her chin above my shoulder and I leaned my head to her head. 

 

I wanted to protect her frail body using my arms. I even hear her heavy breathing.

 

"I can do this all night for you if you want me to." I whispered beside her ears. "I want you to know that I'm here for you."

 

She didn't answer my question but she slowly raised her arms around me and put her hands on my back. She embraced me back and surprisingly, her hug was as tight as mine.

 

We were like this for a couple of minutes until I heard her sigh.

 

"You hungry?" I asked. I felt her head above my shoulder nodded. "I brought some food for us. Come on," I separated myself from her but hold her hand tightly. "Let's find a place." 

 

Joohyun followed my request without further questions. We walked to the hallways while holding hands. Surprisingly, she didn't let go. 

 

I spotted my favorite place, the table under a big tree near the cafeteria. When I was about to sit on the chair, Joohyun suddenly spoken. 

 

"Thank you," she said silently, looking down. 

 

I just sighed. I walked towards her and raises her chin using my fingers. Now, we are eyes to eyes. "You are very welcome." I said calmly, word per word. "It's my pleasure to do that, Joohyun. No need to thank me, okay?"

 

"But--"

 

"No more but's." I cut her off. "What kind of girlfriend am I if I can't even give my girlfriend a hug?" I smirked. I walked up towards the table and get the dinner box that I supposed to eat alone. I glanced at Joohyun, who is frozen to her position. "Hey," she looked at me. "Cheer up. It's not the end of the world." 

 

She shook her head. "Yeah, you're right." She said then she smilingly walk towards my direction.

 

"Here," I offered one tray of my lunch box. She opened it.

 

"Kimchi fried rice?" She half-whispered half-screamed.

 

"Yeah," I said. Asking myself what's the matter of the food. "That's kimchi fried rice with egg and cheese." She is still look surprised. "I actually made that just for myself but I remembered that you have a meeting. So, I decided to cook another serving for you. I wondered if you won't have time to make a dinner for yourself." I said. 

 

"I love you, Seulgi." was all she said in a while. 

 

My jaw dropped because her words. I just heard the sacred lines. "You're already in love with me?" I said jokingly when I already collected some jokes in my mind to throw the seriousness now. On the other side, I don't want to look like I was taken aback.

 

"No, I mean..." She said after realizing what she said earlier. 

 

"Don't." I said. 

 

"Don't what?" She said. 

 

"Don't continue what you're supposed to say." I said quietly. "You better eat it now before it gets cold." I pointed her food using my spoon.

 

She looked at me for a few seconds and nodded her head. "Thank you for the food, polar bear." 

 

I almost spit the food on my mouth when I heard the name that she called me. "What?" I said after I coughed several times because the food were stuck to my throat. "What did you call me?" 

 

She raised her eyebrows for inquiry. "Polar bear?" She asked. 

 

"Yeah, that one." I said. I drink some water from my bottle. "Why would you call me 'Polar Bear?'" 

 

"Because you look like one."

 

"No, I'm not."

 

"Yes, you are, Seulgi. Grab your mirror and you will see." She said jokingly. The smile on her face is the only good thing that happened to me today. Her smile made me smile too.

 

"If that's the case," I poked one dumpling using my fork. "You're very welcome, Bunny." I teased. She was about to talk back when I immediately put the dumpling inside . I expected her to act like that so I already prepared my defense. "My mom said, don't talk when your mouth is full." I said silently. Trying to more. She almost punched me in the face but I successful dodged it when I saw it coming. "You are a cute bunny. Don't worry." I can't help myself but laughed when I saw Joohyun's pissed face with full of food. 

 

She started murmuring but I can't understand. 

 

"Finish your food first." I demanded. She frowned, her eyebrows furrowed. But she pickup her chopsticks again and continued eating. "Good girl," I whispered. She stared at me. If staring can kill, I'll probably be dead on the spot. 

 

She speak again but because was full, I signal her using my hands, telling her not to speak because was full. "I said, I'll kill you tonight." She finally spoken when she already gulped all her food. 

