Chapter 47: Surprise

Hallyu Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye bit her finger nails as she read the script that she had just received. She was totally immersed in it. She had received countless of drama and movie scripts these past few months but none of those seemed right for her. But this particular one she was holding and reading at that moment was reeling her in. The script for the first three episodes, which was still a draft, was sent to her along with the whole plot of the drama. She can't stop reading. Her eyes travelled from word to word until it was time to turn to the next page. And when she got to the last page, she felt sad. She wanted more. 

"Wow." She said, closing the script. "That was really good."

She stared at the cover of the script and ran her hands through it. The plot of this drama was really sad, but heart warming at the same time. After reading it, she actually can't wait to know what happens next. It was a beautifully written story written by a very good writer. She sighed and hugged the script. Looks like she found the next drama that she will be starring in. 

She turned to her dog, who was busy chewing on her rejected pile of scripts, and said excitedly, "I think I'm going to take this!"

She carefully laid her script on the coffee table. She should call her manager now to let him know what her final decision was. She fumbled for her phone on her pocket. Not there. She can't remember where exactly she placed it. Thankfully, it started ringing. She listened and tried to locate where it is. Finally, she found it. Her dog was sitting on it this whole time.

Her face lit up when she saw who was calling her. Oh, well. Maybe she'll just call her manager oppa tomorrow. She was sure this phone call is going to take hours.

"Hi!" Shin Hye answered.

"I miss you so, so much." Her boyfriend's voice came in.

Shin Hye can't even remember the last time she and Kyuhyun talked and saw each other, and she's not even exaggerating. They were too busy with their work. Shin Hye was busy with all her CF shootings, photoshoots, and flying over Asia. While Kyuhyun was busy with Super Junior's latest comeback and recording his variety shows and some other stuff that he claims he can't tell her. This phone call might be the closest thing that could pass off as a date for them after such a long time.

"I miss you, too." Shin Hye said in a very pouty voice.

"Sorry that I haven't been able to call you or message you. I'm just really busy doing all these stuff. I can't get even just a wink of sleep." Kyuhyun said. His voice sounded really tired. "I wish I could curl up beside you and sleep. Can I do that? Curl up beside you and sleep?" He asked.

"Aww. Of course you can, sweetie!" She exclaimed. She wished she coud hug him right now. "And don't even worry about not calling me. I've been pretty swamped as well lately."

Kyuhyun scoffed. "Uh, yeah, I know. Didn't you just flew in from Japan?"

"Yeah, I did. How did you know that?"

"I read it on the internet." Kyuhyun answered. "Funny that I knew about my girlfriend's schedule from the internet."

Shin Hye scoffed and shook her head. "Yah! What's funny is my boyfriend claiming to be too busy to call me but still have time to go on the internet--"

"To search about my girlfriend." Kyuhyun cut her off. "I go on the internet to search for your photos!" He defended himself.

"Arasso. I believe you." Shin Hye laughed. "I love you."

"I love you, more." Kyuhyun said in his very sweet voice. "Okay! I'm not tired anymore!" He said, his voice actually sounding really energized.

Shin Hye giggled. "Oh yeah?"

"Yes! I just got off work, actually." Kyuhyun happily said.

"Great. You should go home and rest, then. Get that wink of sleep that you’ve been waiting to get." Shin Hye instructed him.

"But I want to see you!"

"And you will see me! After you sleep and get some rest." Shin Hye said. She stood up from the couch and tried to grab the scripts that her dog was chewing. 

"I told you I'm not tired anymore. Say you love me again and my energy will shoot up some more." Kyuhyun said excitedly like a little kid.

Shin Hye shook her head and laughed. Sometimes, it feels like she's dating a little boy. "Okay. I love you. But you need to rest, seriously."

"What are you doing, anyway?" Kyuhyun asked.

Shin Hye finally got the scripts from her dog. She took the chewed scripts, and the selected one, and placed it on the table where her dog won't be able to reach it. "Nothing much. Just playing with Bongji." She answered while lying down on her bed.

