TEEN AGE 04 - WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL TODAY?

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

Jisoo grabbed me from the shoulder and turned me to her. "What's her answer?" 

 

"I already told you, she didn't accept the offer." I said and took her hand off of me. I walked away heading to my next class, which is also my last class for the day. 

 

"What did you say?" Jisoo is asking me about Seulgi. I just sighed. 

 

Actually, I lied to them. I didn't tell them that Seulgi is still thinking about the condition she will ask from me before accepting the offer. But I concluded, to make the story short, the answer is on me, because if I will not do Seulgi's condition, she'll say no too. After that meeting, I keep thinking about what kind of condition she will ask and the way Krystal answered my question the other day at the coffee shop made me terrified. 

 

"Just like what you asked me to do, I asked her to replace Lisa," I said, not looking to her. I know, the moment I said those words while facing her, she will know if I'm lying or not. Well, asking Seulgi to replace Lisa wasn't a lie but the rest of the story.

 

"Then she just said no?" Jisoo still following me. 

 

"Yeah," I said. I paused when I was in front of my room. Jisoo wanted to talk but I cut her off. "By the way, why are you following me?" I asked. 

 

Her eyebrows furrowed. "We're classmate, remember?" she said. 

 

"Ohh," was all I said, entering my classroom. I totally forgot that Jisoo is my classmate in this class. Actually, Jennie, Sooyoung and Krystal are my classmates in this class too.

 

"Back at it, she just said no?" She asked when I seated on my chair, far away from the entrance, beside the windows. Jisoo's voice was loud enough for Krystal to hear, who is sitting in the front row, beside the door. Krystal looked at me with what-is-the-problem look. 

 

I'm close to her but the rest of the gang aren't. Krystal is very talkative but she choose the people who she'll talk with. She's kind of introvert just like me. But because, I won as an officer in this school, I need to be a little extrovert sometimes. Maybe that is the reason why I'm close with Jisoo, Jennie and Sooyoung though they are obviously, extroverts.

 

I smiled at Krystal with a nevermind-me-and-her look. She nooded and go back writing to her notebook. 

 

"Yeah," I said to Jisoo, putting my notebook and book on the table. "Just like I told you earlier." 

 

"Is she a snob?" Jisoo said while doing the same thing. Just then, she put her arm and looked at me. "What does she look like?" 

 

"Who?"

 

"Kang Seulgi." She said. 

 

"Ah," I decided to stop what I'm doing and looked at ceiling, acting like I'm in deep thinking. "She has eyes, nose, lips, and ear. She has a face. In short, she's just like us." I said. "And I thought you knew her, then you probably saw her face." 

 

"I just heard about her." Jisoo tsked beside me, probably because I'm not fun to talk with in terms of this. "Kj," she whispered. Perhaps, she was expecting me to describe the girl more detailed, more romantic and more sensual. 

 

"I know." I whispered too, shrugging.

 

Our teacher entered the room after a few seconds, carrying the usual books, stick if in case she'll need it for students who don't listen to her, mega phone on her belt, and her bag. I noticed there is a girl following her. I was shocked when my eyes fall at the student's face. I immediately glanced at Krystal, who is now smirking while looking at the student too.

 

"Attention!" Our teacher said, getting our full attention. All of us stand up. "Good afternoon, Ma'am Pizarro!" All of us said in unison. This is what we usually are in Ms. Pizarro's class. She teaches homeroom and she told us to respect and bow everytime she'd coming in. 

 

The student beside her looked like she doesn't know what to do, she just bowed her head anyway. When we all seated down, noises and murmurs follows when the student raise her head. 

 

"Silence please," Ms. Pizarro said, raising her right hand, signalling us to shut up our mouths. When silence welcomed us, she talk again. "Now that you settled down, I would like to introduce to you your new classmate. YYes what you're thinking right now is right." She continued. "I asked her earlier and, yes, she's the famous underground dancer."

 

"I used to be." Seulgi interrupted. 

 

Ms. Pizarro looked at her but continued anyway. "As you all heard, she just transferred to our school. She live in Louisville---" Ms. Pizarro wanted to continue but the student cut him off.

 

"I used to be," she said, emphasizing the words used to be. Louisville is a known city for elite families. I heard a single home there cost $2.5 million dollars. Imagined how rich the people that live there. "My name's Kang Seulgi. Nice to meet you everyone." She said in a monotone, bowing her head again. 

 

Jisoo suddenly stare at me blankly, with a shocked face.

 

"What?" I asked. But Jisoo just turned her eyes to the front again without answering my question.

 

Seulgi was a bit shocked when her gaze met mine when she raised her head. A sarcastic curved on her lips followed. It was just probably me who saw her do that. 

 

"Oh, okay." Ms. Pizarro said. She was a bit surprised of how the girl cut her off easily. She's known as a strict teacher but then, a stranger just cut her off. Worse, it was her student. "You can sit beside Jennie. Off you go." 