 

I raised my hands in the air like I'm surrendering. "I'm not guilty, my lady." I said with a grin on my face. 

 

Surprisingly, she laughed. "By the way, this tastes so good." She said. "Did you make it?" 

 

"Of course!" I replied automatically. "You know, I'm Kang Seulgi. You should expect me to do things beyond your imagination." 

 

"Wow. What are you? Superhero?" She said. 

 

"You can say that."

 

"Okay, tell me. What did you do beyond my imaginations then?" she asked. 

 

I smiled. "Convince you to be my girlfriend. That's first," I said. She stopped eating for a moment but nodded her head after a few seconds. 

 

"You're right." She said silently, peeking a piece of sausage from the tray. "But so far, my experience with you was cool." 

 

"Was!?" I almost choked. "You mean, not now?" I said. I thought, she might not like fetching her at night and prepared food like this. 

 

She nodded her head. "Yeah," 

 

"Why?" 

 

"Because you are more than I expected. You know, you're Kang Seulgi." She said with a smile on her face. 

 

Honestly, I don't know what she mean by that. But I decided to agreed with her with a nod of my head and continued eating. "Joohyun," I said in a while. She turned to see me, raising her eyebrows for inquiry. "Uhm..." I don't know how to start this but at least I need to tell her. "I think... I'll be busy next week. No, I mean very busy." I stopped talking when I realized her facials doesn't change. 

 

"Then?" She asked sternly. 

 

"I think... I can't fetch you for a few days." I said silently. Staring at her, waiting for her face expression to change. 

 

"Why?" She ate one dumpling. "Hmm?" 

 

I have to workout for the upcoming underground battle. But, of course... I can't say that. "I have a solo part on our practice and it is quite hard to learn." I said, trying my best not to be obvious. 

 

She laughed silently. "I thought you're Kang Seulgi?" She said. I just shrugged. I need to go with the flow so she won't doubt me. "Of course, you're still human. That's okay, I'll be busy next week too. You know, intramurals." 

 

I nodded. 

 

The closing hym of the school suddenly played. It's an indication for all the students and staffs that it's already 10:45 pm. Joohyun briefly look at her watch. "I didn't feel it's late already." She said silently. She quickly eat the remaining dumplings and finish her kimchi fried rice. "Thanks for the meal!" She said even is full. It made me smile.

 

"Always, Joohyun." I said with an okay sign using my hand. 

 

She smiled. "I guess, I can't stop you by calling me Joohyun." She said. "You made me love my name again." 

 

I collected all the trays and put it inside my bag. "Your name is so good to my ears that's why I keep calling you that." I said while putting my bag to my back. 

 

She nodded. "You're the only person I let to call me Joohyun again. Don't lose the chance." She signal me to walk with her. I did as I told. She wrapped her arm to my arm while we walk together.

 

The latter sentence made me gulped. But I guess, for me to grant her wish, I think I will do my best to cover up my secrets.

 

I smiled. "I'm Kang Seulgi. You know that already." I said. Trying to show my smile and not thinking about how fake it will turn. 

 

I never once wish in my life about stopping the time and let it be me with someone I truly treasured and loved. If I had one wish, I wish I have this kind of day in every day with Joohyun. 

 

We walked together comfortably. Talk to each other comfortable. I noticed that we are already in the entrance of Joohyun's dorm inside the campus. It's late, so it was only us alone.

 

"So, let's call it a day." I said silently. Forming a curve beside my mouth.

 

She sighed. She put her hands inside her pockets. "Yeah, I guess." She shrugged.

 

"Go on. Get inside first." I demanded, signal her to come in inside her dorm first. 

 

"No, you first." She insisted.

 

I shook my head for disapproval. "Ladies first, Joohyun." I pushed her gently to the dorm. "Text me if you're already  inside your room. Okay?" I said silently. Luckily this time, she followed my request. 

 

"Okay, I will." She said. She paused for few seconds and waved her hand for me. "Bye," then she finally walk away. 

 

I did the same too but on the opposite side, to the outside of the dorm. When I finally got out from the door, Joohyun suddenly called. 