"So, you're not busy?" Kyuhyun asked again.

"Nope." Shin Hye answered. "Why?"

"Hmm.. Nothing much." Kyuhyun answered.

Shin Hye's buzzer suddenly rang. She frowned. It was almost midnight. Who would be visiting her at this hour?

"Can you hold on? Someone's at my door."

Shin Hye stomped her way to the front door. Maybe it was her manager. Maybe he wants to talk to her. But she's not in a mood to talk about work right now. All she wanted to do was to curl up on her bad and talk to her boyfriend on the phone until they both fall asleep. She sighed and frowned as she opened the door. But once she saw who was behind it, her frown was replaced with a smile. She opened the door widely and laughed.

"Why am I not even surprised that you're here?" Shin Hye shook her head and laughed.

"Surprise!" Kyuhyun waved at her and smiled.

Shin Hye hang up the call and placed her phone in her pocket. Oh, god. She missed him so much. "Come in." 

Kyuhyun happily stepped inside. He waited until Shin Hye had locked the door. When they were facing each other, he smirked at her.

"I thought about what you said, that I should rest first before seeing you. But, whatever. Screw rest and sleep. I'm going to see my girlfriend whom I missed so--"

Shin Hye cut him off as he grabbed his shirt and placed her lips on his. She tried to convey how much she missed him through that kissed. And Kyuhyun's response wasn't disappointing. Too shocked, he dropped his phone on the floor, his hands travelling to Shin Hye's waist. But just as Kyuhyun was about to enjoy and get too caught up in the kiss, Shin Hye pulled her lips away from him.

"Oh, god." Kyuhyun mumbled.

Shin Hye smirked. "Sorry. You were talking too much."

Kyuhyun sighed. "If that's how you're going to shut me up every time I'm talking too much, then I don't think I'll ever stop talking." He said, still a little dazed.

Shin Hye shook her head at him. She bent down and picked his phone up from the floor. "Oh, no! It's broken!" She exclaimed while looking at the phone's broken screen.

"It is?" Kyuhyun looked at it. "Your fault. You're going to have to buy me a new one."

"Fine, I will." Shin Hye said. She took his hand and pulled him to the living room. When they were both sitting on the couch, Shin Hye took a good look at him. He really does look tired. There were dark circles under his eyes and his eyes are quite red. "You poor thing. You look tired." She said as she placed a hand on his cheek.

Kyuhyun snuggled his head on her shoulder and wrapped his hands on her arm. "I was feeling really tired. But now that I'm here with you, I'm feeling better." 

"I appreciate you choosing me over sleep. But your health should come first and not me. What if you get sick again? Do you want to get sick again? If you get sick you won't be able to--"

Kyuhyun lifted his head and kissed her. It was a really sweet kiss.

"You talk too much." He . Shin Hye just blushed.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Kyuhyun sat up straight, opened his bagpack and took something out from it. "I have a present for you!"

Shin Hye took it from him. It was Super Junior's latest album. "Wow! Thank you!" She smiled. It even has a message and sign from all the member oppas. She laughed at their messages most especially the one from Ryeowook.

"Why? What's funny?" Kyuhyun hobbled his head over to her to see what she was laughing at. "Shin Hye-ah, break up with Kyuhyun. He's a good for nothing guy. Ryeowook oppa." He read the message aloud. "Oh that bastard!" He exclaimed angrily.

"It's hilarious!" Shin Hye laughed. "I love these oppas. They’re hilarious."

Kyuhyun made a face at her. He placed his arm around Shin Hye's shoulders and pulled her closer to him. Shin Hye happily snuggled to him and sighed happily.

"I like you better now than before." Kyuhyun blurted out.

Shin Hye looked up at him and glared hard. "Excuse me? You mean you don't like me before?"

"No! Not like that! What I mean is.." Kyuhyun ran his hand through his hair nervously. "I mean, since we got back together, you're.. Different?"

Shin Hye narrowed her eyes at him. Different? What was he talking about? "What do you mean 'different'? And how?" She asked.

