What gift can you give a rich kid?

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

PROMPT: 'Punk Girl, talk sweetly' mini-sequel!

 

Bae Joohyun didn’t expect to be so fond of a denim jacket like this. Colored a hue too dark of blue to combine with any of her pastel colors, the studs decorating the collar and shoulders were too flashy for her taste, but…

 

The handmade patches, hand drawn and colored with the sweat of Seulgi’s brows, sewn so carefully and nicely. All of them bands that Seulgi had never heard of, bands that her girlfriend was such a huge fan of. But all of them were bands that she knew her girlfriend would like to have sewn on her battle vest.

 

Okay, let’s be frank here. Kang Seulgi was still not sure how to outwardly express her affection now that it was slowly getting out there that they two were dating. Gobsmacked shock, horror, all of that she was used to but… this gift-giving part of dating Bae Joohyun was brand new to her. They had spent so much time in secrecy, just quietly embracing one another when they found the time, that when it came to gifts they liked and disliked she knew not what to give the rich girl. After all, her family could give her everything in the world. So, Seulgi did what she knew to do best and hoped for the best. She walked into her ramshackled garage and began painting, finding the logos, making the stencils, designing and decorating a denim jacket she stealthily measured to fit Joohyun’s body. It may not be the most expensive gift in the world, not the most deep and meaningful conventionally speaking.

 

But…

 

Seulgi tried to act cool, giving it to her with one hand and looking away, but Joohyun was sharper than what Seulgi gave her credit for. The crimson tint spreading all over Seulgi’s cheeks and to her protruding ears, the subtle smile she fought to avoid grinning widely like the idiot she was in privacy. It was a dead giveaway of a tender, romantic gesture. And when Joohyun saw it, she was just as touched. 

 

Yes, it was not conventional, but that was what set Seulgi apart from the rest, even those who dressed like her. She did something out of her heart always and it was always meaningful, even if this jacket is not her style entirely, even if the studs didn’t represent her… something about it just felt the coolest thing. Like the jacket felt extra warm, extra cozy and a mark that – strangely – Joohyun liked. So, even if it didn’t match her outfit, Joohyun put on that denim jacket and showed it off as much as she could, proudly showcasing her girlfriend’s artistic talent and dedication to her.

 

It didn’t outwardly say that she belonged to Kang Seulgi or vice versa, but it felt so. It felt like it tacitly spoke for her.

 

The big hug and kiss that Joohyun gave Seulgi was not enough to explain how much she loved this gift, specifically because it was so quintessentially Seulgi, and so thoughtful in its own way, that Joohyun knew no one could top this gift.

 

The priceless gift of love can never be topped.