What's in a Hint?

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Bae Joohyun had to admit that Seulgi’s neutral face of ‘I’m processing this information’ was insanely endearing, sometimes just outright hilarious. It made situations like this one, usually a bit frustrating, a different experience for Joohyun. After all, Seulgi was a romantic bear full of love that could not, for the love of god, take the hint, and that’s something Joohyun knew walking into this hushed-hushed affair. 

 

Well, hushed enough. In the practice room, both of them were sweaty and ready to leave for the dorm after a long day of dancing, plopped limp on the leather couch of the cool room. They were far from alone, being accompanied by a manager, teachers and backup dancers that all had inklings of the brewing affair below the surface. But one thing they learned in the business of entertainment is that it was not THEIR business. Those curious looks, those intrigued glances full of discretion, they were just that. All of them were busy people, so slowly all of them were filtering out of the room. Not fast enough, though. It was a slow process, not giving the duo the privacy they seeked. 

 

But, Joohyun knew (and frankly loved) to be discreet.

 

“So, shall we… do something fun after this?” Joohyun asked pointedly, her eyes big, round and feigning naivety, looking at her bandmate, best friend and soulmate.

 

Soulmate that still didn’t quite catch the specific look. Instead, Seulgi’s face was neutral, processing as always. “Play something?” She echoed, as if to prompt Joohyun to say more.

 

“More or less,” Joohyun said softly with a smile, watching people walk to and fro with her eyes, but all her attention was still on Seulgi. “Just you and I, playing… with one another. Together.”

 

Seulgi grinned. “Ah, I got some board games I bought! We can play those, unnie.”

 

It was tricky to determine whether or not Seulgi was playing along or not, so Joohyun pressed further, getting a little closer to Seulgi and continuing. “Well, what if I’m not in the mood to play that?”

 

Ah, those words tainted with wicked intent, delivered with such innocence, but it was almost obvious to anyone who would’ve heard it. Seulgi, who had only looked away from her for a moment, slowly looked back at Joohyun. Her expression slightly different, like she had understood her girlfriend’s insinuation. With eyes widening with wonder and her head tilted curiously, she spoke. “Then, what would you like to play, unnie?”

 

Joohyun, who trusted that Seulgi was at least more aware of her hints and insinuations, smirked and playfully prodded her. “Something you like to play a lot.”

 

And Seulgi’s eyes and grin widened with glee.


 

“Kang Seulgi… this is not what I meant,” said Bae Joohyun, arms crossed and unable to keep a straight face as she watched Seulgi adorable scramble to her shelf, in that small tiny closet room of hers, desperately searching for ‘Clue’ 

 

No, not searching for A CLUE, but the board game ‘Clue.’ The tabletop game that Seulgi loved the most out of all the board games in existence. Yet, it hadn’t crossed her mind that it was very peculiar for Joohyun to ask to play it, given that it was just the two of them in the dorm and no one else. 

 

You would think she’d get it, but she didn’t. And you would think that Joohyun would be a little annoyed, but instead she giggled. “Yah, Kang Seulgi.”

 

In a rather cartoony manner, Seulgi pops her head out from her digging spot inside her closet to look at Joohyun with eyes round and full of wonder. There it was, that gorgeous, adorable processing look of Seulgi’s face. She stammered out a little before she spoke properly. “What did you mean then? You said–.”

 

“Seulgi,” Joohyun laughed and stopped her, carefully making her way to Seulgi. “You seriously still can’t take a hint?”

 

A small moment of silence…

 

“Wait…” Seulgi looked entirely at Joohyun, body turned to her now, standing a little hunched. “Wa-was there a hint?”

 

Joohyun exhaled with an air of resignation and acceptance, yet she still smiled. As if to say ‘Ah, seriously, Kang Seulgi…’ and yet that smile was filled with love and adulation for that embarrassed, but always well-meaning woman. 

 

“Shut up and kiss me, Kang Seulgi.”

 

Now with direct command, the hunched Seulgi stood up right with a big grin and a clear command. “Your wish, my command!”