Kyuhyun took a deep breath, preparing for his explanation. "Don't take this the wrong way, but.. Before it felt like I was always sitting on the edge of my seat with you. I didn't know what you were thinking or what you were feeling. I somehow didn't feel like.." He paused, not sure if he should say what he's about to say. "I didn't feel like you loved me enough. At least, not as much as I do." He added when he saw the look on Shin Hye's face.

Shin Hye blinked her eyes repeatedly. She didn't know that she was that horrible as a girlfriend. "Oh no. I'm so sorry. I didn't know. I'm sorry." She slumped down on the couch. Some of her friends told her that she somehow acts that way but she didn't believe them. She thought she was really affectionate and sweet. But now that it actually came out from her boyfriend's mouth, seems like it really is true. She gasped when a thought occurred to her. "Wait, is that why you broke up with me?" 

Kyuhyun chuckled at her. "No! You know why I broke up with you. And let's not talk about that. I told you, you're different now. You've become more open and expressive of your feelings for me." He said, kissing her on the forehead.

Shin Hye didn't budge. She felt sad hearing about that thing.

"Come on, don't be sad. Just forget I mentioned that, please?" Kyuhyun smiled at her. "Okay. How about this? To cheer you up, I'm going to let you in on a secret. But you have to promise me that you won't tell anybody about it, okay?"

Shin Hye raised an eyebrow at him. "That is just making me nervous and not cheering me up."

"I promise it'll cheer you up. Or I hope it will. Okay, remember when I told you I was doing something top secret?"

Shin Hye's eyes grew wide. "Yes, I remember! Isn't that what you were doing earlier?"

Kyuhyun smiled proudly at her while nodding his head. "Yes! Actually I was recording songs and trying to write some songs."

"Why? You guys just had your comeback?" She asked confusedly.

Kyuhyun bit his lip. He seemed really excited. "That's because it's not for a group album. A few months from now, I'll be debuting as a solo artist with my own album."

"That’s your secret?! Wow! Oh my god that's so great!" Shin Hye squealed as she wrapped her arms around Kyuhyun's neck causing him to tumble down on the couch with her lying on top of him. "I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I'm sure you're going to be really really good!"

"You think so?" Kyuhyun asked nervously, snaking his arms around her waist.

Shin Hye nodded her head eagerly. "Yes! I believe in you."

"That's all I needed to hear." Kyuhyun said as he hugged her.

"I feel like I should do something for you." Shin Hye mumbled. "Do you want anything? What do you want?"

Kyuhyun didn't answer. He just looked at her straight in the eyes, his eyes full of love for her. He removed some stray hair on Shin Hye's forehead and affectionately pinched her cheeks. Then, he placed his fingers on her chin and slowly pulled her face towards him until their lips touched. Shin Hye always says this about their kisses, but this kiss is different, really. It was magical, like all the flowers in the world are blooming all at the same time. It made her feel warm and tingly. It was really, really sweet. She sighed into his lips. She has kissed so many guys (for professional purposes, of course) but none of those kisses compared to this. Her boyfriend really is such a good kisser. 

After the kiss, they only lovingly looked at each other. They were smiling, both their cheeks flushed from the kiss.

Kyuhyun sighed contentedly. "You're the only one that I want." He said, caressing Shin Hye's cheek.

How does one respond when your boyfriend says that you are the only one that he wants? Shin Hye didn't know either. Instead, she just buried her face on Kyuhyun's chest and hugged him tightly. It felt like her cheeks were going to explode because she was smiling too widely. She heard Kyuhyun chuckled. She even felt and heard the vibrations that his throat made. And she also felt his hold on her waist tightened.

"I can finally stay like this with you with no one to disturb us. Frankly, you hugging me like this is all the rest that I need." Kyuhyun said.

But just as he said that, Shin Hye's buzzer went off. She lifted her head up and looked at Kyuhyun. He was smiling at her. She gave him a confused look.

"What?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Did you not hear that?"

"Hear what?"