 

"Seulgi, wait!" She half-whispered half-shouted.

 

I turn to see her face and going to ask her why she called me but my words immediately died inside my mouth when she suddenly wrapped her arms above my shoulders. I don't know if my body see this coming because it automatically bends a little downward to mirrored her height. 

 

We were like that for exactly 10 seconds. I didn't dare to speak because her warmth that embraces my body is so comforting. So, instead of complaining, I just silently feel the moment with her. 

 

"Seulgi," She said silently, suddenly.

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"Thank you so much for today..."

 

I was taken aback from her words. I mean, there is nothing special I did today but for her, it means a lot to her. 

 

This is the first time I lost control of my body. Perhaps, I am under her spell already. She put her hands to my shoulder and leaned a little to see my face clearly. We are still inches apart. I can still smell her perfume. Then, she suddenly cupped my face with her hands. She was about to fall when my arms automatically catches her. I suddenly remember how cold it was tonight because of how cold her hands that cupping my face. We both laughed because of what happened. 

 

"Good night." She said with a smile when things get back seriously again.

 

I can feel the tear in my eye was about to fall but I did my best to prevent it from falling. I don't want her to see me crying especially in times like this. It's so embarrassing. I don't deserved it. "Good night." I said. I didn't control my own body when I pulled her closer to me. I tightly hug her and gently rubbed my hands to her back. "I hope this day will never end." I said silently.  I tapped my hand to her back twice before I finally separated myself from her.

 

She punched me in the shoulder. In one quick second, the gentle Joohyun became brutal again. But I'm just kidding, you know.

 

"Don't say that like you'll gonna die tomorrow." She said with a little demand on her tone.

 

If she only knew. 

 

I can't tell her the details, especially now that I fell in love with her. I just nodded my head.

 

"Go on, now." I said with a demanding tone. She laughed at me silently and waved her hands at me. 

 

"Good night. Sweet dreams." She said. 

 

She finally walked away until her figure fades then she's finally gone. 

 

I breathed heavily. I put my hands to my chest and close my eyes, silently keeping that moment of us inside my heart. I shoved my hands inside my pockets and started walking away. 

 

"Wow, Seulgi." A familiar voice suddenly spoken. "That is a very nice moment of you." She said silently.

 

I paused to my position and turned to see her. She crossed her arms in front of her chest, leaning her back to the wall. 

 

"I know." I said silently. 

 

Her lips twitched. "Does she knows?" 

 

I shook my head. "She doesn't have any idea, Krys." 

 

"Good." She said silently, nodding her head. "As long as she doesn't know, you're good to go. Remember your goal. For your father. For your fam---"

 

"No need to remind me again, Krys." I cut her off. I hated her for mentioning it every single time when a times like this happened. "I remember it all." 

 

"Okay." She said. "We need to go." She signal me to go first towards the car that isn't so far from us. "Ladies first." She said, obviously teasing me from what I said to Joohyun earlier.

 

I can't help but chuckle. "Bastard." I said silently.

 

"Since the day you hired me." She answered immediately. 

 

I dove inside the car and Krystal did the same. She start the engine and played the music player. She played the Bad Boy by Red Velvet, which is the song she always play on her phone like almost everyday. "Just cover your ears if you don't like the music."

 

I chuckle. "Nope, it's okay." I said. "It's been a while since I listen to it too." 

 

"Okay!" She said while driving away from the dorm. "I do like this song because it feels like we are about to kill someone down." 

 

I looked at her with a fake smirk. What a jerk. 

 

"Bad boy down~" She sang along with the song, making hand gestures while holding the pedal.

 

I open the window and leaned my head to the door. Krystal glanced at me and smiled like a proud mother. "What's wrong, mom?" I said sarcastically. She just chuckled. 

 

I put my attention back to the road when she didn't answer me. It's so nice to breath night's air sometimes. It's so refreshing. 

 

I sighed when Joohyun suddenly flashed to my mind. I shook my head to set things aside and put my attention back to the road. 

 

I should work the way I planned it.