The Traceurs.

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Atop the old apartment building sat two talented traceurs, breathing heavily but feeling spent and content. They had arrived just in time for the show, the gorgeous sunset coated in orange glow and a twinge of purple.

 

With the way they were seated, one next to the other, fingers almost brushing, one would think these two were lovers. Instead, the reality was that all they knew of each other (at the moment) was that they both practiced Parkour and both loved the sunsets on top of this building. 

 

They were both traceurs from opposite ends of the town and found each other by mere chance one time. Both running away from an invisible chaser, both running through the town of obstacles, making it their playground, until both (without realizing) clashed against one another turning the corner of an alleyway. A loud “Oof!” and a clear thud echoed across the damp alleyway that afternoon. Both dropped to the floor winded and confused, like their train of thought ran away the moment they both collided. When both of them abruptly sat up, they took into each other’s eyes. Both warm and brown, tender upon contact but powerful upon looking at it. Kang Seulgi was flabbergasted at the sight of such a gorgeous woman. Pale skin, simple t-shirt, enchanting eyes and lips, but she found the trousers very important. They were quintessential parkour wear, just like the shoes -- that were a little worn. Meanwhile, Bae Joohyun was fascinated by the cat-eyes of the other, the slim frame that looks to be incredibly agile and fast, a sweaty gray t-shirt and matching gray traceur pants. They both noticed each other and recognized one another. They smiled and Seulgi got up fast, running away.

 

It was an invitation, a challenge. Bae Joohyun grinned cheekily and got up immediately to chase after her, without a word uttered. That’s how their chase began, unspoken and sudden, which was the best kind. Seulgi was fast and just as agile as Joohyun thought her to be, like a cat born in a human body; she cleared obstacles like they were nothing, like she was light as a feather. Joohyun could tell Seulgi had been doing this for a while and felt this was a great challenge. Meanwhile, Seulgi was impressed by her opponent. Seulgi knew she was really fast, but her opponent was frighteningly fast as well, she could definitely catch up to her at any moment. That’s what made it the most fun, the prospect of being caught up on and becoming the chaser instead of the chased (which was her favorite role) was strangely enthralling.

 

They both could see their creativity at work with the way they cleared obstacles, the way they were just a stepping stone to greatness, the sound of giggles and laughter mixed with the frantic panting. 

 

Buildings and people went past them in a blur, streets changed and morphed endlessly as they went through every shortcut to make their chase exciting and challenging. Without realizing, they both had started jumping from rooftop to rooftop, until they reached one perfect rooftop -- abandoned and oddly clean and just above the normal citizens walking down the streets. In the perfect position to view the rest of town and its golden sun inching to the horizon. The two of them were spent, panting heavily, but when they look at the sunset they both forgot any exhaustion that was in their bodies. It was blissful, like magic. Nothing else came close to that exquisite exhaustion and that stunning visual. That was the first time they both saw the sunset on that rooftop. Respectfully, they watched it quietly, sitting on the ground and not saying a word. It was like they had agreed that the sound of the city and the gust of wind were the only music they needed for this moment.

 

When the sun disappeared behind the horizon and the sky slowly darkened, both of the traceurs looked at each other, only vaguely illuminated by the town’s lighting. They smiled at each other and left their own ways.

 

Kang Seulgi couldn’t just leave this spot behind like this, it was perfect. She took notes on where to find it, where to sneak into to climb up, which rooftop to take. One afternoon after a long day at work, Seulgi dressed up in her traceur attire and soared through the sky. She felt her heart pumping madly, exhausted but blissful by the time she climbed up the rooftop, stopping dead in her tracks once she found that very pretty traceur.

 

She felt her maddened heart stop for a second before it came back to thumping, this time with a new spurt of energy and vigor as she saw that gorgeous face slightly sweaty, but radiating an ethereal glow with the way the orange light reflected on her. She looked like a goddess on earth and when she finally noticed Seulgi, she smiled wide with an almost shy glimpse in her eyes.

 

Just like before, they understood each other to perfection. They sat next to one another, though not as close, and watched the sunset together.

 

After many weeks of sunset, both of their hands touched for the first time. This time, initiated by the chaser, Bae Joohyun, whose smile was mischievous. Just as the orange glow started to show its pink glow, Seulgi felt that electrifying touch. She looked at the beauty next to her immediately, surprised, but upon seeing that smile she couldn’t help but to smile as well.

 

Oh, she certainly thought of kissing her, but instead, they both spoke nearly at the same time.

 

“Kang Seulgi.”

 

“Bae Joohyun.”

 

And those were the first words they ever said to each other, but certainly not the last.