She shrugged her shoulders. Maybe it was just her imagination. She went back to burying her face on Kyuhyun's chest, inhaling his very manly smell. But her buzzer went off again. And then again. It was like the person outside her door was getting impatient already.

"Okay. Now, I heard that." Kyuhyun said, straightening up.

"I should go and check who it is." Shin Hye stood up from the couch, gave Kyuhyun a smile, and walked towards the door. Whoever it was, he/she was buzzing the door impatiently. Before opening the door, she took a peek from the peep hole. When she saw the people standing on the other side, she froze.

"Oh no."

Why, of all the times, will they come now? And why didn't they call first? And Kyuhyun was there. Should she send them away? But that would be rude. Without thinking, she grabbed Kyuhyun's shoes and ran back to the living room.

"Who was it?" He asked.

"You need to hide." She said. She tossed his shoes at him. She picked his bagpack up from the floor and threw it at him, as well. "But where? Where should you hide?" She was pacing back and forth nervously in front of Kyuhyun.

"What? Why?" He asked as he struggled to balance his shoes and his bagpack in his arms. The buzzer went off again repeatedly. They both looked at the direction of the door. "Are those your parents?" He asked, whispering.

"Oh, I know!" Shin Hye grabbed his arm and pulled him up off the couch. "My bedroom! You can hide there!" She hurriedly pulled him to her bedroom.

She opened the bedroom door and pushed Kyuhyun inside. She was about to close the door but Kyuhyun jammed it with his foot.

"Wait! Who is it?" He asked.

"Uhm.. Hongki and.. Geun Suk oppa and.. Yonghwa.." She bit her lip.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and frowned at her. Now he's pissed. Not a good sign. "And so? Why do I need to hide?"

"Because.. I haven't told them that we're back together yet." Shin Hye quietly said. "Just hide here while I make them go away. Please?"

"And why are they here, anyway? It's midnight! What business do they have coming at a girl's apartment at this time of the night?" Kyuhyun angrily exclaimed.

"They probably just want to hangout here and drink a few beers and--" 

"What?!" He hissed at her. "You hangout with those guys here and drink beer?!"

"No. Not here. Someplace else." Shin Hye reasoned out. "We hang out here just the two of us all the time!"

"That's different! I'm your boyfriend!" Kyuhyun exclaimed. "You know what? Go and hang out with them. We'll talk later." He said, closing the bedroom door.

Shin Hye whimpered. Now Kyuhyun is mad at her. They were having such a good time earlier and now it’s ruined because he’s mad. She walked back towards the door. Before opening it, she practiced smiling.

"Hi!" She greeted the boys.

"There you are!" Geun Suk patted her head as a greeting.

"We thought you weren't home." Hongki said. He walked past her and went inside.

"I'm sorry. I was just cleaning up the mess. Oh, great. Come in!" She said with a subtle hint of sarcasm towards Hongki.

Geun Suk went inside, followed by Yonghwa. Unlike those two boys who immediately made their way towards the living room, and probably the kitchen, Yonghwa just stood there. He waited until Shin Hye had finally closed and locked the door.

"Hi." Yonghwa waved awkwardly at her.

"Hi, Yonghwa-ah." She waved back.

"We're sorry for coming unannounced. I hope it's not a bad time for you?"

Yonghwa had always been the gentleman out of the three. But yes, it was kind of a bad time. "Oh, don't worry about it." She waved a hand at him.

They walked towards the living room. Hongki and Geun Suk were already lounging on the couch. The couch that she and Kyuhyun were cuddling on just a few minutes ago. She looked longingly at the direction of her bedroom hoping that by the time these guys had left, he is no longer mad at her.

Hongki was unloading cans of beer from a box. She didn't even notice that they brought beer and food with them. Her dog was yapping around. She probably caught the smell of food. Bongji jumped on Hongki's lap.

"Hi, Shin Hye's dog!" Hongki said but when he was about to pet her, she ran away from him. Hongki typically ran after her. 

Shin Hye just shook her head while watching her friend and her dog chase each other. "So, why did you guys decided that my place is a good place to drink your beer?" She directed the question to Yongha whom she was sure would have the most proper and sane answer.