 

Seulgi followed Ms. Pizarro's order and walk headed to our row. Jennie is sitting at the back of my seat. But just then, Seulgi stop beside my table, our table. Standing next to Jisoo, who's staring at her blankly. She grabbed Jisoo's uniform from her shoulder and ordered her to leave the seat using her right hand. All of us, including our teacher, wondering what was she doing. Why she wanted Jisoo to leave her seat when Ms. Pizarro ordered her to seat beside Jennie, that is just one table away?

 

"But it's my seat." Jisoo said to the blank face Seulgi. 

 

"Seulgi, at the back" I whispered to Seulgi, pointing at Jennie's table. "She's not Jennie. She's Jisoo. Jennie is the girl sitting at the back." 

 

But Seulgi didn't dare to move an inch.

 

"Ms. Kang, your seat is at the back next to Jennie." Our teacher interrupted. 

 

Seulgi leaned her head forward to Jisoo's face. "Will it be a big deal if I'll ask you to transfer?" She whispered to the girl beside me. Jisoo automatically shook her head without a second thought. "If that's the case," Seulgi raised her head and carry Jisoo's things. 

 

"What are you doing, Seulgi?" I said half-whispered. I glanced at Krystal who is silently laughing at her seat. Perhaps, enjoying watching her best friend doing weird stuff. Does she already know Seulgi acted like this? I thought. 

 

"No, it's okay." Jisoo rejected her help in carrying her things while tranferring beside Jennie. But Seulgi insisted. She successfully help Jisoo with her things. "It's all yours now." Jisoo said when she seated beside Jennie, pointing to her previous seat. 

 

Seulgi exposed her smile to Jisoo and immediately sit beside me. "What do you think you're doing?" I whispered to Seulgi.

 

"Sitting." She whispered back to me. "I'm all good now, Ms. Pizarro." Seulgi said that made everyone's eyes back to our teacher. Perhaps, waiting for her to say something. I just dive my face to my palms. 

 

I thought she's almost perfect but then, a flaw just came out. I looked at Krystal, who just shrugged when our eyes meet. And this feeling I'm feeling right now tells me there's more flaws yet to come. She's human after all.

 

"Okay," was all Ms. Pizarro said. "To tell you honestly Ms. Kang, I found you a bit weird." 

 

"You're not alone, Ms. Pizarro." Seulgi suddenly spoken. "Probably, everybody in here thinks the same. It doesn't matter." She shrugged. "There's more important things in life to think about than your judgments." 

 

Another bold statement came out from Seulgi's lips, leaving everybody's mouth speechless. Except Krystal, who's gently nodding her head right now. 

 

"So, what's our lesson for today, Ms. Pizarro?" Seulgi suddenly cut off the silence. Everybody slowly turning their heads towards the teacher in front of us, still shocked from Seulgi's bold words earlier. 

 

I noticed Seulgi write something on her sticky note but I didn't see what was she's writing there. 

 

"Open the book on page 53." Finally, our teacher said after a few seconds of silence. I followed Ms. Pizarro's request. "I want you to read the poem that is written there and I will ask each one of you a few questions. If you're able to answer all of my questions, if that's possible, you are exempted from the quiz this friday. All clear?" 

 

I wasn't able to answer to Ms. Pizarro's question when Seulgi suddenly shoulder me to the side. 

 

"What?" I mouthed. She showed me a piece of folded sticky note and offer it to me. "What is this?" I whispered but she didn't answer me. She ordered me to get it and open it. I did as I told. 

 

I could feel the heat rising from my neck when I finished reading what was written on her sticky note. 

 

Why are you so beautiful today?

 

I slowly turned my head to Seulgi, who's staring at me blankly. Just then, I felt the warmth from my cheeks when she suddenly smiled. I just noticed that her eyes are smiling as well, together with her lips. 

 

"And what is this for?" I whispered. She just shrugged, putting her attention back to the book on her table. 

 

I crashed the paper to my hands when I noticed Jisoo peeked to the paper from the back. I decided to put my full attention to the window. I don't want anybody to see my face right now. Seulgi's boldness never failed to give me such reaction that I shouldn't feel. I'm pretty sure, my face is red right now. 

 

"Excuse me, class." Ms. Pizarro said and walked out from the room. Probably, she went to the comfort room.

 

I took a few breaths before paying my attention back to the said page of the book. But I can't stop myself from stealing glances from Seulgi. She look so serious while reading the poem. Sometimes, she'd write something on her notebook. The weird Seulgi that we saw earlier was gone. She's totally focused right now. 

 

I started thinking about what she said earlier, that she used to live in Louisville. Is she really rich? But what I've heard, she's a scholar to our school. Is she denying her connections or she's really telling us the truth that she used to live there? Is she a runaway? 

 

"Are you finished?" 

 

I was brought back to earth when Ms. Pizarro came back to our room. 

 

"Not yet," most of us said in unison. 

 

"10 minutes left." Our teacher informed. 

 

I put my full attention now to the poem. It's better to set some things in my mind aside for now. Whatever is Seulgi's history, I'll discover it later. But for now, I will focus more to the poem.