Royal Bethroded

The Ink Slinger's Diary (Seulrene Drabble Collection)

Prompt: Jesus, authornim, you got a lot of unfinished WIPs. C'mon, show us one of your ideas!


 

Two kings had daughters born unaware of their destiny and status, born unaware that their destinies were forever intertwined. Two princesses that, in their adulthood, had only cordially bandied words suddenly were betrothed to one another in hopes of reuniting two feuding nations once and for all, in the name of peace and prosperity for the land they commanded over.

 

One princess, a brilliant fighter who specialised in fencing, long raven black her that looked like melted obsidian, silky smooth to touch but forbidden by many. Her eyes leonine and fierce, always donning the finest set of clothes. Even surrounded by her younger brothers, dashing men that could not wait to challenge their father for the title of King, Kang Seulgi looked handsome and far more like royalty than any of them. Her manners impeccable, her posture perfect, always aware of her body and how she came across. In royal parties, she was always the center of attention, despite having a cherubic and innocent looking face, she held an aura of fierceness that people could only feel attracted to. While her “brothers” were set to rule over the country once they grew older and the king was unable to continue, everyone felt far more confident if Seulgi was the one to take the spot. For she was the only legitimate one, which was a sentiment felt across the nation but never spoken aloud.

 

The other princess, frightening and gorgeous, was a genius tactician that took over her father briefly during war after he had an assassination attempt. The only woman at the discussion table, fiercely pointing at spots on the map, carefully giving instructions, unwavering in every decision despite having the proud Generals, Commanders and Advisors all upset that she spoke over them with such clear precision. Her eyes, cold like ice, yet warm like waterfalls when needed to be, stunned more than one person in her life time for good reason. Like tender snow, contrasting her blonde hair, many people coveted to look at her up close, sure that she was a goddess sent to save the humans – to save the country. Bae Joohyun insisted that she was nothing but a woman put in royal position, sneering in the face of those who saw her as something fantastic. She brutally sought revenge for the attempt of her father and with it came down entire villages until the invading armies died. That was not something a Goddess sent to save humans would do. Perhaps, she carried in her heart that guilt. So, she suggested a peace treaty with the neighbouring kingdom.

 

The King accepted immediately, like he had been waiting for that. When the peace treaty was signed, an arrangement was made to solidify it.

 

Two princesses bound together to marry one another. The plan seemed not to make sense to them, as it did not at all, but behind the garish curtains and the manners there laid a secret hidden in the tumultuous heart of the King. The King Bae that saw the future that no man should see, the terrifying overthrow that would befall him, and with excruciating detail saw what his own daughter had done in his absence. In his delirious state, he experienced the very bloodshed his daughter had committed. When she came to suggest peace, he felt it too in his heart that it was the best thing to do.

 

Kang Seulgi, in turn, had been a pacifist despite the inner chaos within her family. Brothers that were ready to fight one another for the throne, all close in age, while the King was ever paranoid of an assassination attempt made on him – by his own wife, by his own blood – and deathly afraid of the idea of Seulgi ever being in command of his kingdom. Perhaps he was shackled by the antiquated ideas of the past where women should not rule. As punishment by god would have it, his first (and only) child was Kang Seulgi. The others, unbeknownst to him at the time, were all children of other men that the queen had been to bed with for the King could no longer have children. The only heir was Seulgi, who was divine punishment. King Kang was distraught, unsure of his own future and with no vision – stark contrast to the man who deliriously saw it all – so when the proposal was presented, he accepted with little care. Kang Seulgi was set to marry the Princess of Aitaka to unify both nations in peace after such a long time of tense rivalry.

 

Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun sat next to one another without knowing what both of their futures would be like. Not knowing that beneath the surface, they were born soulmates.