Yonghwa blinked at her. He opend his mouth as if to answer but closed it again. He looked at Geun Suk, who was helping himself to a can of beer, as if asking for his help. That was the first time this happened. Yonghwa usually has all the answers.

"What? Oh, why, yes!" Geun Suk chuckled nervously. "You see, Shin Hye-ah, we were hanging out at their dorm.." He pointed at Yonghwa.

"And?"

"And.. We were trying to help Yonghwa to come up with a song. Because.. You know.." Geun Suk babbled. He didn't know what else to say so he just drank his beer.

Shin Hye looked at Yonghwa. "You, of all people, need help in writing a song? Are you sick or something?" She asked incredulously.

"Yeah.. Well.." Yonghwa shyly bowed his head and placed a hand at the back of his neck.

Geun Suk snorted. "Oh, yeah. He is sick. He's love-- Ow! Yah!"

Yonghwa kicked him on the leg to make him shut up. "Hyung! Please!" Yonghwa whispered to him.

Shin Hye looked confusedly at him. Something weird is going on here. "Okay.. That still doesn't answer my question. Why are you guys here?" She asked eagerly.

Geun Suk set the can of beer on the coffee table. "We're here because Yonghwa needs your help in writing a song." He said.

"Ooh." Shin Hye giggled. "I'm honoured that you guys think that I could be of help in your song writing process but, come on! You three are the music people. I'm an actress." She smiled.

"No, no, no! Not like that!" Geun Suk exclaimed. "Yonghwa need you as his inspiration. His muse." He said dreamily.

"Hyung!" Yonghwa lightly hit him on his arm.

"Please, Yonghwa-ah. How long has it been? Just tell her." Geun Suk urged him.

Okay. Something weird really is going on. And something's about to happen. "Tell me what?" She asked slowly.

Yonghwa sighed. He took a deep, sharp breath before starting. "Okay.. Shin Hye-ah.. We're here because.. I need to tell you something." He paused.

Shin Hye nervously waited for him to continue. Oh god. Is he about to say what she thinks he's about to say? Locking Kyuhyun up in her bedroom suddenly became a good idea. But could he hear them there? Is this whole apartment soundproof? 

Yonghwa scratched the back of his neck shyly. "I.. For the longest time.. I have been--"

"Okay!" Shin Hye stopped him from saying more. "I am gonna stop you right there, Yonghwa-ah!"

"Oh dear god! What? Why? He's getting to the good part!" Geun Suk exclaimed disappointedly as he fell down on the couch dramatically.

"Because.." Why did she even stop him? She doesn't have a good answer.

"Guys! Guys! Guys!" Hongki came shouting in the living room. He wasn't alone. "Look who I found hiding! In the bedroom!" Hongki said, giving her a look of disappointment.

"Woah." Geun Suk hid behind Yonghwa. He probably still remembers when Kyuhyun punched him.

Hongki walked over beside Yonghwa and crossed his arms. "Why is he hiding in your bedroom?" Hongki asked.

"He's here beacuse, uhm.." Shin Hye fumbled for an answer as Kyuhyun planted himself beside her. He elbowed her lightly, She responded by elbowing him as well but not as light as how he did it. She even heard Kyuhyun whimpered in pain. "Uhm.. He needed my help with something."

"Help with what?" Geun Suk asked.

Shin Hye glared at Kyuhyun and gave him a please-help-me-out-here look.

"Ah, yes!" Kyuhyun exclaimed. "I need her help.. With some stuff.."

"What stuff?" Hongki raised an eyebrow at them.

Shin Hye waved a hand at Hongki dismissively. "Oh, just some stuff. Anyway, he's on his way out. He was just about to leave when you guys came, actually. Right?" She laced her arms on Kyuhyun's and discreetly pinched him.

"Yes, I was just about to leave." Kyuhyun said through gritted teeth. He turned to Shin Hye and whispered to her fiercely, "Oww! Why do you keep on hurting me?"

"He's leaving now. For real." Shin Hye laughed nervously.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter